• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pimp my Garage Episode 2 - Bend Pak Strikes Back!

Shaun,
Here is a wright up I did on my garage lift install that I posted on the Garage Junkies forum,
http://www.garagejunkies.net/showthread.php?t=590
Give me a call and come by and take a look.
f3ea633a.jpg.thumb.jpg

Gary

Last edited:
Gary W said:
Shaun,
Here is a wright up I did on my garage lift install that I posted on the Garage Junkies forum,

Gary

Damnnnnnnnnnn....... That is nice Mr. Whiple.
I will be joining you guys next spring.... Thanks for the ideas....

Gary,

That garage is NICE! Hard to believe we haven't run into each other yet. DooDah is not that big a town. I recall you had some upgrades in the works for your '92 last winter. How did that turn out and what did you have done?

Any consulting advice you might have for my garage project would be welcomed.

Shaun

Wow, all I can say is wow. Thats pretty damn amazing. Are you going to air your own share in competition with Pimp My Ride now? :D

Gary W said:
Shaun,
f3ea633a.jpg.thumb.jpg

Gary

I apologize if this has already been covered, but what kind of flooring is that Gary? (not the black and white, but the light and dark gray) That is what I want to put in my new garage.

jlindy said:
I apologize if this has already been covered, but what kind of flooring is that Gary? (not the black and white, but the light and dark gray) That is what I want to put in my new garage.

The tile I used is a 8x8 porcelain from Crossville.
http://www.fastfloors.com/lp_15599,0,89986/Crossville-Ceramic-Tile/_/Cross-Colors-A-(UPS)-8-x-8/product.htm#NAV

The grout used was from Star Quartz in jet black.
http://www.garage-tile.com/productknowledge.htm

Gary

Twinsen said:
Wow, all I can say is wow. Thats pretty damn amazing. Are you going to air your own share in competition with Pimp My Ride now? :D

I would love to hear other stories - and for the record - it is not a competition any more then reading about someone's illness and then getting it is!

:cool:

Well, I haven't started anything yet, but in my quest for the ultimate garage I looked at as many options as possible. I thought about getting a lift to help me play musical cars but then I just didn't like the idea of that after working around having 3 cars in my current 2.5 stall set up. So now I'm in the process of designing my new house (current ones for sale) and I'm looking into doing a double decker set up. I'll have a three stall garage on the upper level with garage doors for each bay and then a drive going down to the lower level out back with a single stall garage door to access the lower three stall area. I really can't wait, my neighbor a couple lots down is doing this now which gave me the idea. His looks pretty good, they havn't poured the final pads yet, but I like what I see so far. One benefit I can think of is when washing my car in the summer, that basement area has got to be very cool being that it's down in the ground.

RP-Motorsports said:
Great read!!! Very interesting. Makes me glad that I built a 5 car garage with my new house!!!!

That's a worthless statement without pics! :biggrin:

menuserve said:
I have to say that's one amazing story and one awesome garage - congrats!

I may have missed it or you may have not shared it but I'm curious as to what the final and total cost of this was? Care to share?

I assume this question was to me. My garage was completely unfinished so I had that cost as well but my total was about $9k including:

- Paint & Primer = $150
- Drywall & Help = $300
- Garage door opener modification & Help= $200
- Adding sockets = $50
- Building out the attic and lights = $300
- lighting = $100
- cabinets = $1200
- organizers = $200
- lift & help = $3000 (BendPac refunded a lot of money for the problems I had)
- art = $400
- tiles = $2000
- hardware = $200
- misc = $300

Hope this helps. Definitely happy with my results for the investment in money (now that I have forgotten all the pain!).

Where did you get the NSX parking only sign? I've never seen one with the "A" on it. I want one. as well as the lift too.

Thanks,

Aero said:
Where did you get the NSX parking only sign? I've never seen one with the "A" on it. I want one. as well as the lift too.

Thanks,

I bought it 3 years or so ago on Ebay. The guy sold them for every car known and I bet he would customize one too if you wanted.

Search Ebay with "NSX parking sign" and you will see the ones they currently sell. I bet if you send the picture of mine (if you don't like the current ones) they would make one up for you.

As for the lift - buying my wife a new house worked for me! :)

Good luck!

Shaun Ray said:
Well, after some delays I have finally just ordered my garage lift!!!!! Will keep you all posted as the project develops!

Shaun

Did you get the 2 post lift? I just wonder how that is going to work since you need to center the car weight wize on the lift and the door will be right in the way of the post on the car side?

Yes, I did order the two post lift. It is a model PL-7. The posts are off center and favor the front end of the car. I sort of measured it around the NSX and the posts should stand about lateral to the door hinges. According to Jeff at Bend-Pak, I only need to drive the car up on the rails - don't have to center the car from front to back so there should be ample room to exit the door on both the driver or passenger sides. There are stabilizer legs at the bottom of the posts to handle the offset load of the post positions.

Of course (as you know from experience) I will only really know it works once the lift is installed in my garage!

Jeff also said the posts are about 600# and two guys are adequate to tip them up to vertical. The running boards (rails) are the heaviest parts at about 800# according to Jeff. They look very similar to the SP-6 that you installed for your garage.

If I don't have an installer doing the work, I plan to rent a bobcat to unload the parts into the garage and just go from there!

I've been meaning to ask if you bought a 220V version? That's the one I'm going with. I plan to put in a 220V breaker and run some wiring from the breaker box to my attic so I can hard wire the lift up throught the attic ceiling. The top of the post is about 18" from the ceiling so just a little bit of conduit will show. I thought it might be cleaner than running a condiut line across the garage floor to the wall (just something to trip over, huh?).

Shaun Ray said:
I've been meaning to ask if you bought a 220V version? That's the one I'm going with. I plan to put in a 220V breaker and run some wiring from the breaker box to my attic so I can hard wire the lift up through the attic ceiling. The top of the post is about 18" from the ceiling so just a little bit of conduit will show. I thought it might be cleaner than running a conduit line across the garage floor to the wall (just something to trip over, huh?).

I went with the 110V version and haven't had any problems and it seems quick to me. Don't know why you would want to go through the hassle of the 220v when you already have 110v available? I ran 110 to the top of the post and use it to run a light I installed in the attic as well. The one thing I did have to do was adjust the pressure regulator built into the motor to allow more hydraulic pressure into the system. It was setup at 220v and needs to be adjusted for 110v.

As for the 2 posts - you will want to center the weight when you see how hard it stresses the lift to have it "non centered". There are basically some nylon blocks inside the lift that will be very stressed and will cause a lot of friction - at a minimum. Also - I would recommend still renting a rotohammer and drilling and securing the lift to the concrete floor. We did a lot of testing before we drilled and you would be surprised how much that 800lb platform wants to move as you try to roll up onto the lift.

FYI

As for the 2 post - if it had been available - I am sure I would have went with it if nothing else for the extra piece of mind. That said - I do enjoy the extra room to get in and out that the single post offers. Can't wait to hear about your experiences - PM if you have any questions you think I can help with!

The single post lift is certainly what caught my eye. If my NSX was parked on the right side of our garage, I would probably opt for the SP-6 lift. Unfortunately, it's parked on the left side. The double post lift (PL-7) should locate the posts in front of the front door hinges, so I was okay with a post in the middle of the garage as long as I can pull all the cars in and exit any door on any car.

I opted for the 220V because I only have to pop in a 30amp breaker and run some wire. (Over simplified, but really easier than wiring a stereo for the NSX!). Probably have to run a GFI breaker so there is some added cost, so I can understand why you opted for the 110V method.

Still looking for a local installer!

Holy CRAP!! Got a notice today that my PL-7 lift is scheduled to ship on October 5th! I just ordered it last Friday! Guess I better start running AC power soon!

you did too much work.

Get the direct lift pro 7. Stuffed that in my apartment 2 car garage. Just first and no hassel of knocking out the roof.

only 2G's. picked it up on my F150 and drove it home. 1600lbs and 14 feet long but it works.

...holy crap.

that's truly unbelievable...

but you know, instead of having a trap door going up to your attic, you should have a slide coming down from your bedroom and into the driver seat!

"TO THE BATMOBILE!" lol

but seriously- what you did is amazing.

Back