• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Own BOTH a Lotus & NSX?

Anyone have/owned BOTH a modern Lotus and an NSX?

I wanna chat with you about the differences.

Please send me an email at anil DOT sethi AT xlipstream DOT com.

(Please don't PM me as I don't check that as often)

Back to lurking, still in India...

Anyone have/owned BOTH a modern Lotus and an NSX?

I wanna chat with you about the differences.

Please send me an email at anil DOT sethi AT xlipstream DOT com.

(Please don't PM me as I don't check that as often)

Back to lurking, still in India...

How modern are we talking? I owned an '84 Esprit Turbo back in the day. Of course I like my NSX much better. :smile:

I'm looking for driving impressions on an Exige or Elise, specifically one converted via the Honda Type-R motor (swap) that's so popular with UK Lotus owners.

Have a S1 Motorsport Elise and S1 160... driven many iterations of them. Am a fan of the K20 conversions, but they're not trouble free, just because the word Honda is involved!

Have a S1 Motorsport Elise and S1 160... driven many iterations of them. Am a fan of the K20 conversions, but they're not trouble free, just because the word Honda is involved!
thats exactly what i need to know about. sent you a skype request via email. thanks rob

I know of a person that has/had a Lotus Elise recently and had multiple FI NSX's also.
PM me if you want his name and I'll pass it along.

I know of a person that has/had a Lotus Elise recently and had multiple FI NSX's also.
PM me if you want his name and I'll pass it along.
That would be great. Please email me the contact info, or PM is easier. Thx.

Contact Daniel (jdmnsxr), he's owned a few of both.

I have had 4 nsxs' and a 05 elise!
Elise is like a street legal go kart, faster than the nsx, handles a little better,built for speed not comfort, hard getting in and out of, good for short trips and a very bad a## looking car, loved mine but traded for new vette (mistake),

Nsx much more refined, still drop dead sexy and in my opinion still the greatest car ever made, will have one again, God willing! Hope this helps, I don't compose too well!

Lotus anything sucks. start your Lotus and it might break down

Haven't owned one, but have had some seat time in a late model Exige S (supercharged). It's sort of like driving a cartoon car - the agility/turn in/cornering characteristics are beyond what I'm used to with other most sports cars. That being said, it's best on a smooth track. That same car I've driven was quite nervous and jumpy over uneven pavement, where the NSX feels much more planted and confidence inspiring over less than perfect. NSX is a muuuch better street/all around car, the Lotus is a ninja weapon. It's a good 'get your fix' toy - a real hoot to drive it for a while, then it gets a little old. But then after a while you start to miss it again and need another dose.

For comparison sake, the Exige also had a some sort of factory 'track tuned' suspension option over the normal Exige S and the NSX had stock springs and lowered on bilstiens, so obviously YMMV depending on how the car is set up. I imagine a stock Elise will likely be softer and more forgiving over uneven pavement.

i'm not sure if the OP, serialNSXer, would consider the newest exige S a fast car as his nsx is a full nsx-r replica, with a welded targa top, LSD, 3.8L stroker, and nsx-r suspension, plus a lot more.

is that correct Anil?

The consensus i have read is that they're amazing to drive for short stints or at the track, but on the streets, it's a handful in terms of lack of comfort, ingress/egress difficulty, and lack of storage.

do the k swap! how it should have come from the factory.

i'm not sure if the OP, serialNSXer, would consider the newest exige S a fast car as his nsx is a full nsx-r replica, with a welded coupe top,OS Giken 4.40 LSD, flywheel, short gears, clutch, 3.8L stroker, JRZ two way suspension, BBK plus a lot more.

is that correct Anil?

The consensus i have read is that they're amazing to drive for short stints or at the track, but on the streets, it's a handful in terms of lack of comfort, ingress/egress difficulty, and lack of storage.

do the k swap! how it should have come from the factory.

Fixed :smile:

I think Anil should just ship his car to me and I'll drive it for him to keep it running good. =D

You can't really beat the Lotus for a track car.

Last edited:
Owned 2 NSX's and drove a new Evora. I wrote the following in a previous post:
Fun car. Entry/exit as easy as NSX, not like previous Lotus’s. Ride and handling were smooth, felt like the car loved the road. The handling was superb and the size/shape of the flat-bottom steering wheel felt like it belonged in your hands. The car has a very tight turning circle .... I pulled a huey on a narrow road with no problem. It’s an easy car to parallel park on a busy street once you get used to the camera. Braking was very special, I felt, and it had a firm pedal with an immediate bite. Probably good for the track, as is. Acceleration was good, better than the Boxter S. Supercharged version, when available, will be the way to go. There was a nice growl to the car in the 3 to 4000 range. The gears are short and sweet, however the shift lever itself felt a little sloppy. Had a tight cabin, good fit with nice ergonomics. Poor rear visibility, hence the rear camera, which was kinda nice.
If you enjoy your NSX, this is a nice DD to compliment it. Not to replace the NSX though. 3 year, 36k warranty. $84k? .............. a bit much, $76k would be more like it.

Can't add much to the thread.

But, Anil - please let me know when I send you a check for the Type R.:wink: The car needs to be excercised regularly:biggrin:

I own both....and a Supra. :biggrin:

My Pops Old TT sold it about 4 months ago. I liked it better in just about every way except for the ride and wind noise you could tell it was a fiberglass car. It had a ruff ride; but handled amazing. In the three years we had the car it was very reliable for us with no issues in the 30kmiles we put on it.

DSC00804.jpg

Last edited:
Elise and NSX here.

Elise is a better handling, faster, more fun car to drive around town.

Not as practical or as livable as the NSX.

Never had one problem with the Elise.

Elise and NSX here.

Elise is a better handling, faster, more fun car to drive around town.

Not as practical or as livable as the NSX.

Never had one problem with the Elise.

Same here. Had both. Lotus took the Celica engine and made it perform at a higher level, but also made it far more unreliable. Typical. Yes, the Elise handles better and is more fun to drive IMHO. But, it's all about your priorities. It is a seriously a road legal go kart. The NSX is more for the all-around type sports car that is good (almost great) at everything. So, regardless of the engine, pure ownership experience. . . . .NSX. Performance of what you insinuate. . . . .Elise.

Here's my 1967 Lotus Super 7 next to my NSX :)
34744_460747811223_690446223_6554603_7420313_n.jpg

:cool:

All this Lotus talk reminds me of an old acronymn.

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious

:biggrin:

All this Lotus talk reminds me of an old acronymn.

Lots
Of
Trouble
Usually
Serious

:biggrin:
With Lotus you got to Go New or go home. The older Lotus were riddled with issues. But the new ones not so much.

LOL, they are smart enough to use Toyota engine now.

Although they went through the Celica engine and altered it so much, they even managed to make that engine unreliable. That's the only reason I parted with mine. It was ridiculous.

Back