• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Photo speed ticket

Well it finally happened. I got a photo speeding ticket driving thru Phoenix from Tucson to California. Got me at 77 in a 65. Does anyone have any recommendation if I should fight it or just pay it. I could not find out how much the ticket is and if it will show up on my California driving record. Can I do California traffic school for this? Thanks for any help.
Tom

Ignore it. People here ignore those by the thousands--it's become a problem for the state because the photo ticket program isn't making the money it was predicted to. Ignore the ticket, and don't answer your door for 90 days and they'll throw it out.

Do absolutely nothing. The first sentence of the citation has a box to check if you want to pay the fine which says " I waive the right to be served " for this offense or something to that effect. You, of course, don't want to waive your right to be served in person. The municipalities and the state here are in as bad shape financially as your state. They can't afford to serve people who live in Arizona much less somebody who lives in California. As long as you don't go online to look at the video and additional photos or enroll in a Arizona Defensive Driving School there is no proof that you ever received the citation at all. After 90 days it just goes away. Photo radar is a disgusting concept - Fight the Power - Do Nothing!!!

Please ignore it. You have not been properly served.

Throw it in the trash, they will not serve you out of state.

You have acknowleged getting the ticket by doing so.
Go to this site and read through it. It will tell you everything you need to know and how to check the court sites to see if the ticket is pending.

http://www.meetup.com/camerafraud/

Thanks for the replies. I did find this site http://photoradarlaw.com/faq-home.htm that pretty much said to ignore it also. Before I found this site I did look up my violation on the website listed on my citation. Does this mean I've been served? Did I blow it? TIA.
Tom

I'm glad I found this thread and your replies, Arizona guys. I'm driving from So Cal to Pittsburgh, leaving this Sunday, and was going to ask about these tickets. I'll be taking I-40 all the way across. If I get one I ignore it. Good info.

Looks like there aren't any cameras on I-40. Good.

Last edited:
Rules are changing. Some judges in AZ are allowing "alternate service", mostly for AZ residents, where if the process server leaves a notice at your place of record 3 times, it's considered sufficient, and you are considered to be served.

Some folks who have continued to ignore the ticket find their license suspended the next time they get pulled over, or try to renew their license.

I'm glad I found this thread and your replies, Arizona guys. I'm driving from So Cal to Pittsburgh, leaving this Sunday, and was going to ask about these tickets. I'll be taking I-40 all the way across. If I get one I ignore it. Good info.

Looks like there aren't any cameras on I-40. Good.
There are mobile photo radar vans all over the state right now, so be aware / careful. You're allowed up to 10 miles over the speed limit. So go 5 miles over at most to leave a safety margin.

There are mobile photo radar vans all over the state right now, so be aware / careful. You're allowed up to 10 miles over the speed limit. So go 5 miles over at most to leave a safety margin.

^Oh, thank you for the info. BTW, is this Ka band radar? I use a Valentine1 radar detector.

i personally know 2 people that got served in phoenix after ignoring the mail- the fine was 3x the original amount.
i am willing to bet that after the cameras are deactivated, the state will start working their way through the backlog of ignored citations.

The good news is that will probably never happen, check our ARS 28-1592 and 28-1593. If you have not been served within 120 days of the violation, the ticket is Buh-Bye unless you have been involved in a car accident.

This is why 70% of the people that receive these silly little tickets never pay them.

I drove I-40 all the way across Arizona yesterday and saw 2 or 3 of these trucks with the cameras on the side of the road. I think it was two on the eastbound side and one on the westbound side. The good thing to me about Arizona is that the speed limit is already 75 mph, so I'm content setting the cruise control for 81. I don't think that will be worth a ticket. Oh, and it's K band radar. It was setting off my Valentine1 radar detector so I'd slow down anyway, before I got there.

Yes, it is Ka band but don't let this fool you!

I live in Phoenix and the radar vans park at a very sharp angles and use very low power to transmit. This almost eliminates any chance of your V1 of warning you in time.

Also remember, throughout I-10 in/near Phoenix, they use some type of speed detector in the asphalt to measure your speed. You can't avoid these...period!

These areas do have two huge yellow signs that say "Speed Measurement Zone." They are huge and for the life of me, I cannot understand how anyone could miss one! Just watch out for those and you are good to go.

BTW.....the photo radar vans are required to post two mobile signs within 1/4 mile of their van when measuring speed. These signs are much smaller and lower to the ground. Just keep an eye out for them and you are good to go!

^Oh, thank you for the info. BTW, is this Ka band radar? I use a Valentine1 radar detector.

Does this matter if you don't have a front plate? I don't have a front plate on any of my cars at this point. I am driving back from Tempe to pick up my car from Science of Speed next week.

No front plates necessary in AZ.

Also, the fixed photo cameras on the Interstates are being turned off permanently starting today!

Watch out for the vans in town and on the Interstates. Once again, they have two large diamond shaped yellow signs well in advance warning you of an upcoming radar zone. Most intersections in town have red light cameras as well!

Does this matter if you don't have a front plate? I don't have a front plate on any of my cars at this point. I am driving back from Tempe to pick up my car from Science of Speed next week.

Back