• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OT: Need opinions on 2nd car

Hey guys, I've been using my NSX as a daily driver for quite sometime now and it has occured to me that I needed a 2nd car. It's not that I don't like to add mileage to it. The problem is the road condition is like crap here, I don't mind avoiding podholes but I prefer getting another car so that I don't need to pay as much attention or curse at the city (plus look at the rims) whenever I unfortunately ran into one. On top of that, the NSX is pretty flashy and I don't want ppl to know where I live since I drive around quite a lot. With another car, I would actually enjoy the luxurious advantage in parking at a meter and wouldn't need to check out for scratches everytime before I step into the car or watching out for suspicious ppl walking pass it while I'm eating, etc... If anyone feels the same, feel free to add to the list.

So here's the list (I've narrowed down a lot)

1) RSX Type-S
2) MINI Cooper S
3) Any cheap SUVs around 20-25k

I would've done a poll but I guess opinions does matter at this point. Thanx.

P.S. The girl that I'm dating is a little bit annoyed with the fact I'm anal about my car.

------------------
'98-T Kaiser Silver/Black

I test drove a Mini S and it was a blast. Handles like a go cart and the build quality felt like a BMW. I'd go for the Mini unless you have to pay a premium.

Did you get your NSX at Acura of Boston, I got my 98 there and they had a Kaiser Silver. Mine was the Monte Carlo Blue.

Tim

No, I didn't. I got it from Herb Chambers as I was looking for a Porsche. The story was, an old guy traded in the NSX for a 996TT so my attention turned towards the NSX immediately. It's such a coincidence that the car happens to be silver (which I like), MT (which is a must), targa (which is a plus), 3.2L and relatively low mileage. There's no reason not to get it since I've always loved the NSX back to when I was 11. Ran carfax on it, checked out the previous owner's records and next thing I know, I put down a deposit after knocking off $2500. Traded in my car and drove off with the NSX the week after.

So the Cooper S is that good eh? My girl has a crush on that car too and I'm sure she'd want me to get it (apparently she likes the babyblue color, oh boy).

Originally posted by NsxJoy:
Hey guys, I've been using my NSX as a daily driver for quite sometime now and it has occured to me that I needed a 2nd car.

P.S. The girl that I'm dating is a little bit annoyed with the fact I'm anal about my car.

I'm confused - do you need a second car or second girlfriend?
confused.gif
biggrin.gif

Seriously, a car not on your list but one you may wish to look at would be the Subaru WRX. Rally heritage, not as flashy as the NSX (or even the Mini), handles good, good power, doesn't mind potholes, 4 doors (a wagon version is also available) and all wheel drive will be killer in the snow of Massachusetts. Plus it's in the price range of the SUVs you mentioned.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Wish I would have known you were lokkin for a suv. I just sold my 98 nissan pathfinder
36,000 bose moonroof maroon for $15,800. It had to go so I could buy my NSX. I'm buying it in 3 weeks

Mich,

Haha. No, I'm not looking for a second girlfriend, in fact, I don't even have a girlfriend. This girl has been my date for 5 months now and I wouldn't wanna let her go
smile.gif

Back to cars, I'm no big fan of Subarus simply because they look somewhat ugly. Performance is definitely important (and I don't doubt the WRX) but appearance is quite an issue to me.

Glad that you know driving in Mass is such a pain, with the addition of snow makes it the worst combo. I kinda missed the S4 I had so I wouldn't settle for any 4wd sedan less than that. With the budget of 25K +/-, I can only look at front wheel drive cars or cheap SUVs.

As for Dan, I've still got 3 more months to get a 2nd car, I shall wait for the next opportunity.

Mich,

...I'm no big fan of Subarus simply because they look somewhat ugly...

No argument from me there.

Glad that you know driving in Mass is such a pain, with the addition of snow makes it the worst combo...

I am from Michigan remember. Our roads don't win many awards!
frown.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Well for mid-20's I'd say get a 91-92 high milleage NSX :p

------------------
1994 Red/Black NSX #418
Forums Nazi Groupie

"cheap SUVs"

I'm pretty happy with the loaded 99' Land Rover Discovery II I picked up on couple days ago for $22k ... just under KBB trade-in price. The fiance loves it. It might grow on me.

I need another NSX, although I'm waiting for some killer deals on the old style when the new (if it ever happens) one comes out.

[This message has been edited by TES (edited 23 May 2002).]

Thanx for the input guys.

Right now, I'm looking at buying a new car whereas the cars you mentioned are all pre-owned prices. There's nothing wrong with pre-owned vehicles but that just mean I have to do more research and running around.

What I meant by cheap SUVs are like CRV and RAV4, of course, chances are that I'm not gonna get it. I put them on the list due to their practicality and wonder if anyone might praise them. If I had a slightly higher budget, I would've gone for the FreeLander.

Basically, RSX, CooperS or SUV???

Yea, I test drove the RSX-S the other day and it was quite nice. I like the feel of the steering wheel as well as the interior design. The only complain is its lack of mid-range power. I know, it's a 4 cyl... blah blah blah... I didn't expect much anyway. So I guess the competition narrowed down to Cooper S and RSX-S.

I should be test driving the Cooper tomorrow but before that, has anyone drove those 2 cars? I'd appreciate any comments on both, thanx.

I just bought a 2002 Subaru WRX. It's a turbo 4 cyl. with 227HP and All Wheel Drive. I paid 24K for it. It's a lot of fun to drive.

I considered an RSX and a Mini Cooper, but we don't have an Acura or MINI dealer in town and I wanted a car 2nd car that could be serviced locally. I have to go out of town for service on my NSX and my wife's MDX.

Matt

------------------
2000 NSX-T #49
Silverstone/Black
11,000 miles
No Mods

...the NSX is pretty flashy and I don't want ppl to know where I live since I drive around quite a lot....

2) MINI Cooper S

I think the Mini will attract more attention from non "car people" than an NSX. The non-discerning public just loves "cute" cars (ie..Miata, VW Beetle etc...)

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I agree but by then, people will recognize me with a Mini rather than the NSX. It's not like I don't give a damn about the Cooper S but I don't want people to know the NSX's whereabouts. Call me crazy or anal but there are quite a bit of vandalism going on outhere.

Anyway, my mind is set on the Cooper S. In fact, I went to the dealer yesterday and they told me I can get one by next week. I guess it's hard to believe since the wait for Cooper S is about 8-12 months.

the cooper would be really nice, i sat in one the other day but didnt have time to drive it.

have you considered a preowned sport ute? i used to have nothing but cars, and had to rethink the practicality. especially with owning an nsx. you could have the best of both worlds.

i think one of the best deals out there is a preowned land rover discovery. they are the real thing off-road. and the value plummets dramatically when you drive it off the lot, making them a real bargain in the low 20k range. i used to have a series 1, and it was cool, but the series 2 are even better.

good luck to ya

I'd personally go for the RSX-S. I just purchased one a couple of weeks ago and it is simply a joy to drive. I've even read in a review where the writer said the RSX-S was now his favorite car to shift in!

Back