• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Playing aroud with camera - Night Shots

I got my girlfriend's Canon Rebel with me, then I saw my video camera tripod in the garage, just couldn't help myself to play with the settings.

Professional photographers, please don't hesitate to speak your mind. I want to learn how to shoot better. Share some tips too. hehe.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Oh just found this too... Might as well add it.
06.jpg

Later

niM

it may be just me but i don't think that steering wheel belongs in an nsx:confused:
pics came out decent however and the car looks very clean!

it may be just me but i don't think that steering wheel belongs in an nsx:confused:
pics came out decent however and the car looks very clean!

+1. I don't mean to make you feel bad but man... Did that wheel come out of a 1980 Alfa Romeo?

Not bad at all. I have a canon rebel as well. What I would recommend is going to a more secluded place. The lighting in your photos is very intense. The light is almost white and you're right next to it. Trust me when I tell you that camera can see 3x as much as your naked eye can on a 30 second shutter.

A vacant parking lot with softer yellow lighting would be nice. You could even go to the middle of no where and have only the lighting of the moon to illuminate your car. Be creative. Night photography can be pretty fun too. The shutter is open for a very long time. Check this out. If I had my headlights on for this shot, it would be way over bright and probably produce glare. What I did instead was flash the brights for a split second. Creates a pretty cool effect:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/pinyix/IMG_0847.jpg

Also take note in that photo that it looks like the sun just set. It didn't. That was taken at 11pm. Thats light pollution. Its doing an excellent job at lighting my car. Heres another shot without my brights on. The only lighting is the light pollution and a flood light about 100 meters away:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/pinyix/IMG_0837.jpg

Now thats all nothing. This is REALLY cool. Its called light painting. You hold the shutter down as long as possible and use another light source to light only what you want. This youtube shows how its done:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CtMQtAz250c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CtMQtAz250c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I don't personally have many good night shots so take what I've showed you here and show up my pictures. Won't be that hard, you already have an NSX up on me.

the first & second shot look decent, just the location isn't right for a good background.

what kind of settings are you using: F stop, shutter, ISO speed?

Natural lighting is very important, so for long exposure night shots, try to find an evenly-lit parking lot and shoot there. Position the car so that it's lit up evenly would be best. Really avoid parking right under a light pole lol.

A few tips for car shoots:

camera position: as low as you can
zoom: it's nice to move far out and zoom in to get that blurry background
iso: as low as possible for long exposure shots to keep noise down
F stop: 3.5 - 4F is my fav.

here's a shot of nsxsupra's white car

IMG_5959.jpg

+1. I don't mean to make you feel bad but man... Did that wheel come out of a 1980 Alfa Romeo?

No man.. You didn't make me feel bad. This whole steering wheel set-up cost me $85, so good or bad comments about it doesn't bother me.. The steering wheel is pretty much free, I got it from a friend from his 86 corolla. Has the same design as Nardi wheels. Honestly, I actually thought it looked nice, I thought its something different, other than all black you know?? But I'm getting one soon from Philippines, may just get like the Momo type-R looking one.

niM

the first & second shot look decent, just the location isn't right for a good background.

what kind of settings are you using: F stop, shutter, ISO speed?

Natural lighting is very important, so for long exposure night shots, try to find an evenly-lit parking lot and shoot there. Position the car so that it's lit up evenly would be best. Really avoid parking right under a light pole lol.

A few tips for car shoots:

camera position: as low as you can
zoom: it's nice to move far out and zoom in to get that blurry background
iso: as low as possible for long exposure shots to keep noise down
F stop: 3.5 - 4F is my fav.

here's a shot of nsxsupra's white car

Thank you so much for the tip man. Just what I needed. I wasn't really planning on taking a picture, but my friend was taking a long time on the phone and got bored. haha.

To answer your technical questions.
F-Stop was at 5.4 - I think that's the widest I can go with the "stock" 55mm rebel lens.
Shutter speed is I think 10 secs (I was on aperture mode, so speed was automatic)
ISO: I set it at 800, I can go 1600, is that advisable?

Again, thank you for the tip, and Pinyix thank you also for your tip.

Hopefully next week I'll have some free time and actually find a spot to take better pictures.

niM

Thank you so much for the tip man. Just what I needed. I wasn't really planning on taking a picture, but my friend was taking a long time on the phone and got bored. haha.

To answer your technical questions.
F-Stop was at 5.4 - I think that's the widest I can go with the "stock" 55mm rebel lens.
Shutter speed is I think 10 secs (I was on aperture mode, so speed was automatic)
ISO: I set it at 800, I can go 1600, is that advisable?

Again, thank you for the tip, and Pinyix thank you also for your tip.

Hopefully next week I'll have some free time and actually find a spot to take better pictures.

niM

lol, ic, so it wasn't like a planned photo shoot. No problem, hope the info helps on your next photo shoot. By the way, on your iso settings, if you're going to put it on a tri-pod, then you should use iso 100 for the cleanest picture quality - just compensate with longer exposure time. Only use higher iso like 800-1600 if you have to hand hold the camera and there's not enough light. gl

lol, ic, so it wasn't like a planned photo shoot. No problem, hope the info helps on your next photo shoot. By the way, on your iso settings, if you're going to put it on a tri-pod, then you should use iso 100 for the cleanest picture quality - just compensate with longer exposure time. Only use higher iso like 800-1600 if you have to hand hold the camera and there's not enough light. gl

NICE!! Another tip.. Thank you. I thought that if its low-light, set the ISO up, doesn't matter if it was using a tripod or not. But it makes complete sense. No wonder my pics are noisy..

What about low-light (such as a wedding reception), but with an external flash? Do you up the ISO as well?

And question about focus too. haha. Sorry, hope you don't mind... During low-light conditions, extreme low-light to be exact, its impossible (atleast for me) to use both the manual and/or automatic focus of the camera. How do you help the camera to focus? What I did was I asked my friend to shine his cellphone in the spot I want focused (I know I know), set to automatic focus, push the shutter half-way til I hear the beep (camera focused), click back to manual, set the timer, and take the picture. Is that right in some ways?

Thanks again for your tips.

niM

NICE!! Another tip.. Thank you. I thought that if its low-light, set the ISO up, doesn't matter if it was using a tripod or not. But it makes complete sense. No wonder my pics are noisy..

What about low-light (such as a wedding reception), but with an external flash? Do you up the ISO as well?

And question about focus too. haha. Sorry, hope you don't mind... During low-light conditions, extreme low-light to be exact, its impossible (atleast for me) to use both the manual and/or automatic focus of the camera. How do you help the camera to focus? What I did was I asked my friend to shine his cellphone in the spot I want focused (I know I know), set to automatic focus, push the shutter half-way til I hear the beep (camera focused), click back to manual, set the timer, and take the picture. Is that right in some ways?

Thanks again for your tips.

niM

during night shots like weddings, restaurant, etc. with flash, I use iso 200-400 for the best balance in well exposure/low noise of the subject & background. Our Cmos produces clean pictures at those iso, so I recommend it during hand-held + flash situations. I use 400 if it's really dim, and 200 if it's decent lighting.

lol, I used to use that cell phone/light trick with my old compact cam, it worked well, just unprofessional haha. I dont know if your rebel has the focus assist flash function -- basically it flashes the flash until your camera is done with focus. I'm using a 30D with that function, so it does it all for me. But the way you're focusing with a cell phone, set the timer seems fine to me. You don't have to set to manual....just set the timer, half-press the shutter until you get a focus point (green light), then press shutter all the way. The camera would hold the last focus point.

If your camera doesn't have the focus-assist flash function, there's another way to help u focus and is very effective. Use a low-power laser pointer (like a keychain one) and shine it on your subject's stomach before you focus. The most effective laser pointers are the ones that can shine big shapes, like a flower/box/circle/heart etc. -- they wont blind people and really help your camera focus.

Also, it'll help you pinpoint your focus area more by selecting center spot focusing instead of using multiple-spot focus on your camera. Select the center focus point...it's the most sensitive focus sensor. Gl, feel free to ask if you have trouble

do you mind telling me where this is? it looks like a great place to take pics

it's a special place reserved for pro photographers only, amatures need not know.

lol just joking....it's located in southcoast shopping plaza. If you're in so-cal/orange county, take the 405 and exit bristol st.
by the way, the security people there, like with most places, get anoyed when you have too many friends/cars with you. So, go with as few cars as possible.

during night shots like weddings, restaurant, etc. with flash, I use iso 200-400 for the best balance in well exposure/low noise of the subject & background. Our Cmos produces clean pictures at those iso, so I recommend it during hand-held + flash situations. I use 400 if it's really dim, and 200 if it's decent lighting.

lol, I used to use that cell phone/light trick with my old compact cam, it worked well, just unprofessional haha. I dont know if your rebel has the focus assist flash function -- basically it flashes the flash until your camera is done with focus. I'm using a 30D with that function, so it does it all for me. But the way you're focusing with a cell phone, set the timer seems fine to me. You don't have to set to manual....just set the timer, half-press the shutter until you get a focus point (green light), then press shutter all the way. The camera would hold the last focus point.

If your camera doesn't have the focus-assist flash function, there's another way to help u focus and is very effective. Use a low-power laser pointer (like a keychain one) and shine it on your subject's stomach before you focus. The most effective laser pointers are the ones that can shine big shapes, like a flower/box/circle/heart etc. -- they wont blind people and really help your camera focus.

Also, it'll help you pinpoint your focus area more by selecting center spot focusing instead of using multiple-spot focus on your camera. Select the center focus point...it's the most sensitive focus sensor. Gl, feel free to ask if you have trouble

Tenac1ousZ, thanks again for the tips. These are amazing tips you just shared and I can't wait to try it out. I think I have those laser pointer thinggy, I'll try that.. hahaha.. But XTIs have the "focus-Assist Flash function", I'll try that first see how good it works.

I'm gonna go to a wedding in 4 weeks, so I can try your tips on indoor photography too.

Because of this thread, I spent a great deal of my time reading again about photography yesterday, specifically about shooting cars, portraits, and lenses. I found out that the kit lens (the lens that came with my camera) are pretty much junk.

So I want to order a nice lens, looking at this.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...15&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I figured, f-stop of 3.5 should be fast enough, and 28-135mm just enough to get extra close to my subject. What do you think though? Good lens? Don't want to spend a fortune.

Thank you again man.

niM

That Type-R shot is SEXY! Thank you for posting -- is there a nicer resolution version?

<B>nimdivino</B> : Night shots are always more difficult ... for some reason i've always had problems shooting at night (despite reading lots of tips). Your Interior shots are particularly good in my opinion -- dark & moody but you can still see some detail. Nice work.

Tenac1ousZ, thanks again for the tips. These are amazing tips you just shared and I can't wait to try it out. I think I have those laser pointer thinggy, I'll try that.. hahaha.. But XTIs have the "focus-Assist Flash function", I'll try that first see how good it works.

I'm gonna go to a wedding in 4 weeks, so I can try your tips on indoor photography too.

Because of this thread, I spent a great deal of my time reading again about photography yesterday, specifically about shooting cars, portraits, and lenses. I found out that the kit lens (the lens that came with my camera) are pretty much junk.

So I want to order a nice lens, looking at this.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...15&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

I figured, f-stop of 3.5 should be fast enough, and 28-135mm just enough to get extra close to my subject. What do you think though? Good lens? Don't want to spend a fortune.

Thank you again man.

niM

hey, np, glad it was useful. About the lens, yeah, the stock one is pretty much junk :biggrin:. That XTi is a pretty good camera that deserves a better lens. I was looking at the 28-135mm while lens shopping, and it's pretty good glass. The drawback is it's not wide enough when used with the XTi's 1.6 crop censor, which equals to something like 44-216mm. You should look into the EF-S lenses, which have good quality glass similar to L lenses, but for much less, in the $400-600 price range. Note that EF-S are only for the Rebels & 20-30D cams....

here's a good lens: http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CN1785IS

useful links:

lens review - http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/

good seller (where I got my gear) - buydig.com

other canon lenses: http://search.buydig.com/q-lens/a-S...181/a-Canon-7590/ps-12/v-list/p-BD/search.htm

That Type-R shot is SEXY! Thank you for posting -- is there a nicer resolution version?

You welcome. Yup, that white NSX is very nicely modified. Here's a higher-res pix (photo bucket wont allow full-res though)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w17/Tenac1ousZ/Car Photoshoot/IMG_5959-1.jpg

Tenac1ousZ,
Thanks again man.. That lens you recommend is available at costco, I'll order that soon..

thank you

niM

No man.. You didn't make me feel bad. This whole steering wheel set-up cost me $85, so good or bad comments about it doesn't bother me.. The steering wheel is pretty much free, I got it from a friend from his 86 corolla. Has the same design as Nardi wheels. Honestly, I actually thought it looked nice, I thought its something different, other than all black you know?? But I'm getting one soon from Philippines, may just get like the Momo type-R looking one.

niM

Yea, I pretty much gave him that steering wheel. Its not an official Nardi, just something I had laying around off brand. Nardo I call it. Feels GREAT compared to the stock one and the MOMO button looks a lot better than the TOM'S TOYOTA RACING I had on before....... :D
thanks for letting me borrow your car, Nim. I was the coolest kid on the block

Actually the blur is caused by aperture being wide open. Blur or the correct photography term is Bokeh.

As for the most reputable camera store online, professional photogs and the likes go to :

www.bhphoto.com
www.adorama.com
www.keh.com (for used cameras)

Also the onboard focus assists, causes people to mistake it for the flash. Practice manual focusing.

If you have an external flash, it will emit a red beam which is easier on people's eyes.

Actually the blur is caused by aperture being wide open. Blur or the correct photography term is Bokeh.

As for the most reputable camera store online, professional photogs and the likes go to :

www.bhphoto.com
www.adorama.com
www.keh.com (for used cameras)

Also the onboard focus assists, causes people to mistake it for the flash. Practice manual focusing.

If you have an external flash, it will emit a red beam which is easier on people's eyes.

yeah, I think most who have taken a basic photo class would know Bokeh is acheived by a wide-opened apperture. But when the original posters lens only opens at F 3.5, the other way to add more blur to the background would be to move far out and zoom in. It also creates compression, which looks nice on car shots too.

The on-board focus-assist stropes do cause people to mistake it for the main flash, but it works really well, so you have to be fast with it. Manual focus is really worthless with the rebel's tiny view finder during dark situations. For most users, if your camera has the function, focus-assist works too well to not use

But when the original posters lens only opens at F 3.5, the other way to add more blur to the background would be to move far out and zoom in. It also creates compression, which looks nice on car shots too.

The on-board focus-assist stropes do cause people to mistake it for the main flash, but it works really well, so you have to be fast with it. Manual focus is really worthless with the rebel's tiny view finder during dark situations. For most users, if your camera has the function, focus-assist works too well to not use

Hmmmm... So do I zoom out, use the focus-assist, then zoom-in?? Is that how it works? Wouldn't you loose the focus when you zoom in?

PS: I bought the 17-85 mm lens, taking shots again this weekend and comparison too with the stock lens. Now I want a speedlite.. =)

niM

Back