• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

P-1607 Engine code

Check engine light shows P-1607 which is Power Control Module or Engine Control Module. My 2000 with 60K miles will only run for a few minutes before it completely stalls out. It stalled out four times on the 6 mile trip trip from my office to my home. The car has a new battery and a new ground cable. All the connections have been cleaned. I also rebuilt the starter by changing out the contacts and the plunger a few weeks ago. Does anyone know of a shop that can repair the ECM. I got one quote of almost $400. Thanks in advance for your help. Jerry

Why not just buy a new ECM for $800 and not risk having your existing one repaired with a shoddy job. Since it's a rather complicated component, I don't know how much trust you have with this particular vendor who quoted you $400. Check out this thread, http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/169658-Check-Engine-Light-P1607-and-P1410. Basically, my car had the same P1607 and I troubleshot everything known to man to finally conclude it's the ECM. I spoke to Acura and they basically told me that they don't do any repairs since it costs more to repair than to just put in a new/known good unit. I did that and my car has been fine since then.

The down-side to buying new is that you will have to deal with programming the immobilizer on the new ECU to recognize your key. You need to factor that cost into the replacement cost. This same problem applies to borrowing an ECU for testing. The donor of the borrowed ECU may not be too keen to have their ECU reprogrammed.

Larry B. may know of some trick to defeat the immobilizer for testing purposes (short of getting out a soldering iron to defeat the immobilizer daughter board). The Honda service manual does not offer anything up.

Module

Thanks guys. I purchased a module with the exact same part number as mine and am waiting for it to be delivered. Does anyone know if the module can be taken to an Acura dealer and reset or does the car have to be towed to the dealer once the module is installed? I can't see the Acura dealer installing my part and programming the module. Chmit, did you have to reprogram your module? Thanks again. Jerry

It's better that you bring your car in since more than likely the acura technician will not trust what you say. They will do diagnostics themselves and determine the course of action. When they reprogram your new ECM, they will install it, test it, and do a test drive as well to make sure everything is ok.

P-1607 update

I just spoke to the service dept. at my local Acura dealer. The rep. there knows me and the car. The deal is that after I install the new module, they have to reprogram the car and the keys. Upside is that the cost is one hour of labor. Downside is that I have to have the car towed to the dealer. I can't even drive the car using the old module because it stalls out about every two minutes. For the price I purchased the used module, I can buy three of them before I come close to the price of a new dealer item. I will keep you all posted and again thanks for your help. Jerry

Back