• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Parking an NSX

I’ve noticed that the issue of parking an NSX has come up on the forum from time to time. I would like to share some tips on reducing the risk when parking a fine automobile. Feel free to add yours.

1. Consider the availability of safe parking before driving to any destination. I won’t take my NSX if it is not available. That includes the risk of theft, vandalism, and unacceptable choices of parking spaces.
2. Never park in a stall with cars on both sides. Move far enough away from the parking crowd to avoid this situation.
3. Avoid end to end parking to protect the front and rear fascia. Lots of people seem to “park by Braille”. Never park in a spot where someone can back into a space in front of you.
4. Look for end spaces on the parking grid and crowd the end when parking. End spaces to the right are preferred as the driver’s door of any car parking next to you is avoided (and statistically, most cars have a single occupant).
5. Never take up two spaces- when you drive an expensive car, it is asking for vandalism by the proletariat.
6. Never park in an area where shopping carts are used (no explanation needed).

I’ve had two car covers stolen when I put them on in a lot, so I’m not a fan of covering up a car. The purpose of all this rather anal behavior is to keep a car ding-free. I think it is worth the trouble.

Good advice, Sven.

By the way...

Originally posted by Sven:
(and statistically, most cars have a single occupant)

I don't know if that is necessarily true. However, you are correct that you're better off next to the passenger side. I am quite confident that more cars are driven with someone in the driver's seat than are driven with someone in the passenger seat.
wink.gif

ive seen some people that use foam tubing hung from string to protect the sides of there cars .They just adjust the height b4 they close the door and viola. the foam is light and stores easiy and provides good protection.

As for the front and rear i read somewhere that they saw someone pull out a round life preserver or something like that and its suspended in the rear in the same manor providing addition protection.

Feel free to add yours.

Okay:

- Never let a valet park your car. If valet is the only option, don't bring the NSX

- Find parking spaces with "extra" space to the sides (i.e. between columns, striped no-park zones)...even crossing the line is acceptable as long as you don't take up more than one space

- Park far from areas that attract a lot of foot traffic (i.e. far from the entrance, doorways, elevators, staircases)

- Don't park next to minivans or SUVs...not only do you have the kid-factor to worry about, you also have this big shield that thieves can do their business behind

- Don't park under a tree (i.e. bird droppings and sap)

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 20 November 2002).]

Originally posted by akira3d:
- Never let a valet park your car. If valet is the only option, don't bring the NSX

One exception: For restaurants with valet parking in their own parking lots, ask the valet if you can park your own car right in front of the restaurant. Make sure the valet knows you will make it worth his while, and do so when you pick your car up after dinner.

This, by the way, is fun to do.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
One exception: For restaurants with valet parking in their own parking lots, ask the valet if you can park your own car right in front of the restaurant. Make sure the valet knows you will make it worth his while, and do so when you pick your car up after dinner.

This, by the way, is fun to do.

This could go on a list of among the top 5 reasons to own the car. Make sure you throw em a twenty and insist on keeping you keys!

Originally posted by Bilulan:
This could go on a list of among the top 5 reasons to own the car.

Number 1 on that list, though, is still NSXPO - the track event, the group drives, the caravan to the event, the meals, the camaraderie, the people, etc. Those who have been, understand completely. Those who haven't, have no idea.
wink.gif

Eleven months and counting till we meet again, this time here:

vc7_t1_t2_lrg.jpg

generalfacility_map.jpg

"However, you are correct that you're better off next to the passenger side. I am quite confident that more cars are driven with someone in the driver's seat than are driven with someone in the passenger seat. "

Don't you think that maybe the driver(=owner in most cases) will pay more attention not also to scratch his door than the passenger(=not owner in most cases)? Only a speculation...

Originally posted by gheba_nsx:
Don't you think that maybe the driver(=owner in most cases) will pay more attention not also to scratch his door than the passenger(=not owner in most cases)? Only a speculation...

Not in my experience. Lots of people don't care about their cars; just look at all the beaters on the road. However, it might be a good idea to park next to the nicest vehicles on the lot (hopefully another NSX
biggrin.gif
). This increases the odds that the other driver will appreciate/respect your car.

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 21 November 2002).]

-I never let the valet move my car into the spot.I tell them I either leave it here(and compensate him) or I move the car into the valet area.
-if parking in a lot I pick the two "or 1" nicest cars to park next to.(they dont want to damage their cars either.
-I stay away from 4 door cars ,(usuaully mom w/ kids)children have a tendancy to fling doors open.
-if I neeed to take the car to a mall or shopping center I find the (resteraunt,sears service center,gas station w/ a service dept.,or similar that would benifit from my car being at the front door or near iton the outskirts of the mall and park there as well as contact the manager or similar & let them know the car is there,compensate them (they always are helpful)or accept nothing and say no problem "sir".Imagine that "sir"
smile.gif

These are a few of my daily driver rules.

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

Originally posted by MYNSX:
-I stay away from 4 door cars ,(usuaully mom w/ kids)children have a tendancy to fling doors open.

Funny - I prefer parking next to four-door cars, because the doors are narrower than on two-door cars.

Originally posted by NSXEE:
Ken why don’t you start a topic with this, so others can see it. (Sears Point)

Done.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 21 November 2002).]

Originally posted by akira3d:

That's kinda hard come special occasions and you want to take your girl to a fancy restaurant here in L.A. Being from around here, akira, I'm sure you know that. The nicest places around here ONLY have valet.

What if they say "no."
Then your stuck.
Even valet parkers around here will give you attitude. They don't give a * what you drive.

Originally posted by Joel:
What if they say "no."
Then your stuck.
Even valet parkers around here will give you attitude.

Precisely why I don't ask if I can park the car. I tell them nicely I would prefer to park it myself and ask them where I should do so. I walk back, tip them handsomely and keep the keys myself.

I cant believe it. Last night I went out with some friends. We started at the Fox and the Hound at around 5:30 or so and then I left at about 8:45 to get to Central Market before 9 for some general food and then planned on meeting up with the girls later on. I ended up meeting them at City Streets of all places (aka Shi**y Streets). I pulled up to the valet and parked my car there in front of the building; front door. The little pu$$y there said to park infront here it will cost you $20 bucks. I said, you got to be kidding me here in Fort Worth where there are boot scrapers infront of the best restruants to scrap off all the $hit off your shoes? Paid him anyway and walked off when he said, I need your keys to move it. I said, then that will cost you then 20 to drive! I can understand it if it were like friday (maybe) or another city but not here in FW.

------------------
8k RPM in a recliner!

That's kinda hard come special occasions and you want to take your girl to a fancy restaurant here in L.A. Being from around here, akira, I'm sure you know that. The nicest places around here ONLY have valet.

Fortunately I'm married and my wife is perfectly happy when we take the Lexus to the nicer places in town.

Of course, even the not-so-nice places in L.A. seem to have valet parking.

If I ever got stuck, I'll spend some time finding decent side-street parking or a nearby lot...my wife and I don't mind walking a little bit further to keep the NSX out of harms way
biggrin.gif

Oh, and a couple of additional parking tips:

- Don't park near sprinklers unless you know for certain that they won't go off while you're there

- If you know the person parked next to you (and especially if you know he/she will be departing after you), cross a little into that space to give you a little space on the other side

Just curious if anyone treats their NSX as just another car. I always fall into the trap of caring too much about the vehicle that I have and then make excuses about why I can't take it places because of what might happen. As a result, my NSX sits covered in my garage most of the time and I only put 1500 miles a year on it.

My friend recently purchased a new 2001 996 Turbo as his daily driver. He will put 20k miles a year on it and parks and valets it everywhere. His comment is 'I bought the car to drive it'. I envy this attitude and realize that you have to distance yourself from your possessions or they end up owning you. So I am working on it. Sounds like a lot of us here have the same problem.

Yes I have driven his Turbo and while it is faster than the NSX, it is not as exciting to drive. Hard to explain, but the NSX feels more like a sports car.

Also curious if anyone else is seeing their car insurance increased significantly in the last year due to no fault of thier own. State Farm just jacked my NSX insurance by 30% and justified it by saying that they have had significant claims that have hurt their bottom line. They also blamed 9/11. I asked if poor investment strategies and the stock market's tumble may be partly to blame, and my agent said 'yeah that too'. Bad economy, crummy job market, insurance companies taking more of my pie. I must have 'sucka' (or dummy) stamped on my forehead.

I also leave my NSX at home if I'm going somewhere that has a bad parking situation.

About 6 months ago at work, I parked my NSX far, far away from everyone. I took 2 spots only because there were more than enough spots for everyone else to park. I came back to my car and someone left a note on my winshield that said "If you f**k like you park, then you will never get anywhere in life". (I'm still trying to figure out what that means!). I don't know why someone went way out of their way to write that note. I'm glad to say I don't work their anymore.

well, horribly un-pc, i know. but i pretty much use my nsx without a lot of worry. ive gone to restaurants and movie theaters and left it in the parking lots. even grocery store. i do park way the hell away from everyone. but, gotta enjoy it and that means using it.

Jim where the hell do you find all your pictures.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Originally posted by dummy:
Just curious if anyone treats their NSX as just another car.

I believe Allan uses his as a grocery getter, pretty much as one would use an Accord for such purposes. Of course, his daily driver is a Diablo...

Originally posted by dummy:
Also curious if anyone else is seeing their car insurance increased significantly in the last year due to no fault of thier own.

You really ought to check into American Hobbyist.

[This message has been edited by PHOEN$X (edited 22 November 2002).]

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
I believe Allan uses his as a grocery getter, pretty much as one would use an Accord for such purposes. Of course, his daily driver is a Diablo...

Well he wont be able to use his nsx anymore since he is selling it.

[This message has been edited by NyC NsX (edited 22 November 2002).]

Back