• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paint question

ak

Legendary Member
I had my front nose re-painted recently and it is bubbling up badly. If I leave something like a bug or bird poop for several hours on it, it leaves a mark. I will take it back to the shop to get it repainted but I'm wondering if there's any way to avoid this from happening again? I'm guessing that the material used on the front nose(urethane?) isn't so easy to paint but factory paint on the nose seemed to hold up much better. Any ideas?

Bubbling paint is from air/gas coming from below.
1)Can be from improper mixing (ratio).
2)Incompatible ingredients.
3)Micros small holes in the painted surface.
4)The substrate was not fully cured(flashed) before top coat application.
5)Bubbling on plastic parts can also be from poor cleaning(not removing all the release agent or from too high bake temperature.

Bird droppings can etch any paint especially new paint (it take about 60-90 days for a full cure.)
Think about it. A bird has to digest bugs and has strong acid to do so. When you see it, get off your car as soon as you can by flushing with lots of water.

The plastic parts on a NSX are not unusual as matter of fact the materials are commonplace in the auto industry. They should pose no problem for a informed professional but, even the best can have a mistake. Take it back to your shop and I'll bet they straighten it out.

i know your supposed to let paint cure on repainted cars. but if lets say you buy a car manufactured in may 2003 and you bought the car in may 2003, does that mean you have to let the paint cure too? even though its from the factory?

bayareansx1999 said:
i know your supposed to let paint cure on repainted cars. but if lets say you buy a car manufactured in may 2003 and you bought the car in may 2003, does that mean you have to let the paint cure too? even though its from the factory?

No, you wouldn't have to let the paint cure, because they dip the car body ( shell ) into tanks. They dip them into a metal conditioner first then it goes into a primer surfacer then to the colour. It is then baked so hot that it would allmost be cure by the time it comes out of the paint shop. All thebumpers ( facia's ) and mirrors or any other plactic parts are painted in a seperate area. Once all the parts are painted then it goes back out onto the line and getts assembled.

All paints take about 3 weeks for all the chemicals to be releast.

pbassjo said:
Bubbling paint is from air/gas coming from below.
1)Can be from improper mixing (ratio).
2)Incompatible ingredients.
3)Micros small holes in the painted surface.
4)The substrate was not fully cured(flashed) before top coat application.
5)Bubbling on plastic parts can also be from poor cleaning(not removing all the release agent or from too high bake temperature.

Bird droppings can etch any paint especially new paint (it take about 60-90 days for a full cure.)
Think about it. A bird has to digest bugs and has strong acid to do so. When you see it, get off your car as soon as you can by flushing with lots of water.

The plastic parts on a NSX are not unusual as matter of fact the materials are commonplace in the auto industry. They should pose no problem for a informed professional but, even the best can have a mistake. Take it back to your shop and I'll bet they straighten it out.

I'll back that up!!!

Lime Green NSX said:
No, you wouldn't have to let the paint cure, because they dip the car body ( shell ) into tanks. They dip them into a metal conditioner first then it goes into a primer surfacer then to the colour. It is then baked so hot that it would allmost be cure by the time it comes out of the paint shop. All thebumpers ( facia's ) and mirrors or any other plactic parts are painted in a seperate area. Once all the parts are painted then it goes back out onto the line and getts assembled.

All paints take about 3 weeks for all the chemicals to be releast.

Not all cars are dipped as assembled units. That is a older technique that is being used less and less(large open vats of solvent based chemicals constantly venting and changing balance of ingredients) and I don't believe the color coat is dipped on any car in this day and age especially the NSX.
BMW is, or at least was, powder coating some cars.

DuPont, Spies-Hecker, PPG to name a few are very clear in their Product Data Sheets that a full cure take at least 60 days or longer (DuPont's used to read 90 days). Depending on the ambient tempertaure (they don't cure very fast if at all under 60 degress fahrenheit.) This includes coatings force cured (as in spray booths).

Thanks to some good points. It has been over half a year and I'm still having issues so it must be the paint job. This will cost me another down time with my nsx :(

Powder Coating?

>>BMW is, or at least was, powder coating some cars

Very interesting. This explains something I've seen on some M3's - the metal panels on these cars (in some colors only - dark red and medium blue come to mind) look like the color is embedded into a hard plastic surface - kinda like a telephone. Anyone else notice this?

Monaco Blue Pearl?

This is off the subject, but I was wondering what the "pearl" means in my color (monaco blue pearl)? Is that a process that gives an iridescent look. What is the process?

Also, not to sound dumb, but what exactly is powder coating?

Thanks

Thanks pbassjo

I am considering powder coating my calipers, but have read that engine paint (with a brush) works. I am very anal about my car, so do you think the powder coating is worth it?

Thanks again, you seem very knowledgeable about paints.
:)

Actually, modern cars are generally dipped for their primer paint stage(s). This is called e-coat (e = electrostatic) because the primer vat is negatively charged in order to promote adhesion to the positively charged body-in-white. The color coat is never, never, never applied by dip. Color coat and clear coat are applied in spray booths, usually by robotic application.

tabasco said:

I am considering powder coating my calipers, but have read that engine paint (with a brush) works.

Powder coating uses a very high bake temp and would maybe damage some of the seals. It would be hard to get all the brake fluid out so that it would not flow and go on the paint when baked.
My guess is that to powder coat calipers they would have to be dissembled bare bones(no seals). I have limited knowledge and expertise with powdercoating so it would be best to ask the
powdercoating company you are considering using.

High heat paint, brushed or sprayed on a clean caliper will work fine, it did on mine.

As for dipping parts for e-coat application it must be why so many parts, new OEM unpainted parts that is, have runs, sags etc., in the e-coat when delivered.

Back