• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Perspective on the GTR from an NSX owner

Re: GTR Launch Control reactions ;-)

What is even funnier is that the number one car in transmission changes (proportionally to the number of cars produced and miles driven) in the entire history of sports cars, is probably the NSX.
Remember a littlle thing called "snap ring"?

And by the way, the very main reason 09 and 2010 GTRs had a lot of transmission changes is that Nissan categorically refused to let their dealers do any repair work on transmissions. The vast majority of GTR transmission
problems were caused by a defective $125 clutch actuator seal. Dealers were not allowed to change it. Of course, one other reason was the huge HP increases that many owners had thanks to relatively cheap engine modifications and the typical GTR owner love affair with "launching".

CODE][/CODE]
My buddy has a 2009 GT-R. I was leafing through the owners Guide / Maintenance Guide and in the maintenance log, there is a page for transmission replacement. (Transmission Assembly Replacement Record) This is where you record the old and new transmission serial number, mileage and date of replacement.
The funny thing is there is room for 7 entries. That would be 7 replacements, 8 in total. I doubt if any other car has this expectation.

Last edited:
I have never really been a Nissan fan but I have driven a GTR and I have all kinds of respect for that car. I crap load of fun. My NSX still gives me goose bumps when I look and drive it so it goes no where, but if I had another bay in the garage the GTR would get a extended stay. It is not much to look at, you would hope that it would be refined to look like a super car more so. A big part of my love of carts is looking at the lines and seeing it at speed standing still. The GTR reminds me of a brick and is not a looker, but neither is my neighbors Pug but he too has grown on me.

not sure if this helps...i am on a list for the new nsx. i guess i am after jerry...not sure how much credit i give it since no money has changed hands...but my wife asked me what i would do the other day if i won the power ball...i just blurted out without hesitation buy a gtr...i did win the power ball! only 12 dollars of which i have to split with my buddy so i was only able to super size my lunch...

NY owner

I purchased the car from an Acura dealer in Washington. While in the process I found Steve's postings about selling the car and then contacted him. I had done my research to know that it was one of 24 2002-2005 GPWs and as Steve said, one of 7 05s. Oddly enough during the same time there was another 2005 GPW w/ black interior listed on AutoTrader with somewhere around 45k on it. It was for sale in NYC.... It showed some chips in the pics and the interior not as clean.
Not that I needed that one as a comparison, but if I wanted a 02+ GPW, Steve's former car was the undeniable choice when the norm for GPWs is that there is no choice at all.
Steve was gracious to actually call and talk with me about his ownership after PMing him here on Prime before I purchased it. Learning that it not only was a low mileage 2005 GPW but from a meticulous owner basically drew my decision process to a close.
It went to NSXPO in 2011 and now has a little over 11k on it.
- Jeff

Car went to NY State.....

In 2005 there were 7 GPW & 2 with white/black interior (as Honda called it). I heard that maybe 2 or 3 bit the dust since & are no longer. I purchased the car new at St. Louis Acura in 2005. Flew out & drove it home to Seattle -#150 out of 250 total for 2005. Had just over 10K miles total in the 5 years I owned it (2500 of those miles was the drive from St. Louis - Seattle). Great looking car!

Attachments

• IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 630
I purchased the car from an Acura dealer in Washington. While in the process I found Steve's postings about selling the car and then contacted him. I had done my research to know that it was one of 24 2002-2005 GPWs and as Steve said, one of 7 05s. Oddly enough during the same time there was another 2005 GPW w/ black interior listed on AutoTrader with somewhere around 45k on it. It was for sale in NYC.... It showed some chips in the pics and the interior not as clean.
Not that I needed that one as a comparison, but if I wanted a 02+ GPW, Steve's former car was the undeniable choice when the norm for GPWs is that there is no choice at all.
Steve was gracious to actually call and talk with me about his ownership after PMing him here on Prime before I purchased it. Learning that it not only was a low mileage 2005 GPW but from a meticulous owner basically drew my decision process to a close.
- Jeff

Just knowing the quality of an enthusiast like Jeff....the 2005 GPW could not have found a better home!

- Jeff

Is Formula H the shop that restores / services the old S600 and S800s ?

Thank you Steve and really, thank you again for taking such good care of an almost one of a kind which was to become my car....
Jeff

Just knowing the quality of an enthusiast like Jeff....the 2005 GPW could not have found a better home!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Steve and really, thank you again for taking such good care of an almost one of a kind which was to become my car....
Jeff

wow another GTR thread! :)

Hothonda: Your M3 looks nice, talk about a color that attracts attention! My local dealer has one but at an MSRP of nearly $80k+ ouch that is expensive considering the new M5 can be had for around $97k well optioned!

Few cars have the look of a modded NSX and I think this is why most of us love the car dearly. Even my wife who is totally not a car person told me to keep the NSX and sell whatever else I had first since she knows I'm actively shopping for a GTR right now.

After 6 months of being covered up I drove the NSX recently and immediately fell in love with it again!

A117BED7-0A9B-4235-920B-9E938B9C1152-7875-00000777742A2C6E_zps2672f6e4.jpg

Hothonda: Your M3 looks nice, talk about a color that attracts attention! My local dealer has one but at an MSRP of nearly $80k+ ouch that is expensive considering the new M5 can be had for around $97k well optioned!

Few cars have the look of a modded NSX and I think this is why most of us love the car dearly. Even my wife who is totally not a car person told me to keep the NSX and sell whatever else I had first since she knows I'm actively shopping for a GTR right now.

After 6 months of being covered up I drove the NSX recently and immediately fell in love with it again!

OMG! Literally just stared at that beauty for 5 mins at work.

A117BED7-0A9B-4235-920B-9E938B9C1152-7875-00000777742A2C6E_zps2672f6e4.jpg

GOOD GREIF s4play -
You have one of the most Beautiful NSX's I have ever seen. STUNNING!

- - - Updated - - -

What's the word on the NSX compared to Supra TT?

I can speak from experience -
My #1 all time Car regret, selling my mint '94 Supra Hardtop, 6spd TT. :(
Sold in 2000 because my Wife and I were buying our first Home and at the time, it was either a new Home or....
keep the Supra. Even today I still miss that car :(
However, a Home is, (obviously), MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than a car.

In-terms of NSX v Supra:
I hate to sound very redundant but - as I have stated many times on Prime, the NSX is the best car ever made. Peroid.
The Supra was a heck of a lot of Fun during the time I owned / drove it. Very comparable to the NSX in-terms of the
"fun-to-drive" factor however, it's no NSX and doesn't even pretend to be.
I would never take a Supra over an NSX however, if I could find a mint, unmolested Supra, I would certainly consider it in-addition-to the NSX.

my .02

Last edited:
is the M3 really any kind of replacement for an NSX? its a tarted up 3-series. its nice, don't get me wrong, but its ultimately just another 3-series. at least the ugly GTR is unique and not just a hopped up version of a common car. last time i was at BMW, a tech drooled over my NSX and snapped a bunch of photos.

Steve, you will probably never find such an NSX again, but life is short and it is good to experience new things.

I disagree, the M3 is a great all purpose car unlike the NSX or GTR which have limited space/limited use as a daily driver.

For some who need the back seat to carry kids or trunk space, I think the e90/e92 m3 really fits the bill. As a DD maybe an Orange color is a bit crazy but I'm thinking over in Seattle, it's always cloudy/rainy so the Orange color might stand out more...haha j/k

Anyways. Supra, NSX, GTR, RX, or whatever else you want to throw into the mix are all great cars, I love them all but none of them are DD.

- - - Updated - - -

GOOD GREIF s4play -
You have one of the most Beautiful NSX's I have ever seen. STUNNING!

- - - Updated - - -

I can speak from experience -
My #1 all time Car regret, selling my mint '94 Supra Hardtop, 6spd TT. :(
Sold in 2000 because my Wife and I were buying our first Home and at the time, it was either a new Home or....
keep the Supra. Even today I still miss that car :(
However, a Home is, (obviously), MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than a car.

In-terms of NSX v Supra:
I hate to sound very redundant but - as I have stated many times on Prime, the NSX is the best car ever made. Peroid.
The Supra was a heck of a lot of Fun during the time I owned / drove it. Very comparable to the NSX in-terms of the
"fun-to-drive" factor however, it's no NSX and doesn't even pretend to be.
I would never take a Supra over an NSX however, if I could find a mint, unmolested Supra, I would certainly consider it in-addition-to the NSX.

my .02

thanks for the kind words! The amazing part is my NSX is pretty much all stock except for the coilovers and BBS LM's. No exterior cosmetics except for the wing. This gives great testament to Acura engineers for designing a beautiful exterior!

Ever since my HS days I loved the Supra since those cars come out right around my graduation. Of course back then $40G was a lot of money and no way a HS student could afford it so I settled for an Eclipse Turbo :) I think cars like the Supra, NSX, GTR, RX7, etc are all niche cars. None of them can be a daily driver in a practical sense.

This is where cars like the M3, S4 and IS-F come into play as an awesome mix for speed and daily use. Driving an bright orange car might be a bit flashy but maybe in Seattle with all the rain it helps stand out more! j/k

Anyways I loved my M3/NSX combo since it was a good mix of cars for daily driving and also a weekend fun car.

BothCars.jpg

I still think E46 > E92 M. Looks better, less bloated. Toyed around with the idea to consolidate the M3 and S4 into a GT-R as a daily but doesn't sounds like it is a DD. Also, I think I would miss rowing through the gears and the aesthetic factor is lacking for the price point. But can't say it's not tempting to get behind the beast.

Last edited:
I still think E46 > E92 M. Looks better, less bloated. Toyed around with the idea to consolidate the M3 and S4 into a GT-R as a daily but doesn't sounds like it is a DD. Also, I think I would miss rowing through the gears and the aesthetic factor is lacking for the price point. But can't say it's not tempting to get behind the beast.
I'd even go one generation before that. The lighter weight is a great boost. The simplicity in the styling is sophisticated yet striking. Especially in convertible form, this would be the Beamer at the top of my list. :cool:
IMAG0503.jpg

Of course, finding a rather-old M3 that is unmolested is like finding a 240SX that is the same way. Good luck :(

Last edited:
Ok, so I have to chime in on this one, as I am a former M3 owner, who was thinking about a GTR, and ended up with my 1 true dream, and NSX.

My M3 was a 2003 Vert, modified to the gills. I supercharged it, made over 500rwhp at 9psi, had KWV2 suspension, brembos, handmade italian headers and exhaust with remote bypass valve, etc, etc. Had it in a couple of shows, it won each time for its division. In fact, the last show it was in was where I saw the NSX I bought. I had literally just finished the M3's last modification just for this show, so I pretty much had less than a week to enjoy my completed project (spent way more money than I should have, and added over 10K in shipping parts to Hawaii) and I saw my NSX.
So I immediately bought the NSX, stripped the M3 back to almost stock, sold the parts and the car, and never looked back, nor regretted it.

The E46 M3 is a great car, and once modded, can be a stupid fast car. Mine was supercharged, and the only car that took me in a Highway run was a GTR.
I beat every turbo Porsche, 2 ferraris, turbo'ed evo, turbo'ed VW, etc etc. Just the GTR Beat me. Yes, there are a ton of cars that could have, but I didn't run into them.

So I drove that very GTR. It was sick fast. I've driven alot of cars, but damn, that was a new experience. Hell, the 2013 is a 10 second car stock, 0-60 in 2.72 seconds according to Top Speed Magazine. And yes, it handles like a track car. As big as it was, I felt as confident curving that GTR as I did driving a real Porsche GT3.
No matter how big it is, and the fact it's just "ok" looking, the GTR is an amazing car, and in my opinion, changed the Sports Car world as much as the NSX did. Once again, the Japanese have made the rest of the worlds scramble to keep up with a car that costs half of anything that can even barely try to keep up with it. (Name 3 cars, stock, that can stay with a stock 2013 GTR 0-60 or in 1/4 mile that cost less than half a million bucks.)

But, when it's all said and done. I'll take my NSX. It's my Daily Driver, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Low slung, head turning, feel every bump in the road, intoxicating sounding, track car feeling, great handling, reliable, exotic looking (I've seen 2 people actually drop their phones with their jaws as I drive by), rare, lightweight, everything was put in EXACTLY the perfect spot (shifter, the console controls, etc), perfectly balanced, legendary, and on and on.

If I ever retire my NSX from my daily, then I would be hard to choose from the GTR or a 2007-2012 M3 (that high revving V8 is already a legend of an engine, if you haven't driven one in person, then you'll never know, it's like the NSX's engine's bigger brother in alot of ways) as it's replacement. But, that's years down the road. For now, every single day I get into my car, start it up and drive anywhere, I have a gigantic smile on my face.

For me, it's like this.... I never, not once, have pulled up at a stop light next to any other car (GTR, Ferrari, etc) while in my NSX and thought to myself "Damn, I wish I had that car." I did, however, think that every time I pulled up next to an NSX before I was lucky enough to get one.

- - - Updated - - -

Thought I'd add a few photos for comparison...

View attachment 96346
View attachment 96347

bonhamsurf: I enjoyed reading your post and you have a nice line-up of cars!

I loved my e46 m3 as well though mine was never boosted like yours, it served as my ONLY car for quite a few years. It has a really roomy back seat and decent trunk. I remember all my trips to Home Depot carrying wood home back then. I also picked up 3 people at the airport once with all the luggage!

My only comment is that besides the e92 M3's V8, another high revving V8 gem is the motor in my IS-F. That motor is bulletproof in terms of driving it hard and with the Lexus 8-speed tranny, it had great gas mileage too. I'm toying with the idea of just adding a E90 M3 sedan but wifey said we have too many cars so no go :(

Back