• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pictures don't lie...

I agree to a point. I myself have gone through my bouts with addiction(NOT with meth :wink: ), and it was one of the worst times of my life. I also watched my older brother struggle with meth and nearly lost not only his wife and kids, but his life as well. I agree, with MOST forms of addiction, it is controllable to a certain point, and there are definitely opposite ends of the spectrum. But, I've known ALOT of drug users, hung out with my fair share, and never once have I EVER seen somebody on meth who hasn't gone completely downhill, and I have NEVER known anyone who does meth that doesn't LOOK like like they do meth. It is a VERY VERY sad drug. I understand that kids are curious, and kids want to experiment, and kids will be kids... BUT, I don't understand how adults after knowing the ramifications of the drug, still try it for the first time. Same goes with smoking. EVERYBODY knows what smoking does to you, why would you light up for the first time as an adult? :confused:

True true, all valid points..... It would be interesting however to find out for certain whether it's the meth or the person that's at fault. Does the meth contain a certain chemical that is addictive, like nicotene, or is it just so damn good that in the wrong hands it's addicting? Those before/after pictures show a bleak story. Those people were probably continuous day/night users. It takes a very vulnerable/weak person to do a drug like that 24/7 or even a few times a week. Let's look at similar "hardcore" drugs, cocaine and ecstacy. Plenty of people would say similar things about these 2 substances and would equate them to meth. They could be just as addicting, no? Yet there are plenty of successful people who use these drugs regularly. Just like having a beer every now and then right? Pick your poison but in the end I think it comes down to personal responsibility and the emotional state of the person at the time he/she uses the drug. Something has to be wrong in someones life if they are blowing lines of coke, drinking, injecting meth, etc. on a Monday afternoon, etc. (you name the time/place). People need to figure their lives out instead of blaming a substance.

This guy actually looks pretty cool.

untitled1yo2.jpg

yeah... I think this guy improved! :biggrin:

Sorry that was funny. I know it's serious for some people.

I would say the drug is at fault. Obviously the person who does meth is a willing participant at some point.

Q. What Is Methamphetamine?
From National Institute on Drug Abuse

A. Methamphetamine is a powerfully addictive stimulant that dramatically affects the central nervous system. The drug is made easily in clandestine laboratories with relatively inexpensive over-the-counter ingredients. These factors combine to make methamphetamine a drug with high potential for widespread abuse.

Methamphetamine is commonly known as "speed," "meth," and "chalk." In its smoked form, it is often referred to as "ice," "crystal," "crank," and "glass." It is a white, odorless, bitter-tasting crystalline powder that easily dissolves in water or alcohol. The drug was developed early in this century from its parent drug, amphetamine, and was used originally in nasal decongestants and bronchial inhalers.

Methamphetamine's chemical structure is similar to that of amphetamine, but it has more pronounced effects on the central nervous system.

Like amphetamine, it causes increased activity, decreased appetite, and a general sense of well-being. The effects of methamphetamine can last 6 to 8 hours. After the initial "rush," there is typically a state of high agitation that in some individuals can lead to violent behavior.

Methamphetamine is a Schedule II stimulant, which means it has a high potential for abuse and is available only through a prescription that cannot be refilled. There are a few accepted medical reasons for its use, such as the treatment of narcolepsy, attention deficit disorder, and - for short-term use - obesity; but these medical uses are limited.

Q. What Are the Long-Term Effects of Methamphetamine Abuse?

A. Long-term methamphetamine abuse results in many damaging effects, including addiction. Addiction is a chronic, relapsing disease, characterized by compulsive drug-seeking and drug use which is accompanied by functional and molecular changes in the brain.

In addition to being addicted to methamphetamine, chronic methamphetamine abusers exhibit symptoms that can include violent behavior, anxiety, confusion, and insomnia. They also can display a number of psychotic features, including paranoia, auditory hallucinations, mood disturbances, and delusions (for example, the sensation of insects creeping on the skin, which is called "formication"). The paranoia can result in homicidal as well as suicidal thoughts.

With chronic use, tolerance for methamphetamine can develop.

Chronic abuse can lead to psychotic behavior, characterized by intense paranoia, visual and auditory hallucinations, and out-of-control rages that can be coupled with extremely violent behavior.

Meth Withdrawal Symptoms
Although there are no physical manifestations of a withdrawal syndrome when methamphetamine use is stopped, there are several symptoms that occur when a chronic user stops taking the drug. These include depression, anxiety, fatigue, paranoia, aggression, and an intense craving for the drug.

In scientific studies examining the consequences of long-term methamphetamine exposure in animals, concern has arisen over its toxic effects on the brain. Researchers have reported that as much as 50 percent of the dopamine-producing cells in the brain can be damaged after prolonged exposure to relatively low levels of methamphetamine.

Researchers also have found that serotonin-containing nerve cells may be damaged even more extensively. Whether this toxicity is related to the psychosis seen in some long-term methamphetamine abusers is still an open question.

Back