• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Parking. Why is it....

I didn't know vertical doors swing open horizontally and can hit my body. No, I'm not talking about the Delorean type outward swinging vertical doors. I'm talking about out (to clear the door jamb) and up (vertical) type of vertical doors. If a Lambo or Ferrari's vertical door swings out far enough horizontally to hit my car.... then I DO mind a high end/exotic car parking NEXT to mine!!!!!:Some of us are directionally challenged and don't quite get what horizontal and vertical mean.: :biggrin: :wink: :eek: :rolleyes:.

Danny RED SR 71

dyee said:
I didn't know vertical doors swing open horizontally and can hit my body. No, I'm not talking about the Delorean type outward swinging vertical doors. I'm talking about out (to clear the door jamb) and up (vertical) type of vertical doors. If a Lambo or Ferrari's vertical door swings out far enough horizontally to hit my car.... then I DO mind a high end/exotic car parking NEXT to mine!!!!!:Some of us are directionally challenged and don't quite get what horizontal and vertical mean.: :biggrin: :wink: :eek: :rolleyes:.

Danny RED SR 71

oohhhhhhhh
I thought you ment you had verticle doors :tongue: lol
Ya, I wouldnt mind a Lambo parking close next to me either :biggrin:

I think it's human psychology. People tend to gather in one place. It happens in my civic too.

dyee said:

Danny RED SR 71
I just wanted to drop in a couple words regarding door styles (note that other descriptions may exist, but these will work in the meantime):

*Gull wing style (Delorean)
*Scissor style (Lambo)

:smile:

So is there a "comprehensive" list of parking lots rules to follow out there? A couple of things that I look for:

1. WIND. Which way is it blowing? Many dings come from people opening their doors and let them slam open in high winds. So aways park "nose into the wind" so that the doors will blow close vs. open. Also look upwind for "NSX seeking shopping carts" and other wind enabled moving objects.

2. SLOPE. This one is a no brainer. If you see any carts around pegged into edge of the lot, stay away, stay far away. I have personally neglect this rule once and saved my NSX from a runaway shopping cart just in time. Just dumb luck that I exited the store in time to see a shopping cart making a beeline towards the car. I didn’t have to do a flying tackle or anything, but it was close enough.

3. Curbing. As stated in the previous post, I like to park next to a curb or cement island or any other object that prevents people from parking next to you. Some people park so that the left side is open for parking with the logic that many people drive along and therefore there is less chance of a passenger dinging your car. On the flip side, is parking so that the right side is open. Granted you’ll always have someone opening a door towards your car, but at least it’ll probably be the more responsible person (driver) vs. a kid, elderly, etc.

4. Double Parking. Don't do it. Everyone will want to key your car, especially if you using 2 prime spots. All that does is perpetuates the arrogant/aloof stereotypes against us.

5. Trees. The shade is awful nice, but look up before you park. Are there any birds in the trees? Have the cars next to you been bombed/sapped out?

My 2 cents....

otto_joe said:
Maybe I'm weird or something, but when I'm not in the NSX, I'll park next to one to act as a door ding barrier/shopping cart barrier for someone else's NSX. :)
Otto

And I thought I was the only crazy one on the planet that does this.

I parked far away today when we went to lunch ... came out and saw two guys laying on the ground looking at the underside of the car!

This doesn't happen to me too often. I have noticed that sportscars will park directly in front of the NSX as if the two cars are meeting/talking.

PaulL said:
I think they were checking out the suspension.

Can honestly say I've never heard of anybody doing that.
I have had the TEIN reps check out my suspension(OEM) while at NOPI a couple of years ago. Was kinda hoping they would hook me up with a setup so I could advertise for them.:biggrin: Didn't happen though.:frown:

Do you think it would work if you furtively emptied a bag of broken bottle in the place next to you just where their tyre would go.
Naw, most people are to dumb to notice.
Just an errant thought.

What about one of those fake dog poops, put it where the other driver would step in it. Or fake barf.

710 said:
Do you think it would work if you furtively emptied a bag of broken bottle in the place next to you just where their tyre would go.
Naw, most people are to dumb to notice.
Just an errant thought.

What about one of those fake dog poops, put it where the other driver would step in it. Or fake barf.

Fake bomb. Why skimp? :biggrin:

I usually park really really far. In fact, sometimes I park so far, that I end up back in my garage, and walk to the store! :D :D :D

- Z

Back