• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paddle shifters ??????

Paddle shifters ?????? HELP PLEASE

I had HEARD that there are paddles on the steering wheel of the tip-tronic NSX's.

First: Is this true ????
Second: What year did this start at ??

I am looking at a 98' and it's an auto. I have not gone to see it yet cause it's in FLA.

Joe

COME ON someone has to be able to tell me if this is true.........

Last edited:
Yes, from '95 on. Please note that the auto NSXs only come with 252hp (3.0L V6).

However, the tiptronic mechanism IS the paddle shifter you are referring to, but please be aware that it still uses a conventional automatic with a torque converter (unlike Ferrari's F1 Paddle Tranny).

Paddle lever

The NSX doesn't have paddle shifters connected to the steering wheel like those found on a Ferarri F1 versions fo the F355 and F360. There is a lever on the stalk (not connected to the steering wheel) accessible with your right fingers that will flip upward and downward to shift the gears. It's like a turn indicator switch but controls the transmission.

Yeah, BMW or Porsches tip is a good analogy. NOT the BMW SMG, however, which is a true sequential tranny with paddle shifters (clutchless manual).

spookyp said:
Yeah, BMW or Porsches tip is a good analogy. NOT the BMW SMG, however, which is a true sequential tranny with paddle shifters (clutchless manual).

"clutchless manual" is right, "sequential tranny" is wrong. Both the BMW and Ferrari SMG and F1 system still uses conventional transmission, they replaced the need to use the clutch pedal with electronically controlled clutch operation, thus there is no need for the driver to engage/disengage the clutch. A true sequential transmission has straight cut gears and has up/down shift pattern instead of the traditional double H pattern. I don't think a true sequential tranmission is a streetable solution right now due to heavy wear and tear and service costs. Maybe it the future it would be.

maomaonsx said:
"clutchless manual" is right, "sequential tranny" is wrong. Both the BMW and Ferrari SMG and F1 system still uses conventional transmission, they replaced the need to use the clutch pedal with electronically controlled clutch operation, thus there is no need for the driver to engage/disengage the clutch. A true sequential transmission has straight cut gears and has up/down shift pattern instead of the traditional double H pattern. I don't think a true sequential tranmission is a streetable solution right now due to heavy wear and tear and service costs. Maybe it the future it would be.

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing or anything but I believe BMW SMG and Ferrari's F1 gearbox both use sequential transmissions.

I don't think its a requirement of sequential transmissions to have straight cut gears either. Just because World Rally Cars have straight cut gears and sequential trannies doesn't mean its required, right?

Sequential is just referring to the way the mechanism works.

Do you know for a fact that M3's and Modena's have bell shaped trannies (traditional double H pattern) rather than the ratcheting drum type trannies of sequentials?

And on the non-technical side of things, All those companies who use the fake sequential (auto gearbox with merely a gear selector) call it something else other than sequential: e-shift, tiptronic, sportshift...

Why would BMW call it SMG: Sequential Manual Gearbox, if it truely wasn't a sequential gearbox? They have a lot of face to lose if it isn't the real deal ya know?

i think you're correct

Rubber Chicken said:
I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing or anything but I believe BMW SMG and Ferrari's F1 gearbox both use sequential transmissions.

I don't think its a requirement of sequential transmissions to have straight cut gears either. Just because World Rally Cars have straight cut gears and sequential trannies doesn't mean its required, right?

Sequential is just referring to the way the mechanism works.
it IS sequential in operation (you go up/down 1 gear at a time), just like you would on a motorcycle or most purpose-built racecars...

I think maomao was referring more to the "racing-style" trannys which (sequential or otherwise) have straight-cut gears, typically no synchros, and require operator care to rev-match on shifts. Upshifts less so, but really important on downshifts.

Very timely post. Just last night NSXlent in AZ and I were talking to a prospective NSX buyer at the Pavilions, and he mentioned the shifting paddles. We had of course never heard of these, and thought he was thinking of the Ferrari F1 tranny. We might have taken him more serious except he said "the automatic is faster than the 5-speed." :rolleyes:

Back