• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

People with active in-dash DVD might want to read this

This might be of interest to people who have DVD players set up to work in view of the driver while the car is moving.

From http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/07/27/dvd.traffic.death.ap/index.html

---

Trial examines role of dashboard electronics

Alaska DVD-murder case may be first of its kind

Tuesday, July 27, 2004 Posted: 12:00 PM EDT (1600 GMT)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- When a pickup truck crossed the double yellow line along Seward Highway and killed two occupants of a Jeep Grand Cherokee, police initially thought the accident was another tragic mistake by a momentarily distracted driver.

Then they spotted the dashboard DVD player.

In what may be the first trial of its kind in the nation, prosecutors have accused the pickup truck's driver of second-degree murder for watching a movie instead of the road when he crashed head-on into the Jeep.

The pickup's driver, Erwin J. Petterson Jr., denies using the DVD player as he drove north on October 12, 2002 and contends he was only listening to music from a compact disc, said his attorney, Chuck Robinson.

"It's an excessive charge for what happened here," he said. "This was not a murder. Even the state medical examiner said during cross-examination that the manner of death for the people in the other car was accidental."

Petterson, 29, is accused of killing Robert Weiser, 60, and his wife Donna Weiser, 56, of Anchorage, while on a three-hour drive between Kenai and Anchorage. In his truck was the equivalent of a home entertainment system -- a DVD player, speakers and a Sony PlayStation 2.

While no Alaska law prohibits operating a DVD player in view of a driver, prosecutor June Stein said the facts warranted charging Petterson under one of two theories: that he knew his conduct was substantially certain to cause death, or that he knowingly engaged in conduct showing extreme indifference to human life.

Initial Alaska State Trooper reports said Petterson was at fault when he took his eyes off the road to reach for a soda. Stein, though, will try to prove that the DVD player was on, apparently playing the movie "Road Trip."

"We know it was," she said. "It was wired so that the screen was in the open position when the ignition key was turned out."

The murder trial, which got under way last week in Kenai Superior Court, may be the first of its kind in the nation, said Matthew Swantson, director of communications for the Consumer Electronics Association, a trade association.

Installed as recommended, DVD players and TV screens are either visible only from the back seats or will not work unless the vehicle is in park. But owners can defeat the safety measures by installing the devices themselves, as Petterson did, according to prosecutors.

Robinson said he expects prosecutors to have trouble winning a second-degree murder conviction. "I think the prosecution is going to have a tough time proving the mental state of Mr. Petterson," he said. "It's a tragic accident that happens all the time on our highways."

Liz Neblett, spokeswoman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said more than 25 percent of police-reported crashes are distraction related, which covers everything from cell phone use to changing channels on a radio, screaming at kids, eating, applying makeup or reading a newspaper.

Vehicles can be equipped with fax machines, cell phones and two-way radios. But none should be used if they interrupt the concentration of drivers, she said. "It's a no-brainer. If it's distracting, don't do it," Neblett said.

After the crash, Petterson and his passenger, roommate Jonathan Douglas, were transported to an Anchorage hospital. Within hours, Douglas called his ex-wife and told her he was not sure how the collision occurred because he was "spacing out on a movie they were watching," according to prosecutors. The woman is scheduled to testify.

David Weiser, 34, the son of the slain couple, said only two people know what happened in the cab of the truck. But equipping a truck with entertainment options that can be used while driving goes beyond a momentary distraction of putting on makeup or using a cell phone, he said.

"This takes forethought, this takes methodical steps," David Weiser said. "You have to go to the store, plop over money, install it, and install it so it can be used without a brake employed.

"I view it as no different than walking into a bar, having five beers within an hour and getting behind the wheel," said Weiser, who quit an eight-year career as a loan originator in Boston to attend the trial.

Driving laws have not kept up with technological changes, Weiser said. He plans to work toward changing that after Petterson's trial is over.

"I would like for the jury to sit and hear the evidence, and if the evidence shows what I believe to be true, that his conviction reflect that," he said.

Everyday here in NyC I see people driving around with not only one but at least five screens goin in there cars because they think its cool. Some are huge with the latest trend being getting a huge 17" plus screen installed in the rear seating area. These things not only distract people in the car but drivers on the road itself. I still remember the one time when i almost crashed while checking one of these things out. They should be banned while the car is in operation like cell phone use.

I saw one of most ridiculous cars in La Puente a couple months ago. It was a Cadillac CTS. He had an in dash monitor, 2 visor monitors, a huge 15-19" monitor hanging from the domelight area, 2 more monitors on the driver and passenger headrest, then the real kicker was the 2 monitors mounted on the headrest of the rear passengers that no one but the cars behind them can see. He was playing a rap video.

But agreed, an in-dash movie playing while someone watches and drives is very dangerous. I have mine wired to work this way so that my passenger can stay entertained.

I actually posted this so you guys know that you might run into trouble after an accident. Sounds like this guy really was watching a DVD, but imagine you're in an accident and some crash investigator notices that your DVD player works when you're in motion. Maybe he works for the other driver's family, the state, or your insurance company. It can't go well for you, regardless.

Yeah but if they can't prove the DVD player was on, they shouldn't even charge you with a crime. In this case the roommate told his ex-wife the DVD player was on I do think a 2nd degree murder charge is excessive. The man made a mistake, and has the burden of two dead people on his shoulders. Ruining his life by sending him away to jail for several years doesn't seem very logical. It's not like he is a evil person.

What if you have a DVD player that can work while driving but you don't have a DVD in the player?

Illeagal in Australia to have a dvd player work while in motion. Stereo shops will refuse to do this for the above reasons.

Malibu Rapper said:
But agreed, an in-dash movie playing while someone watches and drives is very dangerous. I have mine wired to work this way so that my passenger can stay entertained.
Saw a number of these setups in cars driving around Tokyo awhile back. Several folks were even channel-surfing while driving in high-speed traffic. :rolleyes:

Mine will work when the car is in motion but I have never driven with a DVD playing - I would not even have one in the tray in case for fear of if got pulled over for whatever other reason & then was asked to turn it on.
I wouldn't have it on for my passengers entertainment either, personally, because how you can not look at it on occasion?
I'm even a little nervous about driving with the rear-view camera on, although that's no different from looking in the rear-view mirror.

I don't see a problem with what ever someone wants in their car 20in tv's, whatever. i think each person should think about the consequences, when dealing with these systems. Be responsible in everything you do. i like all that tv stuff, but wouldn't drive with it on. Banning everything is gettin to common place. just have to inject very serious penalties for messing up. Kinda like stealing, if people found guilty lost a hand no one would steal. If the penalty for causing an accident while watching in dash dvd's was 10 years in prison, no excuses, then most folks would'nt watch and drive. But i just think people need to be more responsible with their actions, and respect the consequences. my 2 cents:rolleyes: this guy should have made a better choice not to watch tv and drive, or be on your p's and q's.

[But agreed, an in-dash movie playing while someone watches and drives is very dangerous. I have mine wired to work this way so that my passenger can stay entertained.[/QUOTE]

yo Rapper: that still gives the investigator the point to argue since who is to say you can't "peek" at the screen too..hahah

This is an interesting post that definitely worth some though. I have a pretty extensive dolby digital setup in my M3 as well and I never thought about the stuff in this article. It certainly can't be good for the owners....

My system is setup for my g/f as well but since I have both a 6-disk CD changer and 6-disk DVD changer, I can chose the program at will from my remote....hmmmm

But yeah I agree common sense is prudent and having TV's on back headrests just for show is pretty :rolleyes:

Rick

Malibu Rapper said:
I saw one of most ridiculous cars in La Puente a couple months ago. It was a Cadillac CTS. He had an in dash monitor, 2 visor monitors, a huge 15-19" monitor hanging from the domelight area, 2 more monitors on the driver and passenger headrest, then the real kicker was the 2 monitors mounted on the headrest of the rear passengers that no one but the cars behind them can see. He was playing a rap video.

I recently saw a Ranger pick up truck reg cab with monitors in the head rest also.....think about it, there wasn't a topper on it. :rolleyes:

update:
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/1-08102004-345904.html

Man Acquitted of Murder in DVD Case

KENAI, Alaska - A man was acquitted Tuesday of charges he caused a fatal crash by taking his eyes off the road while watching a movie on a DVD player mounted on his truck dashboard.

Jurors acquitted Erwin Petterson Jr., 29, of two counts of second-degree murder and two counts of manslaughter. No law in Alaska prohibits operating a DVD player in view of a driver.

Petterson had been charged in the deaths of Robert Weiser, 60, and Donna Weiser, 56, when his truck collided with their vehicle on a highway in southern Alaska on Oct. 12, 2002.

"I think this case was really important because it brought out the issue for public discussion," said the prosecutor, June Stein, after the acquittal. "It's probably an issue the Legislature should address."

Neither Petterson nor his lawyer could immediately be reached for comment after the acquittal. Lindsey Petterson said her brother was taking a long drive in his truck.

"He hasn't been able to drive in over two years," she said. "He just wanted to be alone for a while. He's very happy he can get on with his life again."

Stein argued that Petterson and his passenger Jonathan Douglas were watching a DVD movie when Petterson's pickup truck crossed the center line, hitting the Weisers' sport utility vehicle head-on.

Petterson testified he was not watching a movie and that his truck strayed into oncoming traffic when he reached for a soda.

The Weisers died at the scene.

Marty Zoda, Douglas' former wife, testified that her ex-husband told her the DVD was running when the accident happened, a claim Douglas denied.

If installed as recommended, DVD players will not work in an automobile unless the emergency brake is on or the vehicle is in park.

Prosecutors said Petterson overrode those safety measures when he installed an entertainment system including a DVD player, speakers and a Sony PlayStation 2 in his pickup truck.

David Weiser, a son of the dead couple, said the family was not surprised by the verdict because skid marks at the scene and Petterson's driving record were not allowed as evidence.

"I'm very disappointed in how the justice system has to prove a case against someone who took two lives," said David Weiser.

August 10, 2004 5:38 PM

ChrisK said:
It sucks if this guy was really watching a movie while driving, but I'm suprised at the comment above. Isn't that how it supposed to work? Shouldn't we always have to proove someone is guilty rather than just throw them in jail because we think they are guilty?

Yes, but such logic and reason are difficult for those whose involvement in the case is emotional. That is perfectly normal, which is not to say I advocate letting such emotions overcome logic and reason, but that I understand how they do.

I wonder how long it will be before someone has a HUD able to watch DVD's on. Can't be too far away.

NetViper said:
I wonder how long it will be before someone has a HUD able to watch DVD's on. Can't be too far away.

I would guess it already exists in some form or another. Hell, it has probably been available in Japan for five years. :D They do love their technology over there.

Actually, a HUD would be a very good way to do it, since you can easily limit the viewing angle. The passenger sees the movie, you see only the road. The downside is that the passenger can see the road mixed in with the DVD during the day.

Obviously, you could limit the viewing angle in the dash, too, but nobody wants a big divider/blinder sticking out of the driver's side of the monitor.

Aside from navigation DVD's, why would anyone want a DVD player for the driver? Are you supposed to sit in a parking lot watching a movie? Reminds me of the obsurd F&F 1 movie where the kid was playing video games in his car before the race. I guess not one second of time can tick by without being entertained by some sort of gadget?!? :confused:

I recall reading that people said the same thing about mobile phones. Waiting for my ex to get something from the shop i would happily wait in the car and watch tv/ picking her up from work many times i've had to sit and wait for an hour. During my hour lunch break i would sit in my car and watch tv as opposed to outside in the rain. At car shows my friends and i would play games just like that 'stupid kid' (His name is RJ, well known in the import scene)all day to amuse ourselves. The movie was trying to highlight different sections of import scene as much as it could. People going to shows see this stuff so its represented in the movies (albeit in a silly way) :)

And if you have a touch screen navigation system, like most cars in Japan now then why not have the option. :D

If I were David Weiser I would locate and hire an excellent civil attorney and file the biggest wrongful death suit against the jerk in the truck. Much lover burden of proff in a civil case - preponderance of the evidence (51% civil) instead of proof beyone a resonable doubt (criminal).

These idiots that have multiple screens in their cars that they play while they are driving are creating attractive nuisances that will cause accidents. I see nothing wrong with a navigation system or rear mounted camera, when used correctly. But watching a movie while driving - sue them to get every penny they have and will ever have when they kill someone because they were "zoning out on a movie" while driving.

These jerks with all the screens in their cars that are being opperated while they drive, I wish someone made a laser zapper that could disable their monitors for like 60 minutes at a time. I have followed some of these fools with their video screens facing rearward and they are extremely distracting to the other motorists on the road.

It out to be like a $1,000 fine for having one of those that operates while the car is not in park or the brake set. Or, the auto manufacturers should make it mandatory that when they install that junk that they also install a privacy curtain or shade to block it from all other drivers' view.

One of my buttons.......yah think?

Back