• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pimp my Garage Episode 2 - Bend Pak Strikes Back!

Masturbating

Nick - you owe me a margarita (and new underwear) for lusting over your car lift. Bastard. :biggrin:

Awesome job, Nick!

I too was wondering about the flooring tiles. Are they easy to clean? Can you just hose them down, and if so, are they water tight or will liquids seep through to the concrete floor beneath? I am curious why you didn't go with an epoxy flooring coating instead.

BTW, if you're coming to NSXPO, maybe you could assist me with such a project. ;) On the other hand, it might be simpler to just build an extra bay to the garage. :D

EDIT: Just watched the video, and it looks like the trunk of your NSX gets awfully close to that garage door opener. :eek:

In case you didn't know, Wayne Dalton makes garage door openers called idrives that mount on the wall directly above the garage door, and not on the ceiling. Could be an option if you really want to get that wagon. :D

Last edited:
Very nice. In your video, I thought the driver door hit the wall as you opened it up. I was like "WOW....that was a painful sound". ...but I guess not. I'm thinking about getting the other smaller lift, but i'm waiting for my rims to arrive so I know the clearance since I lowered it already.

mmmikemo said:
Nick...outstanding work and write-up...one question...does the lift require a special type of concrete to handle the weight on such a small area?...like some special density of concrete...seems that it is an awful lot of concentrated weight?...thanks...Mike

Actaully just your standard garage concrete will do. You don't want a lot of cracking and the epoxy is optional but I believe as long as it is rated at 3000 psi and is over 4 inches deep - you are fine (code for all states as I understand it).

PHOEN$X said:
Awesome job, Nick!

I too was wondering about the flooring tiles. Are they easy to clean? Can you just hose them down, and if so, are they water tight or will liquids seep through to the concrete floor beneath? I am curious why you didn't go with an epoxy flooring coating instead.

Yes - they are very easy to clean. I have a steam vac from hoover that I use on carpet, ceramic tile, and the garage. I buy the floor cleaner from Sams and in 20 minutes it looks like new. I know you can mop it or whatever and the seams are tight but do let water in if it sits. It does evaperate under it however. I had epoxy paint in my old house and it looked like hell after 2 years. We will see if this holds up better but the Racedeck folks seem to like and and the rumor is that these are the exact same tiles sold at Costco.

PHOEN$X said:
BTW, if you're coming to NSXPO, maybe you could assist me with such a project. ;) On the other hand, it might be simpler to just build an extra bay to the garage. :D

Wow if ever there was a reason to not go to NSXPO - this would be it! j/k! Seriously - I considered an extra bay but the easements where too close.

PHOEN$X said:
EDIT: Just watched the video, and it looks like the trunk of your NSX gets awfully close to that garage door opener. :eek:

In case you didn't know, Wayne Dalton makes garage door openers called idrives that mount on the wall directly above the garage door, and not on the ceiling. Could be an option if you really want to get that wagon. :D

Thanks for the heads up. It is really easy to use the lift. 6 clicks for the NSX and 4 clicks for the cadi makes everything perfect. I did research doors and it it good to know there is stuff like that out there - thank you for the heads up!

:)

vtec888 said:
Very nice. In your video, I thought the driver door hit the wall as you opened it up. I was like "WOW....that was a painful sound". ...but I guess not. I'm thinking about getting the other smaller lift, but i'm waiting for my rims to arrive so I know the clearance since I lowered it already.

Shasta! It really did! I was so busy working the camera that I didn't pay attention opening the door :redface:

Anyway I have the bumper gaurds on the doors and have hit the walls 1000 times with no damage except to my pride!

Re: Masturbating

AndyVecsey said:
Nick - you owe me a margarita (and new underwear) for lusting over your car lift. Bastard. :biggrin:

Wow Andy - owing you a Margarita and new shorts is the highest complement! That said - I would rather owe you then cheat you out of it!

:biggrin:

j/k - top shelf all the way - you are always welcome in St. Louis at my pad!

The before and after is amaaaazing. Lots of hard work but it really came out nice!

Excellent write up, thanks for sharing.

that's one cool garage. now i'm motivated to do my garage. but dont think i'll have $$$ for a lift.

Wow! I need to work on my 8 year garage project a little more now! After seeing what has been done, I feel like a boob, taking so long to finish mine.

If you anyone needs pricing on major brands of automotive tools and service equipment, feel free to PM me. I can offer the best prices on quality products like auto lifts, air compressors, floor jacks, tool boxes, truck lifts, tire changers, pipe benders, brake lathes and more.

More info can be found on BendPaks website here.
Take care,
John :biggrin:

matteni said:
A minced oath is a phrase that is substituted, sometimes at the last minute, for a swear word or blasphemous phrase......
Examples include: oh my goodness, gosh darn it, for crying out loud, shucks, shoot, fudge, holy cow and Mother Fletcher. ..
Don't forget Brother Tucker ............. :)

ANYTIME said:
Wow! I need to work on my 8 year garage project a little more now! After seeing what has been done, I feel like a boob, taking so long to finish mine.

If you anyone needs pricing on major brands of automotive tools and service equipment, feel free to PM me. I can offer the best prices on quality products like auto lifts, air compressors, floor jacks, tool boxes, truck lifts, tire changers, pipe benders, brake lathes and more.

More info can be found on BendPaks website here.
Take care,
John :biggrin:

Have you ever sold a tire changer to someone who does alot of track days and goes through tires? I've often wondered if it would ever be worth it to
change your own tires at home. When you figure discount tire hits you $25 each tire to mount and balance you might get it paid for pretty quick and you'd also be able to dismount and remount rear tires that aren't the same size as fronts to give even wear. Then again I guess you'd need an balancer too, do you do those??? :biggrin:

Now thatsa great story....

By the way, I like your rims - what kind are those?

skinnydoc said:
Now thatsa great story....

By the way, I like your rims - what kind are those?

Those are the Forgeline RS. I fell in love with them when Peter C. used to run them in Speedvision and when I would see them on the Cart NSX pace car.

amgnsx said:
that's one cool garage. now i'm motivated to do my garage. but dont think i'll have $$$ for a lift.

People are often shocked how reasonable the lifts are. The top of the line 4 post lifts are around $2600 and the single post like mine is around $3500. Ping John "Anytime" for up to date NSX club pricing! You can get cheaper lifts but they are rated as "hobby" lifts and aren't suitable for storage IMO.

Also - if you can fit the 4 post lift in your garage they have upgrades so you can actually "lift the car off the lift" by the jack points to work on the wheels, suspension, etc. Very cool for you bigger garage folks!

comquat1 said:
Have you ever sold a tire changer to someone who does alot of track days and goes through tires? I've often wondered if it would ever be worth it to
change your own tires at home. When you figure discount tire hits you $25 each tire to mount and balance you might get it paid for pretty quick and you'd also be able to dismount and remount rear tires that aren't the same size as fronts to give even wear. Then again I guess you'd need an balancer too, do you do those??? :biggrin:

The least expensive one I sell is the RX850. As seen here on BendPak/Ranger website. I sell it for $1600 delivered to your door. Retail is $1860, plus shipping. Add to that a bubble balancer for around $100 and your set. Let me know how many you would like and I'll check stock :biggrin:

binary_out.isg
binary_out.isg

ANYTIME said:
The least expensive one I sell is the RX850. As seen here on BendPak/Ranger website. I sell it for $1600 delivered to your door. Retail is $1860, plus shipping. Add to that a bubble balancer for around $100 and your set. Let me know how many you would like and I'll check stock :biggrin:

binary_out.isg
binary_out.isg

Let me get my four stall garage/house built in the next year and if I've got money left over I may consider it. I've always hated taking my car or tires to discount tire to get jacked $25/wheel plus my time I spend sitting in their waiting area doing nothing productive. I might have to run this one past the gf soon to be fiance for clearance. If i did this before a ring I think i'll get the heave ho! :biggrin:

matteni said:
Those are the Forgeline RS. I fell in love with them when Peter C. used to run them in Speedvision and when I would see them on the Cart NSX pace car.

Nick, that is exactly the story for my Forgelines as well. IMO they still look great on the car.

At the risk of being accused of hijacking this thread, I wanted to post that my garage door has officially been lifted as of today so that I might purchase a garage lift. Of interest, I thought prime readers might want to know the whole cost of $480 to modify the door. That fee included adding an extra 9' wide section to the garage door, extend the rails up approx. 3', change the drums/cables used to pull the door up and the guys were nice enough to reposition my garage door opener.

Previously, I had a standard 9' wide door with rails that were approx. 7' high off the floor. Now the garage door runs up to above 10' off the ground. I'm pumped for the next stage of the garage (i.e. parking lift).

My biggest delima now is whether to install myself or just hire out. After reading the previous expliots of DIY installation of a Bend Pak SP-6, I'm leaning towards hiring out!

very,very nice.

If it is a 4 post lift I can attest that it is not that difficult to do w/ 3 or 4 guys. It took us about 5 hours to complete everything. A little tip re the delivery is to ask if you can have it delivered on a truck w/ a lift. Once it is on your driveway, you and your buddies can take your time to unbolt the iron straps.

Jeff

Thanks for the advice Jeff. Actually, I was contemplating the same lift shown earlier on this thread or a 2-post lift from Bend Pak. Due to how my garage lays out and the fact I want to drive foward into the bay, I've decided on the 2-post lift. From what I hear, this is a new design from Bend Pak. Here's a link that shows some details

http://www.asedeals.com/free_standing_storage_lifts.html

although I have to confess, I'm going through John (ANYTIME) since he seems to be so helpful on Prime.

Doubt I luck out to get a truck with a lift, but if I DYI, I can rent a Bob Cat just a mile away that will unload and put into my garage. The whole idea of the project is un-nerving /exciting. If I ever figure out how to post pictures, I'll try to share some visual updates along the way.

Shaun

Shaun Ray said:
Thanks for the advice Jeff. Actually, I was contemplating the same lift shown earlier on this thread or a 2-post lift from Bend Pak. Due to how my garage lays out and the fact I want to drive foward into the bay, I've decided on the 2-post lift. From what I hear, this is a new design from Bend Pak. Here's a link that shows some details

That 2 post lift would have been very tempting if that had been availible. Seems much easier to setup then the single post and many of the problems I had would have been eliminated. Structuraly it seems better (my cars still lean a couple of inches from left to right) and it requires less secure drilling to hold it up. On the other hand - the single post on the passenger side makes it impossible to get the doors open in the garage (I drop everyone off in the driveway) and wonder how it will be for the driver - especially on the NSX.

Hi Nick,

First of all, let me say thanks to an incredible write up you posted on this subject. I certainly hope to have a smoother install, but your exploits have opened my eyes. That was one great story!

As for your observations, I am told by a tech at Bend Pak (claims to be the guy that designed the lift) that the PL-7 is very stable. They advertize that no anchor bolts are needed, although it is recommended. The tech says the design is so stable, I can park my NSX with the rear wheels right up to the back edge of the lift runners. Considering that the NSX has a 97" wheel base (hope I'm right on that detail, or flames will ignite) and the length from the back of the platform to the side post is nearly the same, I think the doors should clear the posts enough for the driver to exit.

I plan to do some more measurements tonight just to see if this makes sense. I've considered a 4-post lift (we have a great manufacturer in Wichita for such devices) but I'd hate to back out and have a mirror hit one of the posts. Also, seems to me that the 2-post or 1-post lift just allows more walk around room.

Shaun

Back