• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Planning on building the ultimate NSXs - Resuka Design - Would anyone buy them?

I definitely won't be able to afford this, but really curious where it goes. If I had the money (which is extremely unlikely) I would be interested. I cannot tell you how many people have remarked about their desire to own a NSX but find the power disappointing. What you say about the NSX (and many older cars) being more connected and more pure than modern cars absolutely speaks to me as I feel the same way.

Will be watching where this goes with excitement.

I'm up for challenges.

Yeah, forget turbo. The "ultimate NSX" should include the motor 2002-Honda *would* have built if they were interested in keeping the NSX competitive through the back half of its 15-year run.

The S54 in my M3 (which came out in 2001) is an inline six with electronically actuated individual throttle bodies and over 100hp/L. I wish someone would apply some of those ideas to a 3.5L C30 stroker...

Yeah, forget turbo. The "ultimate NSX" should include the motor 2002-Honda *would* have built if they were interested in keeping the NSX competitive through the back half of its 15-year run.

The S54 in my M3 (which came out in 2001) is an inline six with electronically actuated individual throttle bodies and over 100hp/L. I wish someone would apply some of those ideas to a 3.5L C30 stroker...

There will be two NSXs. Street and Track. Street will likely have the 3.5L Stroker with ITBs if it can be done right and reliably. Key word is reliably. The Track version is a 3.5L Turbo setup.

There are options.. for example the street will allow for a 3.5L Comptech S/C engine.

Hey another thing you should do, IMO, is move the headlights outwards if you are going to make the NSX so much wider. Nobody ever does this and it makes wide body cars look like they have chubby cheek faces. People say "I wish the NSX was wider like other exotics" all the time but the thing that makes every wide body look like an aftermarket kit is the headlight placement. It's a dead give away every time that under the bodywork is a regular Car not intended to be wide body. I don't think I am the only one who notices? Your wide body especially is the widest I've seen so it's a good opportunity to do something different. Photoshop the headlights over a few inches and see if you like it first perhaps. Honestly I thought your front end looked awesome in some photos but a bit awkward in others. Just offering my opinion, best of luck w your builds either way.

Consider offering a Stoptech or Performance Friction BBK option...just a thought. I do love Brembo's (have unobtanium ones mounted on my 998R), but I have been very impressed with Stoptech! Just my 2 cents worth...

If you and your team can succeed in completing the two cars ......then the next phase has to be press/magazine coverage...get the word out about your cottage industry and your better than new resto-mod nsx ...and see what happens...could be exciting.

I second the pfcs bbk... 355mm fills 17 and 18s very well... The only 17s I know that fit 355mm bbk are TE37s and Nismo LMGT4s... Just a thought...

Didn't Spoon try this with the NSX-R GT? I heard they ended up building like 4 cars max. Was their marketing crappy? Or bad timing (global recession 2008)?

Singer hit the spot by getting rid of the bad in old Porsches, and replacing them with equal or better modern parts. I think it's better we look at what needs to be improved upon the already awesome NSX than replacing everything that doesn't need to be.

1. Engine Power? Chain conversion to deal with the timing belt issue. Might as well swap a modern 3.5L with turbo if power is what you seek.
2. Wider front fenders to get rid of poor tire choice issue. The original lines of the car is what sets it apart from the rest. Over doing will ruin the look.
3. Upgrade exterior lighting and interior electronics/leather but keep the old school look.

The above are the main things Singer touched and improved upon base on my knowledge. Most who bought or kept the NSX like the design, and making those traits look too modern might kill the car imho. Also, who will be the target customer? Singer targets the mature crowds that are financially well and wants to keep their youth dream cars alive and reliable. Do we have those in the shrinking NSX community? All I see are investors trying to make a profit from mint condition NSX for the collectors these days, and collectors usually don't like to mess with big modifications.

I think making less changes and stick with the original sauce is the key. Making a already fun and reliable car more enjoyable than expensive parts for speed and show is more attractive to the general NSX owners.

Last edited:
Hey another thing you should do, IMO, is move the headlights outwards if you are going to make the NSX so much wider. Nobody ever does this and it makes wide body cars look like they have chubby cheek faces. People say "I wish the NSX was wider like other exotics" all the time but the thing that makes every wide body look like an aftermarket kit is the headlight placement. It's a dead give away every time that under the bodywork is a regular Car not intended to be wide body. I don't think I am the only one who notices? Your wide body especially is the widest I've seen so it's a good opportunity to do something different. Photoshop the headlights over a few inches and see if you like it first perhaps. Honestly I thought your front end looked awesome in some photos but a bit awkward in others. Just offering my opinion, best of luck w your builds either way.

Thanks for the comments. I agree with you on the front end of the Resuka Track NSX. It was too wide, and had this weird overhang in the front. It wasn't completed and I had not fully signed off on the custom work yet. Just a reality of SEMA deadlines. the final design won't make the front seem too wide. I actually don't want that. There will be some width, but the one nice thing about the pop design is that you eye doesn't first migrate to the headlights. It will over time but not right away. For the Resuka Street NSX this won't be an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Consider offering a Stoptech or Performance Friction BBK option...just a thought. I do love Brembo's (have unobtanium ones mounted on my 998R), but I have been very impressed with Stoptech! Just my 2 cents worth...

Thanks for the input. Shad and I had long discussions about this. For the Track Version.. we will go with the Comptech Brembo Indy setup... or the Brembo current equivalent - which is now branded the GTR line. Shad uses this on all his race NSXs and says they never have a problem.

For the Street NSX, well, I think it might be overkill to put in the GTR brakes. So we've decided to do Brembo 6 piston front and 4 piston rear to give a more reasonable bias and use Type 3 rotors.

- - - Updated - - -

If you and your team can succeed in completing the two cars ......then the next phase has to be press/magazine coverage...get the word out about your cottage industry and your better than new resto-mod nsx ...and see what happens...could be exciting.

Completely agree. Already have Super Street down for a likely cover.. they love it that much based upon their first view of the car at SEMA. With all the rest, it shouldn't be a problem. But I really want to get it in the bigger mags... Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Automobile, Road and Track... and, more importantly, Top Gear, Evo, and Robb Report. That's where the clientele is. It's a lofty goal.. but who says anyone achieves anything by aiming low.

- - - Updated - - -

I second the pfcs bbk... 355mm fills 17 and 18s very well... The only 17s I know that fit 355mm bbk are TE37s and Nismo LMGT4s... Just a thought...

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already decided on the 18/19 setup. Just way more tire options for the consumer. It also fits my choice for the street car well - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2's in 235/40-18 and 285/35-19.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't Spoon try this with the NSX-R GT? I heard they ended up building like 4 cars max. Was their marketing crappy? Or bad timing (global recession 2008)?

They did... but it wasn't really considered a resto-mod.. and their car looked like a rather odd aftermarket car that only hardcore JDM guys could love. In a way, the Spoon NSX GTR is like a Ruf 911. They don't sell much nowadays in comparison to Singer. But the reason is I think Singer speaks to nostalgia and the way you remember your first 911. I want that same feeling too for owners - which often is the 1991-1994 coupe with popup lights and black roof. I remember first laying my eyes on that car and instantly falling in love.

The Resuka Street NSX will look almost like an OEM NSX with the best of all worlds... only in CF. Imagine a well fitted Advance front lip, OEM NA2 sides, NA2 Rear valence with a better integrated diffuser and a barely wider wide body to allow for the rubber and slight negative camber. I think that would look clean, classic and instantly recognizable as an NSX.

- - - Updated - - -

Singer hit the spot by getting rid of the bad in old Porsches, and replacing them with equal or better modern parts. I think it's better we look at what needs to be improved upon the already awesome NSX than replacing everything that doesn't need to be.

1. Engine Power? Chain conversion to deal with the timing belt issue. Might as well swap a modern 3.5L with turbo if power is what you seek.
2. Wider front fenders to get rid of poor tire choice issue. The original lines of the car is what sets it apart from the rest. Over doing will ruin the look.
3. Upgrade exterior lighting and interior electronics/leather but keep the old school look.

The above are the main things Singer touched and improved upon base on my knowledge. Most who bought or kept the NSX like the design, and making those traits look too modern might kill the car imho. Also, who will be the target customer? Singer targets the mature crowds that are financially well and wants to keep their youth dream cars alive and reliable. Do we have those in the shrinking NSX community? All I see are investors trying to make a profit from mint condition NSX for the collectors these days, and collectors usually don't like to mess with big modifications.

I think making less changes and stick with the original sauce is the key. Making a already fun and reliable car more enjoyable than expensive parts for speed and show is more attractive to the general NSX owners.

Great post.. thanks for the advice.

1 - Chain conversion is something I never thought of... now I must talk to Shad about it.
2 - Width will definitely be addressed... as I want to fit 235/40-18 and 285/35-19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s
3 - Yep. We think the same.

Target customer is more the people who are like me... grew up idolizing NSX and JDM and now have the means to buy a really nice one. The car is not going to sell in large numbers at all.. I'd be happy to make 3-5 a year... I would consider that a smashing success.

Truth is - I'm not here to make a profit. I'm not kidding.. I have a day job.. and this is really fun for me. I want to make some money for my partners.. guys who are some the most honest, humble, and hard working car guys I know - Shad from Driving Ambition and Lance from GT Auto Concepts. I like to reward people who give their best and are sincere and love cars. These two guys are them.

If you're going with 285/35/19 rears, then you might have to look into the traction control system and speedo difference with the taller tires.

What price range would your ultimate NSX conversion be in?

If you're going with 285/35/19 rears, then you might have to look into the traction control system and speedo difference with the taller tires.

What price range would your ultimate NSX conversion be in?

I did actually.. I use the magic 1.069 ratio for rear for NA1 and the lower ratio for NA2 ABS systems... Traction control is pretty useless in these cars and since most people I know turn it off anyways, the only thing I'm keeping is the ABS system.

Cost is still not clear. The issue is not parts.. the issue is the labor that will be put into doing this. Since we are completely deconstructing the car and then reconstructing it with parts that have to be perfect or better, it will be labor intensive. Singer estimates 4000+ man hours are put into each car - which is cost prohibitive. So I'm trying to figure out ways to get that much lower so my partners can make some sort of a profit, even if I myself don't.

Really looking forward to watching how this develops, I am not in the market for obvious reasons of being on the other side of the world but at some stage would love to pull mine down and do this and put a 3.5 with all the good NA parts on her

I did actually.. I use the magic 1.069 ratio for rear for NA1 and the lower ratio for NA2 ABS systems... Traction control is pretty useless in these cars and since most people I know turn it off anyways, the only thing I'm keeping is the ABS system.

Cost is still not clear. The issue is not parts.. the issue is the labor that will be put into doing this. Since we are completely deconstructing the car and then reconstructing it with parts that have to be perfect or better, it will be labor intensive. Singer estimates 4000+ man hours are put into each car - which is cost prohibitive. So I'm trying to figure out ways to get that much lower so my partners can make some sort of a profit, even if I myself don't.

I personally just want a kick ass street car. Another good NSX is too hard to find if I mess one up at the track and replacement parts are not always readily available.

Exterior: Just wider front fender and type R like hood.
Interior: Recaro PP for the driver side since my head is barely touching the roof and a steering wheel that makes the interior newer and sport-welcoming when I enter.
Electronics: Bluetooth for phone calls and music.
Engine: If you can come up with a chain conversion design I can help with casting parts since I'm in the business. And CTSC for NA like power delivery.
Tranny: The usual clutch upgrades for the extra power from a supercharge system.
Chassis: I just bought the NSX earlier this year and have not yet look into this matter.
Suspension: KW in and researching a lift kit.

Above are the things I planned to do, but please fill me in on things you recommend from your experience.

I personally just want a kick ass street car. Another good NSX is too hard to find if I mess one up at the track and replacement parts are not always readily available.

Exterior: Just wider front fender and type R like hood.
Interior: Recaro PP for the driver side since my head is barely touching the roof and a steering wheel that makes the interior newer and sport-welcoming when I enter.
Electronics: Bluetooth for phone calls and music.
Engine: If you can come up with a chain conversion design I can help with casting parts since I'm in the business. And CTSC for NA like power delivery.
Tranny: The usual clutch upgrades for the extra power from a supercharge system.
Chassis: I just bought the NSX earlier this year and have not yet look into this matter.
Suspension: KW in and researching a lift kit.

Above are the things I planned to do, but please fill me in on things you recommend from your experience.

Great list!

This is for the Resuka Design Street NSX:

Exterior - just slightly wider and a little custom touches that do not mess with the original lines at all.
Interior - will be all custom high end soft grain leather with alcantara and CF highlights. Seats will be some form of Recaro.
Electronics - all cars will be outfit with a new custom sound system from Alpine, Focal, Mosconi and Illusion Audio with a sub. Whole system will weigh < 15 lbs (CF sub enclosure)
Engine- base will be a 3.5L ITB setup with a 3.5L S/C as an option. I'll look into a chain conversion but from what Shad tells me it's unlikely.
Tranny- will be Comptech upgraded clutch (same as used by Porsche actually) with Giken Diff
Chassis- since we have the benefit of stripping the car to bare metal... we will perform some extra welds and reinforcements before putting everything back together.
Suspension- currently already working with Ohlins for a custom setup.
Brakes- will be 6 piston Brembo GT and 4 piston out back

Most importantly - we will be fine tuning the car on track with multiple different race drivers that Shad and I know. Off track tuning will of course be done by normal people. This car is meant to be a turnkey - nostalgic and classic, but with modern chassis/engine/suspension/interior upgrades to make it feel like driving a car you can get now.

- - - Updated - - -

Really looking forward to watching how this develops, I am not in the market for obvious reasons of being on the other side of the world but at some stage would love to pull mine down and do this and put a 3.5 with all the good NA parts on her

It's fun even just planning it! But again, if it's cost prohibitive, it may be a pipe dream. Finding prospective buyers early is the key.

Back