• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Plasti-dip Questions and answers

Hey everyone, I figured I would start a thread where all the Q&A on the plasti-dip could be in one spot.. I think we have 2 or 3 threads going about this now in different sections.

I will try to answer whatever questions you have on the products. We have dipped 3-4 vehicles and motorcycles and countless parts. I am getting a lot of PM's regarding it too which is great. I am sure some people have the same questions so I figured this is a better avenue to discuss. I'll check the thread as often as possible and update. I'm on here pretty frequently :)

Brian

I know I've been talking with ya pm but thought I'd make some general questions public since I'll be doing this in the next month.

1. Wagner gun is needed for the gallons if you don't want the paint cans.

But if you use the gallons do you need to thin it out? I see some people like dipyourcar.com advertising thei colors with it already reduced but some sites selling the reducer separate.

Also have you ever tinted colors before? I'm looking to replicate the red BMW 5 series that's red but it has a darker tint. I'll try to find a picture while I'm at work.

Yes, DYC.com sells the gallons already thinned.

Just about anywhere else you get it it will have to be reduced. It's tough to get the mixture just right and if its not the finish gets kind of hairy. It won't lay flat like a paint. It has a cloth like texture. It's very odd. As far as tinting goes yes I have experimented and you can achieve that color. Just buy 3 gallons of red, dump in a 5 gallon bucket and add small amounts of black until you get the desired color.

Make sure when you putting it in the gun to filter the dip using a paper funnel/filter. They can be bought at Home Depot 4 in a pack for .98 cents.

I found a lot of good info here

- How long does PlastiDip last? PlastiDip will last a very long time. We always suggest a minimum of 4-5 coats. We've seen wheels, grilles, ect dipped for over 1 a year without having to be touched up. Unless there is a specific event that damages the PlastiDip, it will hold up great and keep it's finish. It is very durable and will not lose it's bond.

- Will it hold up to the elements (sun, winter)? PlastiDip is extremely resistant to the elements, including sun fading, winter ice, cold, salt ect. A lot of customers actually dip their wheels and cars specifically to protect the original surfaces from the winter season.

- Does it really peel off? Yes, PlastiDip really does peel off. We always suggest a minimum of 4-5 coats, not only for durability, but to make sure it peels off in large pieces when you are ready. Check in our videos section and you will see a video showing how it peels off of wheels, ect. It will peel off even after a long period of time - however after extreme lengths of time (8-12 months), it may dry out a bit and come off in smaller pieces.

- How many coats should I put on? DipYourCar.com always suggests a minimum of 4-5 coats. Winter wheels, ect may benefit from an extra couple coats for good measure.

- How should I prep my wheels or car before dipping? Although not always necessary, DipYourCar.com always suggests using rubbing alcohol and paper towels to prep the wheels or car before dipping. This will eliminate and grease, oil, dirt, debris or wax that may hinder the dip's ability to bond.

- How/Can I wash the dipped areas of my car? Dipped items/cars can be easily hand washed with regular carwash soap. Usually a good washing with soap, water and a soft mitt is all the dipped area will need once a week to stay looking brand new. Car washes that use high pressure washers or harsh brushes should be avoided.

- Can I use PlastiDip as a clear protective bra for the front of my car? Of course! We have hundreds of customers that use the Original Clear PlastiDip as a protective clear bra. Works great!

- Does Glossifier peel off just like regular Plastidip? Yes, Glossifier peels off just like the Original Plastidip! So do the Metalizers!

- Can I spray Glossifier over non-plastidipped areas? Yes, Glossifier can be sprayed over non- plastidipped areas and will add a glossy finish. It also will peel off afterwards!

- How far away should I spray PlastiDip? The usual recommended spray distance is between 4-5 inches away. Watch some of our videos from the Videos section to see Fonzie spray!

- Will PlastiDip protect my wheels from winter salt/snow? PlastiDIp is extremely resistant to the elements, including winter ice, cold, salt ect. A lot of customers actually dip their wheels and cars specifically to protect the original surfaces from the winter season.

- Can PlastiDip be sprayed out of a spraygun? Of course! We have shops and customers all over the country who spray our Pre-Thinned PlastiDip through all kinds of sprayers and spray guns. Pre-thinned plastidip is available through DipYourCar.com in 11 ounce units and Gallons! It comes ready to spray.

- Can I cover a black car in white plastidip? Yes, many customers have dipped a black car white. It just takes more product to do so. If you plan on dipping your black car white, prepare to go through at least 20 cans or 2 gallons to do so. Better to have extra than not enough.

- How many gallons would I need to dip a whole car? 2 Gallons is enough to dip a regular sized sedan.

Yes, DYC.com sells the gallons already thinned.

Just about anywhere else you get it it will have to be reduced. It's tough to get the mixture just right and if its not the finish gets kind of hairy. It won't lay flat like a paint. It has a cloth like texture. It's very odd. As far as tinting goes yes I have experimented and you can achieve that color. Just buy 3 gallons of red, dump in a 5 gallon bucket and add small amounts of black until you get the desired color.

Make sure when you putting it in the gun to filter the dip using a paper funnel/filter. They can be bought at Home Depot 4 in a pack for .98 cents.

Awesome. So basically all that bmw's color is is red with black tint? Would you use the custom colors kit some people sell then to tint the red?

Awesome. So basically all that bmw's color is is red with black tint? Would you use the custom colors kit some people sell then to tint the red?

All Paint or color is simply tints and mixes. But yea, it is a dark plum type color correct? If You can find the small containers of black then use that to tint the red yes. Just remember if you put in to much black it will quickly turn to black. use small amounts to get to your desired color.

Anyone have any photos of a car with just the clear coat on. I am about to repair every single little rock chip on my 91' formula red and I want a little extra protection so I won't have to do it again any time soon. Also curious as to how a metalizer ontop of the clear ontop of the red would look?

Not sure about metalizer over red or clear, but it looks good on top of matte black. It's been almost a month and the stuff holding up great on wheels.

I will try to answer whatever questions you have on the products.

Brian

Ok. I got one.
Could we plastic dip the NSX coolant tank?
Will plasti dip hold up from the high temp of coolant and engine bay?

Last edited:
Ok. I got one.
Could we plastic dip the NSX coolant tank?
Will plasti dip hold up from the high temp of coolant and engine bay?

Yes, So far it is holding up perfectly. No issues. The only thing I have found that ruins this is gas.

Anyone have any photos of a car with just the clear coat on. I am about to repair every single little rock chip on my 91' formula red and I want a little extra protection so I won't have to do it again any time soon. Also curious as to how a metalizer ontop of the clear ontop of the red would look?

I have not only cleared anything. The clear leaves a matte finish though. If you want it shiny you will need to use glossifier on top of the clear.

I would love to see pictures of it :)

gotta admit...I didn't know about this product until serveral days ago and I'm loving it after viewing all the youtube about the product. Where can I invest in this product? :)

I was thinking about re-painting my rim or sell it and buy a new one, but I'm going to try this plastic dip option :)

Yes, So far it is holding up perfectly. No issues. The only thing I have found that ruins this is gas.

A few more questions for ya source..... I am seriously realizing the potential this stuff has! Can you just hit paint with the glossifier and it peel up just as the colored plasti-dip? Or do you have to lay down clear plasti-dip and then use the glossifier on top of that? Also could you paint on top of the plasti-dip. I would love to clear my entire car just to protect the original finish and keep it clear for a while. Then when winter rolls around do the entire car white and get my air brush on. Crazy graffiti and all the paint job craziness I could pull off, finish all that and clear it again. Until of course I get sick of it and just peel it all off and go back to my formula red! Last question can you plasti-dip a few layers and then wait a few months or so and then add more too it and it all be one flat layer? or would the first layer cure together and the second together and them not bond as one.

Last edited:
I would love to see pictures of it :)

gotta admit...I didn't know about this product until serveral days ago and I'm loving it after viewing all the youtube about the product. Where can I invest in this product? :)

I was thinking about re-painting my rim or sell it and buy a new one, but I'm going to try this plastic dip option :)

Here you go before:
DSC011951.JPG

After:

DSC02936.JPG

DSC029391.JPG

Thanks NSX GT, but I was hoping to see a pic of the coolant with plastic dip :)

Here's my before and after:

I'm not too happy with my first attempt since I have some flaw. For some reason, some area in my lip has a rougher sand texture look. I kept spraying over it, but it wouldn't go away. Also, while spraying, several chunk of paint squirted out and made a big bubble spot. Stupid me, I used a paper towel to wipe it out, thinking it was still liquid. Nope, it started forming plastic-like so I had a mess to remove.

I have to use a full can for this rim and use one more coat from a new can because i wasn't too happy with some lighter spot.

Oh well, this is only temporarily to see if I like black rim or not. If I do, then I'll get it painted professionally.

img3113jh.jpg

img3118o.jpg

Last edited:

I'm not too happy with my first attempt since I have some flaw. For some reason, some area in my lip has a rougher sand texture look. I kept spraying over it, but it wouldn't go away. Also, while spraying, several chunk of paint squirted out and made a big bubble spot. Stupid me, I used a paper towel to wipe it out, thinking it was still liquid. Nope, it started forming plastic-like so I had a mess to remove.

I have to use a full can for this rim and use one more coat from a new can because i wasn't too happy with some lighter spot.

Oh well, this is only temporarily to see if I like black rim or not. If I do, then I'll get it painted professionally.

img3113jh.jpg

img3118o.jpg

Here is the coolant tank coated. This is only 2 coats also.

b020084d.jpg

A few more questions for ya source..... I am seriously realizing the potential this stuff has! Can you just hit paint with the glossifier and it peel up just as the colored plasti-dip?

YES, The glossifier comes off JUST like the regular plasti-dip. It is awesome. Perfect for DIY clear bra! ( same rule applys though. 4-5 good coats and it is easily removeable. )

Or do you have to lay down clear plasti-dip and then use the glossifier on top of that? Also could you paint on top of the plasti-dip.

Yes you can. BUT you have to make sure the dip coat is very thick. 4-5 solid coats minimum.

I would love to clear my entire car just to protect the original finish and keep it clear for a while. Then when winter rolls around do the entire car white and get my air brush on. Crazy graffiti and all the paint job craziness I could pull off, finish all that and clear it again. Until of course I get sick of it and just peel it all off and go back to my formula red!

Very cool. Yea the possibilities are endless!

Last question can you plasti-dip a few layers and then wait a few months or so and then add more too it and it all be one flat layer? or would the first layer cure together and the second together and them not bond as one.

Yes, it bonds to the original layer. And if you were to get a scratch in the dip and it peels you can go over that section only and it will bond evenly with the original coat.

^ did this on my iPhone, I will fix the quote and answers when I get to a PC.

Last edited:
Hi,

this solution looks awesome to test looks..

where can i get it ready to use and see a good bunch of available colors/finishs?

Thanks,
Nuno

img3113jh.jpg

img3118o.jpg

Before you do the remaining wheels, did you try peeling it off this one first? I ask because, I tried this stuff on something and while it certainly comes off, with complicated curves and a lot of lines (your wheels fall in the category), it doesn't come off easy and takes a lot of time. All the videos I see are simple wheels or body panels.

Back