• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Optional Cavaran to NSXPO - Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I'll be trailering down Wednesday thru Bakersfield (possibly along with Shad @DA). Gotta stick to the 55-60mph limit the whole way :frown:.

The Wed morning caravan from LA is planning on stopping for lunch in Bakersfield around noon. Another meeting spot will be at a MacDonald's at the intersection of the I-15 & Hwy 138 at 11 am. There is also a Wed afternoon and Thursday morning caravan from the LA area.

I'm traveling to NSXPO from LA (where I live), but I'm considering going to the Bay Area (Brentwood actually) following NSXPO, likely Monday morning. What is this groups plans for the trip back?

Best,

Mario

I'll be heading back Sunday, don't know about the others.

Jack

I will also be returning early Sunday morning. Got to get back in time for Halloween trick or treat.

Jack/Yolanda,

What do you recommend bringing for the trip?

Perhaps you guys could put a list together for items such as: 2-way radios, bottles of water, camera, GPS, etc.

Also I was thinking of bringing stuff I normally bring to the track in case of any emergency/malfunction on the way. Things such as: extra quart of oil, torque wrench, can of fix a flat, socket wrench and a variety of sockets (10mm, 12mm, etc. ), can of brake fluid, extra pads, coolant, etc.

Jack/Yolanda,

Perhaps you guys could put a list together for items such as: 2-way radios, bottles of water, camera, GPS, etc.

Also I was thinking of bringing stuff I normally bring to the track in case of any emergency/malfunction on the way. Things such as: extra quart of oil, torque wrench, can of fix a flat, socket wrench and a variety of sockets (10mm, 12mm, etc. ), can of brake fluid, extra pads, coolant, etc.

I was just thinking of bringing water, radios, fix-a-flat and my wash stuff (along with my spouse of course:smile:).
I am am wrapping the paint with a film (item #77898 at www.griotsgarage.com) as I was warned about innocent looking dust clouds.

Advice on anything else to take would be appreciated.

I'll be returning home Monday, mid-morning.

Last edited:
Jack/Yolanda,

This is actually a very good question, what to bring?

Just got back from a 10-day run in the Vette and we brought with us everything but the kitchen sink. But in this little NSX, I'm having to rethink the list of stuff that I would normaly take on an extended drive.

Some things that we won't be taking this time.

Our own pillows
Tool box (5"x14"x16")
Ice chest Med. Igloo
extra clothes/shoes/jackets/hats
Camara bag
Food bag
Laundry bag
Lots of cleaning stuff for car
Fluids and spare parts

I'm thinking I can bring just about everything but just less of it and in smaller
containers/bags. I've even managed to squeeze two small fold-up chairs for the long car show day.
My tool box is going to be more the size of a small shoe box with a small 1/4" drive socket set and really small tools, tire repair kit etc.
A six pack Igloo cooler replaces the big one for traveling and we have one of those folded flat, plastic lined cardboard coolers for the room in Vegas since they don't have refrigerators.
I would just say bring the things that you absolutly need and leave the excessive things that you might need.
I wouldn't worry about the reliabilies of these cars by bringing alot of fluids and spare parts, just make sure tires/fluids etc are checked. Even though Death Valley sounds like the end of the earth, we will never be that far from assistence if needed.

Other than your wallet the one thing that everybody needs to bring are a pair of FRS 2-way radios that are charged and/or extra batteries.

Jack

How about a list of possible things one can/should bring that you can place within your first post. I will start the list here:

1. 2-way radios
2. cleaning supplies (for those that wanna look their best at the show)
3. folding chair
4. flashlight
5. small tool kit
6. small cooler
7. water
8. camera/video
9. fluids (oil/coolant)
10. Fix a Flat
11. reservation confirmations
12. GPS/Map (for the ride back)
13. sunglasses
14. lucky rabbit's foot
15.Car cover

Last edited:
I was just thinking of bringing water, radios, fix-a-flat and my wash stuff (along with my spouse of course:smile:).
I am am wrapping the paint with a film (item #77898 at www.griotsgarage.com) as I was warned about innocent looking dust clouds.

Advice on anything else to take would be appreciated.

I'll be returning home Monday, mid-morning.
3-myths about Death Valley.
It's always hot there.
It's flat and ugly.
Dust storms are going to remove the paint on your car.

In the 25 or so times I've been to Death Valley I've only ever seen a few dust storms and they only occur near the sand dunes at Stovepipe Wells (3 or 4 mile stretch). Usually in the Spring and only with very, very high northerly winds late in the afternoon and early evening. The odds of a dust storm during our run is almost nil. I would bet that one would have a better chance of damage to a car on any Interstate with trucks and tire debris than on this route. I would also bet that tailgating causes the majority of paint damage which is totally avoidable.
Any clear bra protection however, is always a great idea. I wouldn't own cars like this without it!

Jack

Forecast for Wed. 27th through Death Valley. A high of 80 degrees. :cool:

Jack

Last edited:
WOW! sounds like this is guna be one hell of a ride!:eek:

You guys make sure to document this wis plenty of photos & vids.... Byron, I designate you official CEN-CAL representative.
Make us proud! :cool:

As of this morning, weather.com (for Wed 10/27) shows a high of 73° for Furnace Creek Ranch and a 12 mph WSW wind.
Bakersfield shows a low of 51°, so I imagine it will be about 55° when we depart at 8a.
Las Vegas shows a high for Wednesday of 68°; I would guess it will still be above 60° when we arrive.

Is everyone bringing their car cover too?

Last edited:
As of this morning, weather.com (for Wed 10/27) shows a high of 73° for Furnace Creek Ranch and a 12 mph WSW wind.
Bakersfield shows a low of 51°, so I imagine it will be about 55° when we depart at 8a.
Las Vegas shows a high for Wednesday of 68°; I would guess it will still be above 60° when we arrive.

Is everyone bringing their car cover too?

I shall add that to my list of things for people to bring. I dont think I will bring mine cause it will take up too much space.

Leaving on Sunday? Monday morning? Serious? Am I the only one who's gonna track their car?

J

Leaving on Sunday? Monday morning? Serious? Am I the only one who's gonna track their car?

J

Your tracking your car? I didn't want to cause I use different wheels for the track and I bring a lot of extra stuff. Plus i wouldn't want anything to break so far away from home.

So who is leaving Sunday? I am planning on heading out right after the Las Vegas Blvd, photo shoot. Gotta get home before dark for trick or treating.

Emergency Request

Does anyone have an extra pair of engine hatch hinges I could borrow? I seem to have misplaced mine.

A few pics from Day 1

Attachments

• IMG_5214.jpg
    IMG_5214.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5217.jpg
    IMG_5217.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5246.jpg
    IMG_5246.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5291.jpg
    IMG_5291.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5293.jpg
    IMG_5293.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5298.jpg
    IMG_5298.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5310.jpg
    IMG_5310.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5350.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5367.jpg
    IMG_5367.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5357.jpg
    IMG_5357.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 46
A BIG thank you to Jack and Yolanda for setting up such a great drive. My wife and I really enjoyed it and we have some great memories now. We really appreciate you guys setting this up.

Back