• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please help!!! Car won't start after long sleep

RyRy210 said:
Jagtiger, your comments are scaring me as I've just started using an on-board battery manager. The battery is still connected to the car.

Has anyone else used an on-board battery manager and have problems?

My unsterstanding is an onboard tender does not charge, just eliminates a discharge. And H gas is extremely explosive. Just look what it did to this poor vehicle!
3.jpg

All because he tried to charge the battery while still in the vehicle.:D

jagtiger said:
A friend of mine got two of his cars stolen inside his garage. Yes, both cars has alarms. That's why I have full ins. coverage even during winter.
There is absolutely no need for full insurance coverage during winter, if the car is never going to leave the garage. The thing to do is to "withdraw the car from service". This suspends your liability coverage (for damage your car causes to others while it is being driven) and your collision coverage (for damage your car sustains when hitting anything while it is being driven). If done properly, your comprehensive coverage, which protects the value of your car against theft, vandalism, fire, etc, even when it is not being driven, remains intact. Doing this will cut your premiums by perhaps 80 percent (yes, making them one fifth the amount the rest of the year) while retaining the coverage you need.

Originally posted by RyRy210
your comments are scaring me as I've just started using an on-board battery manager. The battery is still connected to the car.

Has anyone else used an on-board battery manager and have problems?
I have been using an on-board automatic battery charger for eleven winters with zero problems.

Originally posted by Juice
What if the car has sat all winter without fuel stabilizer?
Drive it.

I have never used a fuel stabilizer, and have not had any fuel-related problems. That being said, it's probably not a bad idea. The most popular brand is Sta-Bil and it should be easy to find at your local auto parts or hardware store.

What type of actions should be taken?
Drive the car.

how should the oil be looked at?
I get the oil changed when I bring the car out first thing in the spring.

Ok I went out today and bought an Optima battery from Pep Boys. It was $109.00....ouch. I figured since I just bought a new car the NSX was jealous and needed a nice present so I went with the expensive battery. Since I have never changed the battery I am a little worried about messing something up but since there are only too wires how much damage can I really do :). Do you North Eastern guys have this problem alot? My garage is unheated and it has been a really brutal winter in PA so far. You guys who live in warmer climates have no idea how lucky you are!

I have not tried charging the battery but since I believe it is the stock battery I think the switch out is the best move. I had been trying to jump the car through the fuse box like the manual states.

I really hope I can get this puppy working tonight since I am dying to take it out. After driving big SUV's all winter long I can't wait to get in that snug cabin, pop in some Dead, and crusie tonight! PLEASE PLEASE WORK!

After I went through one battery the first winter I owned the car I will never let it sit without a trickle charge on it anymore. I just fired mine up this week after it sat for three months and it turned over like it had a new battery in it. ;)

nsxtasy said:
There is absolutely no need for full insurance coverage during winter, if the car is never going to leave the garage. The thing to do is to "withdraw the car from service". This suspends your liability coverage (for damage your car causes to others while it is being driven) and your collision coverage (for damage your car sustains when hitting anything while it is being driven). If done properly, your comprehensive coverage, which protects the value of your car against theft, vandalism, fire, etc, even when it is not being driven, remains intact. Doing this will cut your premiums by perhaps 80 percent (yes, making them one fifth the amount the rest of the year) while retaining the coverage you need.

What a fantastic idea. I have never even thought of that before, but I always have to sneak it out every once in a while on a dry day even if it is a little colder, so that probably wouldn't work for me. For some strange reason, it was sunny and 63 degrees here when it is usually 20.

Chicago winters are a little rougher than here I guess.

plesset said:
Does anyone here have any suggestions before I hand over my wallet to the dealer?

I have always had good luck with Optima Batteries. Anyone every used those? I hear that SOS was working on some kind of special bracket for use in the NSX? Anyway, Optima batteries are the best by a long shot. I also make it a point to at least start and warm up my car every 2 weeks even if I don't pull it out of the garage. It starts everytime.

plesset said:
I had been trying to jump the car through the fuse box like the manual states.

How about the size of the jumper cables? Are they big beefy ones, or little wimpy ones? I tried to jump start mine one time with little wimpy cables and all it did was click, click click... We switched to some real cables and it fired up no prob.

DanO

jlindy said:
What a fantastic idea. I have never even thought of that before, but I always have to sneak it out every once in a while on a dry day even if it is a little colder, so that probably wouldn't work for me.
If it works for you, you may want to discuss it with your insurance agent. One agent told me that he has customers who do this, but when there's a nice day in January, they want to reinstate their coverage just for the day, and he is happy to arrange this. It's worth looking into if the car is going to sit all winter with the possibility of only one or two exceptions when you could arrange for coverage.

SUCCESS!!! Got home pretty late from work so I had to wake up early this moring to install the Optima. I hooked up the battery and the car started up with no problems. My only issue though is that the battery connections do no tighten up enough to insure that they will not slip off the terminal. Does anyone know if there is some kind of spacer that slips onto the terminals to make the fit a bit more snug? Also. the Optima battery is a bit smaller than the stock battery. Should I be concerned that is might slide around a bit inside the battery box?

How about the size of the jumper cables? Are they big beefy ones, or little wimpy ones? I tried to jump start mine one time with little wimpy cables and all it did was click, click click... We switched to some real cables and it fired up no prob.

I was using the little wimpy ones when first trying to jump the car. I am going to go out an get a pair of beefy ones for the future...thanks for the tip.

My only issue though is that the battery connections do no tighten up enough to insure that they will not slip off the terminal.

My dads van had this problem - what we need was removed the battery connection and hit it on its side with a hammer or use a pair of pilers. It flatten out a little bit a we were able to tighten it. A better solution would to buy new connectors.

Back