• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Overflow or replace coolant tank?

Dont have prior history of this issue since just bought '92. The coolant tank looked empty so I filled it but by mistake went way above max line. After driving a while and parking in my garage I noticed coolant dripping from the engine compartment. About 2 cups dripped down. It looked like it was coming from the overflow hose on the back of the tank, but there are two small cracks in the tank above the max line. No fluid was leaking from the tank itself that I could see.

After the engine cooled the dripping has stopped.

Based on this description, do I need a new tank or should I chalk it up to the overfilling of the tank? :redface:

If you can see cracks I'd relace it pronto. That tank is a known failure item on the older NSXes. The coolant could have come from the overfill but the cracks are still there and will only get worse, leading to a failure at a probable unconvenient time. Happy Motoring!

You want to replace your coolant bottle. You can get an aftermarket cheaper than a new OEM one. Or you can buy a used one.

The coolant sytem is pressurized and chalking will not last very long.

The coolant tank looked empty so I filled it but by mistake went way above max line.

What does 'looked emtpy' mean? Was it really or couldn't you see it through the bottle which is very common for old tanks?
Replace it anyway AND: NSX headgaskets don't like empty coolant tank bottles at all! I'd keep an eye on it. :wink:

This is what you want Irvin:
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2308

The OEM tank splits at the horizontal seam. I've been through 3 of them until finally going for the gorgeous Dali tank.

Send Mark at Dali an email at [email protected] and let him know you are a friend of mine. Just order the thing from his website. I can help you install it or Dwight can do it.

oem-billet-coolant-tank-v2.image.jpg

If you wish to unwisely ignore Hugh's advice, someone has just today posted up a fairly new OEM tank in the parts section (not me).

Ordered a round black powdercoated from Dali yesterday. My "leak" from the OEM seems to have just about disappeared, so it was probably overflow, but who cares? :smile:

This is what you want Irvin:
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=2308

The OEM tank splits at the horizontal seam. I've been through 3 of them until finally going for the gorgeous Dali tank.

Send Mark at Dali an email at [email protected] and let him know you are a friend of mine. Just order the thing from his website. I can help you install it or Dwight can do it.

oem-billet-coolant-tank-v2.image.jpg
Not looking to start something but with all of the information about NSXers having trouble with Dali (non delivery and no refunds)...why is this recommendation given???:frown:

Not looking to start something but with all of the information about NSXers having trouble with Dali (non delivery and no refunds)...why is this recommendation given???:frown:

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I received the tank from Dali without any hastle or problem. In fact, Mark emailed me before shipment that he was sending it ASAP (even before my payment got to him). I guess as with any volume business, you've got good and bad experiences. This was one of the good ones.

I would replace it with the factory part, I used to have an aftermarket overflow tank, and John Martin said thats the worst thing to put on your car. I have the factory tank back on, and will be putting the type-r black cover on it. Frank

Hi Irv,
Any issues with the newly installed Dali tank? It really looks great in there and complements the black manifold and valve covers nicely. Did you hop over to Delray Acura and introduce yourself to Harold and Ian and get the fluid to the right level? Give me a holler. I found a spare Battery Tender I can lend you.

HH

Hi Hugh.

No issues so far. It does look good. Thanks mucho again for your install and the good conversation to boot! I did get coolant but not at Delray, as I happened to be passing P.B. Acura on the way back from my Monday golf game & they gave me a 10% discount as well.

I also decided to buy a battery tender & got the Shoemacher for $20
@ Walmart (I am a spender-hey!). Will give you a call when I get back. Like the new avatar. I suspect there will be a few more in the near future. Hope the legal thing works out soon. Let me know if I can help. Stay well.

Irv

Back