• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pininfarina v. Audi

Ferrari v. Audi Styling for next NSX

Edited for technical correctness and to save Phoenix a heart attack. :wink:

I think the new NSX is great and all, but I don't think it will be as classic/timeless as the original.

The original HPX styling was done by Pininfarina, and the prototype was done by Ken Okuyama who eventually ended up at Pininarina. Honda was going for Ferrari-like looks, and borrowed a lot of cues from Pininfarina and Ferrari. I don't know how Pininfarina/Ferrari does it, but generally, they just produce classic/timeless beautiful looks.

While the new styling is great, it's sort of copying the Audi R8 look--which looks fine now as it is futuristic/cool, but I don't think it has beauty/timelessness.

Not to mention that it will be a hybrid without a true manual transmission.

Last edited:
Wrong, the NSX was NOT designed by Pininfarina. Pininfarina was commissioned to design the HP-X, which looks nothing like the NSX:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z2397/Honda-HP-X.aspx

honda-hpx-big.jpg

Where are you getting your information from? :confused:

Last edited:
lol. okay, edited for you.

Nevertheless, Honda was taking styling cues from Pininfarina/Ferrari back then; but now they are borrowing from Audi. I don't see why they didn't borrow from the 458...

The NSX was a great design and years ahead of its time, no argument about that.

However with so many new sports cars came out these past few years with high tech infotainment system and extensive use of LED lighting, the NSX is showing its age, imo ...

That as nothing to do with where Honda is taking their styling cues from.

If you are looking for a high tech infotainment system and LED lighting in the old NSX, you are looking in the wrong place. If you want it in the new one, there is nothing to say that it won't be in the new one.

Furthermore, while I can admit that the NSX shows some age, I don't think an Infotainment system or LED lighting has anything to do with it.

Mentioning it in this thread...no point.

Well ... even the exterior styling is showing its age compare to newer sports cars, but it aged very well when compare to other Japanese sports cars from the 90s.

It is widely believed that the NSX design was greatly influenced (if not stolen from) the MID-4 Nissan concept that came out 3 years before.

http://thethrottle.thechive.com/201...hould-have-made-it-to-production-18-pictures/

The first MID4 concept looked nothing like the NSX. The MID4-II looked similar to the NSX, but that debuted in 1987 and Honda had the NS-X concept debuted in 1989. So there were ~two years between the cars, but after looking at the several iterations of the buildup, I think that Honda came up with the much better looking design by themselves.

The new NSX is too small for anything Audi would come up with, but more like a Gallardo. I think people who are associating it with Audi are blind :redface:

The first MID4 concept looked nothing like the NSX. The MID4-II looked similar to the NSX, but that debuted in 1987 and Honda had the NS-X concept debuted in 1989. So there were ~two years between the cars, but after looking at the several iterations of the buildup, I think that Honda came up with the much better looking design by themselves.

The new NSX is too small for anything Audi would come up with, but more like a Gallardo. I think people who are associating it with Audi are blind :redface:

I haven't seen the new NSX in person but I noticed the R8 is smaller in person than on photo.

One care doesn't look like another because of its size?? lol. If you don't see a resemblance between the new NSX and the Audi R8, you are in the minority.

One care doesn't look like another because of its size?? lol. If you don't see a resemblance between the new NSX and the Audi R8, you are in the minority.

Nothing wrong with being a minority, but its pretty obvious the Lambo allusions are more prevalent than Audi, especially when the R8 was based off of the Gallardo.

Back