• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PLEASE HELP - MY 3 choices in front/rear tires for 17/18 tecno setup. Experts!

I apologize for writing a book below, but i am really having trouble deciding what is the best way to go with tire sizes. I really want to put my thoughts down and have you review the choices as i see them (given what i am trying to do) and then please offer me your advise.
everyone but the forum nazi can skip the second paragraph

(For the forum nazi, I have consulted the tire and wheel tech and the search and i have spoken to a some people,now i am looking for advise from the people who actually have tried this.)

My car is a 1997 T with the stock 16/17 setup. With the stock bridgestons the front tire has a diameter of 23.6". The rear tire has a diameter of 24.7

I am installing tecno wheels that are 17 X 8 (+40) in the front and 18*10 (+45) in the rear.

I am debating between three tire choices

(A) TIRE COMBO #1
S02's with a size of 225/35/17 (this would be a diameter of 23.2 (or about 1/2 inch less then stock).
The rear tire would be an S02 with a size of 285/30 18 (this would be a diameter of 24.73 or roughly the same as stock).

POINTS on this combo
(1) The s02's are discountinued... I have found one set of fronts in the size i mention above, and the only available size in an so2 to go with this (for the rear) is the 285/30/18.
(2) I really don't like the fact that my front diameter will be smaller b/c it puts the front of the car that much closer to the ground (i would prefer a 225/40.. but that is not a choice)
(3)I am a little nervous about sidewall size as my front sidewall will be 3.1 inches (versus 3.8 stock) and the rear sidewall will be 3.36 (versus 3.8 stock).. i am nervous not b/c of fear of hitting a pothole and hurting the rim, the roads are really great where i drive and no potholes, i am concerned about the ride quality of the car. anyone with these sizes, is the ride that much different?

TIRE COMBO #2
goodyear G3D3 in the following sizes
front would be 235/40/17 .. this nets a diameter of 24.4" (which is .8" bigger diameter then stock) The sidewall for this would be 3.7 inches (versus 3.8 stock) and the rear size would be 275/35/18 (diameter is 25.5 or 3/4" bigger then stock and the sidewall would be 3.78" (or just a tad smaller then the stock 3.8)NOTES on this combo
(1) i like the fact that i would have a 235 in the front. For future big brakes this would allow more braking power to get to the ground and this is not too drastically smaller then the rear 275 size.
(2) i am scared that the front tire might rub, this is why i am looking at the goodyears. I really like the S03's but i am told by tire rackthat the S03 diameter is a tenth of an inch larger and their width is 2 tenths of an inch wider (24.4 verus 24.5 and 9.5" versus 9.7") With my +40 offset 17*8 tecno will 235/40 work? is anybody running this with no problems?
(3) I really like the size of the sidewalls of this tire combo, i think in theory this should allow for a better ride. and in theory this is a good front / rear width.. however sidewalls and width combos wont mean that much is this thing rubs all the time in the front.

C)Combo 3 would be a 215/40/17 so3 in the front and a 285 30/18 s03 in the rear. The problem with this combo is the front tire is a litte small compared to the rear, and i have those small sidwalls both front and rear.

So in summary, i am having a hard time with the fact that combo A would not rub, but has less than ideal sidewall, the front tire is smaller then stock (diameter) and you have a big difference in front and rear widths.

Combo B) assuming it does not rub would appear to be the best, as you get the wide tire in front, not too much differene in front and rear sizes and you have almost the stock amount of sidewall.

ComboC) has the perfect (stock size front) which is too narrow to take advantage of a big brake kit, and is too much skinnier then the rear. With this combo the front and rear tires have a 3.38" sidewall (front this sidewall is what 2002+ nsx's have stock) but i question the rear sidewall being small considering all that 58% of weight in the rear.

Also i do plan on lowering the car about 1.25" via coilover or bilsten / eibach (undecided)

Questions:
(1)For those of you with experience with 17 /18 setups and wheels with roughly the same offsets, which way should i go?
(2) any other advise., Am i missing something?
(3) for combo B) do people really think the goodyears run small/ is this enough difference to make a difference or should i go with combo A or bridgestone s-03's in combo b sizes b/c this is not enough smalller to make a difference.

Thanks

tom

I recommend 215/40-17 in the front - anything wider/larger will have a good chance of rubbing the fender well liners.

I recommend 255/35-18 or 265/35-18 in the rear. This will be a good match for the TCS and, as you mention, keeps the "stagger" (difference in treadwidth front vs rear) closer to the stock 30 mm.

Both of these sizes are available for either the Bridgestone Potenza S-03 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 (which is what I assume you meant when you said G3D3). Both are excellent tires; for a comparison between the two, see this topic as well as the reviews on the Tire Rack website.

I would also recommend against getting any tire that has been discontinued. When one pair wears out, you will then be stuck buying a set of four so that you don't have mismatched tires...

Ken,

Thanks... right now I am leaning towards 215/40/17 in the front and 275/35/18 rear. (using s-03's)

What do you think of this combo. (i just can't put a 255 or 265 on a 10 inch wide wheel)... but i am also concerned with stagger. Comments??Do you think i will have tcs problems with this setup??

Anyone else have comments or suggestions?? I would love for someone to tell me a 225 40 17 tire to use OR to tell me that 235/40 /17 will work with my offset (+40 17X8

Thanks

97CTSC said:
right now I am leaning towards 215/40/17 in the front and 275/35/18 rear. (using s-03's)

What do you think of this combo.
I think the 275 is okay, but I think the 265 is better, for TCS reasons (more about that in a moment).

97CTSC said:
(i just can't put a 255 or 265 on a 10 inch wide wheel)
Good point for the 255, which has approved rim width of 8.5-10.0, so you could do it, but it would be stretching it a bit (literally ;) ). The 265 should be fine on a 10 (approved width is 9.0-10.5).

97CTSC said:
but i am also concerned with stagger. Comments??Do you think i will have tcs problems with this setup??
265 means 50 mm of stagger. I think that would be okay, but I don't think I would go with 275, which means 60 mm.

As for the TCS, the outer diameter of the 215/40-17 is 0.65 percent larger than stock, so that is your "target" for the increase in outer diameter in the rear for the TCS to work. The rule of thumb is that you need to keep the front-to-rear ratio within 5 percent of stock; in this example, the percentage increase in the rear should be within 5 percent of your 0.65 increase in the front. However, that 5 percent threshold is high, IMO, because you have other variables; for example, the difference in outer diameter between a new tire and one that's worn down to the treadwear indicator bars is about 2 percent. So I like to keep the TCS threshold at 3 percent, rather than 5 percent. That means that your rear outer diameter would be no more than 3.65 percent larger than stock. The 275/35-18 is 3.49 percent larger than stock, so the TCS should work (although it's close). By comparison, the 265/35-18 is 2.37 percent larger than stock.

For street consider the Falkin Betas; they come in the right sizes and seem reasonable wrt wear and preformance.

Falken GR Beta FK-451
225/35ZR-17 82Y B (28669)
UTQG: 280AA
Exotic looks, style and performance.
$113.00

:cool:

I have run so2s 235/40/17-285/35/18 on tecno's and am currently running 235/40/17-275/35/18 so3s , you will get a little rubbing up front with the 235's on full lock , no big deal. when I had the so2s, my rear wore out first so I even tried 295/35/18s for a while.they rubbed a little when you hit a bump, they had so much grip I got a lot of push. My current 235-275 so3s seem to work great.and no problem with tcs

I've had Tecnos on my car so let me offer my advice. I'd get the 225/35 front and 285/30 rear in the Falken Beta available from Dali, or hopefully anyone else who sells Falken tires, and you can't beat the price!

On my car I had the 225/35 and it never rubbed, and I was lowered with H&R's. On the rear I had 275/35 and the profile didn't match the fronts, it was too high IMO. I didn't have a choice back then as the maker of the tires (Pirelli) didn't have a 285/30 for that particular model so I got the 275/35 thinking it would look ok. It did but it wasn't perfect like how I hoped it to be.

If I do it again I'll get the 225/35 front and 285/30 rear.

In the "NSX for sale" section there's a twin turbo NSX (red) that has this setup and the profile/height of the tires match perfectly!

Back