• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Parts and Service in Melbourne

Hi Guys,

It has been a while since I started the NSX, so I got it out and decided to do the job properly before Summer hits..... waterpump, timing belt, plugs, LMA ,all new hoses, interior retrim.....time for a rejuvenation!

I ring SOS in Tempe Az,..... no problems, they will send me various parts that I couldn't usually source here (Nav Pod, trim pieces), but ring the local (and only) NSX agent and all I get is grief!!!!

OK, my car is a private import and the Vin is different, but a waterpump is a waterpump! and all the hoses are the same on NA1...... so much for

..........."At Robert Lane Honda our motto is “Expect the Best” "

Anyone else feel my pain?

Yes, I had to wait 2 months for a Fuel gauge.

I don't think they keep any parts in stock except for basic service items Oil filter ect.
Some of the dealers aren't even allowed to work on them!

I'm not sure what they are like, if for that matter they have any idea what they are doing, but I had a chat with Hondaworld in Clayton 9548 7055 some time back and they told me that they can both get parts for NSX's and work on them. I'm not entirely convinced that I would take my car there as the workshop isn't exactly your typical pristine Honda workshop, but for what it's worth, they might be worth a call. I think they bring container loads of second hand parts in from Japan and suggested that they could get whatever was required for the NSX.

I am not aware of anybody else who does them other that John Blair and Robert Lane. Sorry I can't help any further.

All the best,

David

Thanks Guys,

Robert Lane is the only "accredited" NSX dealer in Victoria and supposedly has a trained NSX mechanic!.....

I have been able to get some parts through other Honda dealers, but it's just the lack of basic communication and application within the dealership that gets to me......you'd think that when you ring a "reputable " dealer to spend a fair chunk of $$$ that you would at least get a phone call back with some info.

Still, I find that the NSX community in Oz is pretty good at helping out, so thanks to all!!

I get my Melbourne based Jazz serviced at Essendon Honda. Seem very good and reasonable (for an authorised dealer) at that. NSX? probably don't know anything about them, but worth a try. Hanney & Indy in Sydney; both good third party NSX service.

Hi Mike, when I've needed parts from Robert Lane they've used the VIN from another customer's Australian car to look them up. Maybe you could suggest this to them?

Robert Lane have done timing belt, gearbox rebuild (snap ring failure), clutch replacement and regular servicing stuff on my car. They see more NSXs than anywhere else in Melbourne and Tony is the man to speak to about NSX-specific things.

In my experience they have no problem working on a personal import or with aftermarket parts, you just need to meet them half way and accept that they can't warranty third party parts. They know how to look after customers and last time I was having a bunch of stuff done they replaced the main coolant hoses without charge. Plus they're a real dealer so they don't muck you around with dates, they just book it in, give you a loan car, and call you shortly.

Sure some parts aren't stocked locally but the car is 20 years old and Honda sold very few in Australia... I think we should be grateful of being able to obtain parts at all.

NSX007 thought mentioning he's an NSX owner might ingratiate himself with Essendon Honda. Except they'd never heard of the NSX.

Good luck with the spring makeover mate! Have to meet up again when your shiny new bits are installed.

Thanks Mike for the thread and thanks John for your very helpfull post!

My '98 is coming up for it's 10,000km service and I was wondering where to take it as I'm new to Melbourne and wanted a factory service and stamp in the log book. Now I know!

Hi John

I have dealt with Robert Lane for the past 8 years and actually run a business account with them.

They have generally been helpful but in recent years the service has dropped right off .......to the extent that 2 years ago I put my car in for a major service and specifically asked that valve clearances be checked and adjusted.

Invoice says this has been done, they charged for it...... but how do you do this without removing the rocker covers?!

Ring Service Manager,he checks with mechanic who states it was done.....bulltish!

Service Manager says "bring it in"....pigs.....you can come and get it !

Service Manager does actually come next day and admits that it has NOT been done and takes the car .

Now you may understand why I feel that their standards have slipped and while I appreciate my car is an Import, I still buy parts and feel that as a customer willing to spend $$, they should provide feedback and communication to their clients.

I did fire off an email to the General Manager expressing my displeasure and received a courteous reply to the effect of "I will speak with Parts".... this is appreciated.

I am in the transport industry and generally have a feel for parts....."computers are down" just doesn't cut it!....that's crap! Take details, write them down and get back to your customer....that's SERVICE.

Sorry for the rant (I'm a Saints supporter and a DRAW is crap!) but sometimes "I get as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!!"

Last edited:
Hey Mike,

Wow that's really not good... forgetting to do it is one thing... but falsely claiming to have personally done it regardless is just crap.

But at your age you shouldn't be letting yourself get worked up about ancient history! Be cool like Mr Wolf and remember it's just an old Honda and yours is only a detuned auto so it will probably run forever with just an odd oil change :biggrin:

Seriously if you do find somewhere that you're happy with please let us all know!

For what it's worth...

The guy knows his NSXs but Paul McCreedy / Team Classic Lotus in Johnston St Abbotsford totally lost my confidence about 3 years ago. http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90587

Brian at Nordic Honda in Adelaide has been very helpful to me in the past in sourcing HONDA PARTS - even JDM-only - and at a good price. They are happy to post parts interstate.

Have you considered asking Mercedes to do it? I'm aware that even Ferrari in the past have not been beyond working on the lowly NSX for their customers.

Or how about your own company's mechanics?

Or how about really doing it in style and instead of getting SOS to send you parts, send your car to SOS and have them turbo it?

Last edited:
Thanks John,

Nice to see the respect for one's Elders (and better) is still alive in today's shallow and callow youth!

You did, however, forget to mention a few other inadequacies........... Brewer's Droop and Haemorroids!!!! I'll roll over in bed and mention them to the new girlfields, the Uberduber twins ( I'm very tall and handsome when I stand on my wallet)

And that other fun machine I ride......

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 44
  • twins.jpg
    twins.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
That's very funny Mike but you put me off my breakfast! Had to ask what Brewer's Droop is, imagine that.

How much faster is the mobility scooter than your old detuned auto NSX? :biggrin:

Please let us know if you find a workshop you're happy with for the work on your NSX. A reliable independent with NSX experience would be great for the aftermarket stuff.

Back