• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Optima Battery Problem

Hi,

Long story short. My old battery was bad. Purchased the Optima Red Top from Optima's website directly a year ago. Worked fine until I let me NSX sit and forgot to hook up my battery tender, therefore my Battery drained. I recharged using tender with more than 10amps due to possible sulfation (as suggested by optima staff on their customer service line). Battery came back to life. However, battery started to drain rapidly still. If I leave car unhook for 2-3 days. completely drained. Then 2 days, 1 day, half a day, 3-4 hours, and then It just dies. I am confused, cause that ain't sulfation cause the tender knows if it is. Tender is not dead because I have 3 and I switched them around. Anyone know what I should do? Should I go through the warranty hassle? Anyone actually went through with the warranty claim as well?

Or should I just learn my lesson, and move on and grab a standard battery from walmart/costco? I just want the thing to last and I want it to work. Thanks!!!

I didn't have a optima but mine was doing the same thing. It always seemed weak except for when it was just taken off the tender. It died on the way to the shop so i just changed it to a AC delco they had on hand. It starts faster now then it ever has and now i don't worry about it anymore. I think i would try to get the optima replaced and sell it to purchase a normal battery if it was me.

Mike

I'm more a fan of Odyssey Battery than Optima. I've had odyssey batteries sit for 6 months at a time and give perfect starts and recharging on many different cars I have owned.

I'm not sure how/how long you charged your Optima but I understand they must be charged very slowly. I've had no issues with my red top for 3 years now. Of course, I may have just jinxed myself.

I'm not sure how/how long you charged your Optima but I understand they must be charged very slowly. I've had no issues with my red top for 3 years now. Of course, I may have just jinxed myself.

actually the rep told me over the phone to charge it with a charge with at least 10 amps for 8-12 hours and check it often so that it doesn't overheat etc. My charger was automatic as well so it brought the battery back around 6-8hours and I unhooked it. Check every couple hours after i unhook and the battery is still steadily dropping around 0.5-1V per couple hours. QQ

I just dont understand how you guys have battery issues, my 2004 is driven once every few months, and cranks everytime I start it no battery tender, nothing and I have a normal car battery in it.
this has been since I completed it in 2009. :eek: starts everytime anytime.

now if people with aftermarket radio amps etc. then I can understand but man I never have issues with my stock OEM battery

Joboo, if I have read and understand correctly, I only need to hook up another battery to trick the charger to charge the agm battery. My issue is that it does charge, but it also loses charge quite rapidly =( I think I should just give up and go oem.

^. Ya well it might be worth a try? I did that to mine when i left it too long and it brought it back to life. Its been 2+ yrs since and its been fine now that i leave it plugged it on low agm setting when in storage.

Optima batteries are junk! I've gone through 2 in the NSX and 2 sets (4) in my F250. I was gonna get another set last week and then found out that the NAPA batteries come with a 76 month warranty compared to the Optima 1 year for the same price......I'll never look back.

Yes - Optima batteries are definitely JUNK - they have been terrible since the late 90's when they started making them in China...

enough said, I am going oem!! (that is if it is not overly priced at the dealers. In Canada where i am they tend to charge around mark up an extra 100-150% or parts pricing compared to the US.) Was quoted a part for the NSX for $700+ when I can get it from oemacuraparts.com for $200... xD)

My question didn't get answered but the symptoms you describe are some of the characteristics of a sulfated battery. If your charger has a desulfation feature, it'll breakdown the sulfate and trickle/float charge after that.

I wouldn't give up on the battery for use in another application but for your NSX, I'd move on.

I've had issues with my battery since i bought the car in '10. No start on the car if it sat for two weeks. Bought a new delco 75mo battery and same issue. Completely stock stereo/security system, etc. I just disconnect if I know it will sit for longer than a week. Anyone know what my problem may be? Is this bad for the car to be constantly on a "drive cycle"?

I've had issues with my battery since i bought the car in '10. No start on the car if it sat for two weeks. Bought a new delco 75mo battery and same issue. Completely stock stereo/security system, etc. I just disconnect if I know it will sit for longer than a week. Anyone know what my problem may be? Is this bad for the car to be constantly on a "drive cycle"?
In my experience, it's normal for an NSX to be unable to start if it sits for two weeks without being driven and without the battery being charged. There's enough of a parasitic drain on the car from the stock systems (e.g. alarm) that it just can't sit that long without a charger.

I recommend getting an automatic charger - the kind that charges the battery but automatically shuts off when the battery is fully charged - for your car, and using it whenever it's going to sit for more than a week.

In my experience, it's normal for an NSX to be unable to start if it sits for two weeks without being driven and without the battery being charged. There's enough of a parasitic drain on the car from the stock systems (e.g. alarm) that it just can't sit that long without a charger.

I recommend getting an automatic charger - the kind that charges the battery but automatically shuts off when the battery is fully charged - for your car, and using it whenever it's going to sit for more than a week.

do you think the battery would last longer if the car sits unlocked,which would mean no alarm draining it presumably? mine's in a locked garage.

It's not the alarm.
My car could sit in my garage (unlocked) and the battery would drain enough not to start the engine in about two weeks. A float charger is the answer. There are tons of them around at a variety of price points.

It's not the alarm.
My car could sit in my garage (unlocked) and the battery would drain enough not to start the engine in about two weeks. A float charger is the answer. There are tons of them around at a variety of price points.

thanks,good to know.i haven't had a starting problem since i replaced my starter,and i usually drive the car 2-3 times a week.when my optima yellow top dies,i'm going to get an odyssey battery.

The battery in my 93 NSX was dead after I left the driver side door cracked overnight, I assume the door light drained it. I managed to revive it using a normal charger after the battery tender jr. failed to do so, but I'm paranoid about it happening again, so I'm careful about making sure the car is properly closed or connected to the battery tender. I think I have an optima battery in one of my other NSXs though, so I am religious about keeping them hooked up on a battery tender when in the garage.

Apologies to the OP for getting off topic. Thanks for the input guys, maybe Santa will leave a charger/tender for me under the tree.:wink:

Last edited:
Back