• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Out of state register ??

I have a question...

If I buy a NSX out of the state I am living in, how do they go about registering it so I can drive it back home? Do they give you a temp tag? Could someone explain the process to me?

Not sure if I'm gonna be of must help but I got pulled over the 2nd day I took possession of my nsx in texas. Got popped for speeding, and all that jazz. Anyhow, my car had no registration sticker, no proof of insurance. I told him I just bought it, showed him the bill of sale we wrote up along with a copy of the seller's driver's license, MAYBE a registration form (don't remember) and told him that my insurance covers me for 30 days automatically when I buy a car.

He gave me my speeding ticket and left. I even chit chatted with a small town texas cop at a gas station and she never made any mention of anything.

The process can depend on if the purchase is private party vs. retail.

If retail.......the dealer should know the process. My experience has been that you purchase a temporary registration tag via the dealer.

If private party......you purchase a temporary registration tag in the state of purchase from the DMV, then purchase a full tag from your home state DMV.

Last edited:
IF you are purchasing from a dealer, they should provide you a temporary registration for probably 3 business days, so in addition you will probably be covered for the weekend. Also, call your insurance company, give them the VIN and get at least a temporary insurance. Keep the bill of sale in your car and I think you're covered.

IF buying PP and for any other q's, call your local DMV office. Probably avoid speeding too much, because you never know if you get some pissed off cop type who can give you a headache without all the documentation.

Just an FYI that I learned.....

If you purchase a car out of state and live in NY and get it registered and drive it home, the 10 day temporary inspection sticker that they give you is actually valid 10 days from the vehicle's entry into the state, regardless of the date on the paper sticker.

I would also carry proof of purchase when driving it home. Insure it before you take possession. Your provider can print you a card on the spot. They'll just need the info., year, vin. ect.

You can easily get temp registration through your DMV. In AZ all you have to do is go online, enter the VIN and they'll give you temp tags for a few days. You can go to a 3rd party DMV and get 30 day temp tags if you want. Most state laws require insurance companies to offer a grace period, where they cover any new vehicle under the same coverage as your current vehicles. It's 30 days for most insurance companies.

So basically, get temp tags through your DMV and you'll be covered.

Just make sure you have a bill of sale and the title that is signed off by the PO. That is enough proof that the car is yours. You have a grace period before you need to register it depending on the state you live in. You can call your insurance co after you get back, they automatically cover a new purchase.

I haven't heard about the DMV temp tag thing, but I didnt have time to waste after I bought my car...I had 1100 miles to cover.

Previous Owner :wink:

Oh believe me I would have the car insured before I drove it. I have USAA so I wouldn't have a problem getting the car insured and printing off proof of insurance. I am currently looking at 2 online one in New York and one in Las Vegas. both 91. but I would probably have to fly out to pick up the car and then drive back.

even if you don't call to add the vehicle to your insurance policy... its automatic covered for 30days since its a new vehicle purchase? What if I have liability on one car and collision on my 2nd car? What coverage am I getting then?

even if you don't call to add the vehicle to your insurance policy... its automatic covered for 30days since its a new vehicle purchase? What if I have liability on one car and collision on my 2nd car? What coverage am I getting then?

You should call your insurance company for details. Laws regarding this vary by state. I believe with some states it is 14 days.

Back