• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pictures of my Stereo Install/ Interior Conversion

NSX Write Up:

Well, after over 3 months of painstakingly slow waiting, my NSX stereo project is pretty much finished. I must say that I am extremely pleased with the outcome. It’s exactly the way I hoped it would be. Mind you, this took several revisions to get it to this point. It sounds unbelievable. Now, the first time I play any of my old CD’s in my NSX, it’s like listening to the song for the first time…only the way it was meant to be heard!

Admittedly the interior conversion isn’t for everyone, But then again, neither are all of my exterior body mods. The former interior was stock camel, which was very nice and classy looking. With the outside of this car being modified and lowered with the 18/19 wheel combo, I wanted to modify the interior and trunk to match. I leaned a little towards “over the top” because I wanted to enter it in some car shows, just for fun.

This is a list (that I can remember) of the parts and components that went into this conversion:

Alpine CDA 9835 Head Unit
Alpine SPX-177A Flagship 2 way Speakers
Alpine CHA- S634 6-CD/MP3 changer
Alpine KCA-410C Versatile Link Terminal Box
Tru Technology Copper 7 Amplifier
Tru Technology F1-B Active Crossover and Line Driver
Phase Linear Aliante 10” Subwoofer

Terk XMDirect Universal Tuner Box
Terk XM Adapter for Alpine
Smartenna

Valentine One Radar Detector remote Remote Display
Viper Alarm

Computer: Xenarc MP-SC8:
Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512 Mb RAM, 40GB HD, USB 2.0, PCMCIA slot, Windows XP
Xenarc 700TSV- 7” USB Touch Screen LCD Monitor
Gyration Ultra GT compact wireless keyboard and air mouse
Powered USB 2.0 4 port Hub

Two Optima Yellow Top Deep Cycle Batteries
12 volt 100 Watt Color Box
5/16” Solid Side fiber optic Glow Cabling
Neons, Fans, Cabling

SOS Center Console
Integra Type R shift knob
Northwest Leathers Custom Black/Red reverse stitching seat covers
Black Carpet kit and black side bolsters from Acura
Acura Black gas switch, trunk release, hatch release, and hood release switches
Custom Mats and Harness Pads from Hrant

Custom Fiberglass work:
1.Subwoofer Enclosure
2.Amplifier rack in trunk
3.Enclosure behind seats/ Valentine One Mount

Custom Speaker Covers
NSX Formula Red Automotive Paint with flex additive and Clear Coat
Custom Laser Cut and Etched Acrylic Amp and Subwoofer Covers

Credits:
D’Ecosse- for countless emails and PM’s of advice with each phase of my project
Coachworks Plus in Concord, NC: Bryan Hershner owner and Chief Installer
Freeman’s Stereo Charlotte, NC: Chris Dunphy consultant and sales

And now, for some pictures of my car.

FinishedNSX002.jpg

[
FinishedNSX003.jpg

FinishedNSX042.jpg

A closer shot to show how much room it takes up:

FinishedNSX043.jpg

The touchscreen/ computer runs Windows XP and can be used for virtually limitless applications:

FinishedNSX006.jpg

For MP3's ( How's 40GB of storage for ya!)

FinishedNSX013.jpg

For DVD's ( the computer's audio output goes directly into the Alpine auxiliary input for a crystal clear sound)

FinishedNSX028.jpg

for Navigation: (Currently using DeLorme Street Atlas....pic my location near Lake Murray in S.C.)

FinishedNSX012.jpg

With my USB 2.0 Wireless G adapter I can keep up to date on the Prime happenings as long as I'm in a Hot Spot:

FinishedNSX016.jpg

Behind the passenger seat is the custom keyboard holder and Valentine One Mount:

FinishedNSX087.jpg

Versatile Link Auxiliary Inputs behind drivers seat:

123_2331600x800.jpg

No Spare Tire, but plenty of spare power!

FinishedNSX048.jpg

And now, pictures of my amp rack:

FinishedNSX079.jpg

The fiber optic cable can be set to different color or set to slowly change from one color to the next.

FinishedNSX077.jpg

The rectangular area to the left of the trunk is felt lined holding area that can hold a can of Tire inflator, small tools, CD/DVD's etc.

FinishedNSX076.jpg

FinishedNSX073.jpg

FinishedNSX081.jpg

FinishedNSX072.jpg

another side shot:

FinishedNSX086.jpg

and a cool freaky night shot:

FinishedNSX084.jpg

This part of the project is coming to a close. Currently I have my Xenarc computer behind the passenger seat and I am considering having it mounted in the trunk amp rack if space allows. If so, I'll post updated pictures.

Once again a big thank you to D'Ecosse, Malibu Rapper and all the other members of NSX Prime who helped me out with great advice during this project.

Last edited:
All I can say is .................

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pleased with sound Dan? Sounds like it from your description. Glad it all worked out after your trials & tribulations. Congratulations!

congratulations Dan. the car looks absolutely amazing. can't wait to see it and hear it, perhaps at NOPI '05?

rk

p.s. do you have any more pics showing the speakers in the doors?

Thanks for all the feedback guys...keep it coming. I really appreciate all you opinions on this project.

Malibu: Actually, I had already ordered mats from Hrant....red mats with tan lettering. Never really used them. I am going to order some new custom sized mats in black, with black trim and red letters.

D'Ecosse: Yes, I'm pleased as hell with the sound. The subwoofer is amazing. Deep, solid, tight and fast. Thanks for all the audio hardware recommendations. I'll admit that I copied a few of my components from your set up...but hey.. isn't that supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery? :biggrin:

NsXMas: You're right about the extra weight. The amp weighs around 20lbs and the two optima's have some heft to them. Likewise the fiberglass rack probably weighs around 15-20 lbs. This setup wouldn't be good for those trying to squeak every last 1/10th of a second out this car. To me, as far as everyday driveability....I can't tell a bit of difference.

rk-nsx: I'm enclosing a couple more pictures of the speaker cover. It was designed out of aluminum with a nod towards the signature NSX door intake vents. (BTW...did you get to listen to your new Phase linear subwoofer yet?)

FinishedNSX065600x450.jpg

He put a subtle piece of circular neon around the speaker that illuminates when the door is opened. During the daytime, it is basically invisible, but at night, it is a really cool effect.

FinishedNSX062600x450.jpg

That is incredible!!! Well done!!!

What is installed in the area below your V1 where the old bose center speaker was located? I can't make it out in the pics.

Also, what are you controlling with the two switches below the V1 remote?

Dan,

thanks for the extra pics. my car finally went in for install last tuesday should have it back in 3 weeks (nothing nearly as wild as yours). will keep you informed.

rk

Incredible! Couple of notes: As an everyday driver, your trunk is now useless unless you mind scratching the finish. And my personal opinion is that is way too much red, or at least in pictures. Though I sound negative here, I'm really impressed and can't believe the fiberglass work that was performed here. Lots of hours and perfection put into getting a finish like that. Way to go!

I kinda agree with Juice on this. A little to much red, even for my taste. But it is your car so who cares what I think. :biggrin:
I am very impressed at the fit and finish of everything as indicated by the pics though.
How long did the whole process take?

HOLY COW!!! That is amazing!!! I have to ask....how much was the final tally on that?? You can PM it to me if you wish. Very nice!!! :eek:

pt91:
Thanks for the compliments. I was wondering when someone would ask me about those items. The item located where the center speaker was, is a transmitter for my wireless keyboard and air mouse (made by gyration). I don't really use the air mouse that much because the touchscreen is extremely precise.

The two switches are pretty much just for fun. My installer told me he could connect switches to just about anything so I have one that turns on the light display in the trunk, and the second switch initiates the color morphing along the fiber optic cabling.

Juice:
Thanks for your comments and compliments also. You're right about losing some of the functionality of the trunk. The paint job is clear coated, but I surely wouldn't want to scratch that finish! Luckily, this car is not used as a daily driver, so I was okay with the trade off. We just cruise around on sunny days for fun and I would like to start entering it in shows. ( I've only entered one show in the past, NOPI 2004).

I can see what you mean about it being too red. Even though I designed it this way, it took me a little getting used to myself. Now I love it this way.
In all actuality, in real life, the red interior isn't nearly as obnoxious as it looks in the photos. The flash from the camera really makes the red glow! In real life, the red is noticeable, but doesn't jump out at you.

92NSX:
Hey man. It seemed like this project took an eternity. The installer had this car for about 3 mos. However he actually only worked on it about 1/3 of that the time. The rest of the time he just hung on to it just in order to heighten the tension.

Likewise, your opinon is welcome. Perhaps the amount of red is shocking, but that's a bit of the effect I was trying to get. Hopefully, you'll get another chance to check it out live. When I'm driving this car and I glance around the interior and see all the custom work, it really makes me smile. Since I only drive this car occassionally, all that red just adds to the fun!

I figure if I ever get sick of the paint scheme, I can always have the pieces easily repainted back to stock colors, black, carbon fiber (doubt that), or any other color.

Meeyatch1:
I haven't tallied up the total bill yet. ( It's a combination of fear and denial). I will send you a PM when I figure it out...

D'Ecosse:
You don't miss a detail, do ya? :biggrin: Yes, I do have the 2 way speakers...I just mis-listed the model number. The correct number is Alpine SPX-177A. I edited my original post to reflect the correction.

Last edited:
Docdan,

Great Install. I’m not too excited about all the red. But overall the entire system is world class install. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Also instead of a pc keyboard, you might want to install Dragon dictate (voice to text) and just wire in a clip Mic above the drive side. Then you can have complete control over your pc with your hands on the steering wheel.
http://www.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/

I have a couple of questions for you, if you don’t mind answering.

1: what brand and size LCD touch screen have you used in your install?

2: where is the location of your pc? and what are the pc specs?

Cheers,
Sal

also if you have a website. i would love to see more pictures and read more information about your car.

This is truly some amazing work. :eek: I never use these little faces/smilies, but words just can't describe my feelings. I personally prefer a more subtle interior, but it should actually work in your favor when you start entering shows. Holy crap, I'm in a daze.

The best part is that I'm sure that the system rocks, unlike the stock, lame, Bose set-up I've got.

NEW Updates to my Install

Hello all. I am reviving this thread to make some new additions to it. Since the time of initial install, I had returned the car to Coachworks Plus to have a few minor tweaks and gadgets installed. I must admit, I am extremely pleased with the quality of work that was done on my car.

The best improvement made to my install, was to move my xenarc computer to the trunk amp rack. Previously, this computer was behind the passenger seat hogging up about 3" of foot space. Once we figured out how to get the computer to boot up with the ignition switch, it was a no brainer to have it moved to the trunk.

picture036600x450.jpg

picture040600x450.jpg

Terk has finally released it's XM tuner for the Alpine Head units, so I had one installed and run in through the Alpine Versatile Link Terminal box then into the Head Unit. The XM tuner box was installed behind the passenger seat since it is relatively slim.

picture046450x600.jpg

We mounted the antenna for the XM radio on the rear hatch glass just next to the GPS antenna.

picture008600x450.jpg

Another small, but needed additon to my set up was to replace the lighter plug that was taken out with the console. My installer made a durable sheath for it and ran it under the driver's mat.

picture057600x450.jpg

And finally, one last little "trick" install. A flush mounted USB port located right where the center speaker used to be. The applications for this are as limited as your imagination. A few such applications could be:

1. attach WIFI Wireless G modem for internet connectivity ( as shown in pic.)
2. attach a USB thumb drive to dowload new music to the hard drive for MP3's or any orther data
3. attach a USB camera on top of my Valentine One and run the cable to the port below. I could then record up to 30GB of video on my hard drive of my driving.
4. USB powered coffee warmer? just kidding. But really the applications are limitless.

picture002450x600.jpg

Once again, thanks for all the comments rendered.

Wow thats one pimped out NSX. I like it. Would you ever consider swapping out that Xenarc PC for a Mac Mini? I see you already like iTunes (the best damn digital jukebox in the world, in my opinion).

wow, probably the most thorough install I have seen. Any chance that you have any of your stock camel interior trim peices still around? I am looking for the door panels and maybe a few other misc parts. Just thought I would help you in recouping SOME of your expense.

Back