• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please help with NSX Purchase Advice

Considering the purchase of a used, but new to me, automobile and the NSX is one that I'm considering. (others are BMW M Coupe, '95 Porsche 911, newer C5 Corvette)

Given my budget of low 30k's I'm probably looking at an early 90's NSX. What problems, if any, can I expect with this type of vehicle and what kind of repair prices would you be looking at? Also, the car will be a daily driver and I don't plan on tracking it. What kind of performance do these cars provide, 0-60 times, high rpm's to get to horsepower, etc?

I'm currently considering a '91 NSX with 35k miles. The timing belt, water pump, drive belts, and window tabs have already been replaced. What's with the snap ring replacement? I've read where some Acura dealerships will absorb the cost of replacing it, true?

Well, thanks for any information and/or additional persuasion that you can provide. I'm alittle leary paying so much for a car that's going on 14 years old, but the styling is still fantastic.

Thanks again.

A few things just off the top of my head that I learned from buying my car 2 months ago:
1. check the AC fan/blower.
Make sure it works in all speed from min to max. There has been lots of reports that it only worked on max speed.
2. check the security system.
Make sure that it worked properly and doesn't come on unexpectedly.
3. check for rock chips at the front end.
4. check for paint chips and dents THROUGHOUT the body.
5. check to make sure the toolkit and spare tire air compressor are in the trunk.

6. check the cd changer (if it comes with the car) to see if it will play CD-R/CD-RW or MP3.

The first thing you should do is read through the FAQ section under sell, ship, buy, sell. There is a lot of helpful information there. As for the snap ring questions, you can also find out all you want to know about the snap ring in the FAQ. Acura dealerships are no longer offering any help on repairing the snap ring issue.

HTH

Heather

Thanks for the responses everyone . . . good stuff. Please keep them coming. The more positive feedback I can provide my wife the better.

Also, are these vehicles expensive to maintain annually? Are repair/maintenance costs similar to what the German cars (Porsche, Audi, etc.) would command or more reasonable?

Thanks again everyone.

I think timing belt/water pump change costs about $1300. The stock tires shoud cost between $200-$250 each. Haven't done my brakes yet, so don't know how much. Oil change at the dealer is about $35 (don't let other dealers rip you off with $65).

mskaug said:
Also, are these vehicles expensive to maintain annually?
mskaug,

It's easy to find the answers to all the questions you are asking! You see that red bar at the top of your screen, the one that looks like this?

navbar.gif

Click on where it says "NSX FAQ". This is where you can look up the answers to Frequently Asked Questions. As TucAZNSX mentioned, there's a section on "Buy, Sell" for information about inspections for purchase. If you want 0-60 and other performance statistics, just click on the Technical button to find the Performance section. When you want to know about maintenance, click on the Maintenance button, and you'll find sections on Schedule and Costs. You should be able to find pretty much all the information you're looking for without even having to ask the question! So get familiar with the FAQ - you'll really appreciate what's already out there!

mskaug said:
Are repair/maintenance costs similar to what the German cars (Porsche, Audi, etc.) would command or more reasonable?
Maintenance costs tend to be much more reasonable than the German makes. However, some repairs can still be fairly pricey (notably A/C repairs).

I considered the C5 in my decision process as well. I started frequenting corvetteforum.com and found the C5's have several problems i don't think i could tolerate. Such as: oil consumpion problem(many C5's needed ring replacment... u had to get the car tested and more than a quart per 1000 miles failed!), driver seat "rocks" due to plastic seat rails, numerous electrical gremlins, leaky roof, etc.

After owning 3 other trouble free honda's, the choice was clear. Besides that the NSX just plain looks better!

Porsche makes a well built car, but doesn't look as exotic as the nsx. I wouldn't even consider the bimmer.

Good luck

The reliability, look and quality of the NSX is second to none you will see on the road, except for the look part, when a F355 or 360 roll by.

Thank you everyone. Your input along with the other resources this forum has to offer are greatly influencing my considerations of purchasing an NSX.

Anyone know of any excellent NSX's out there that could be purchased in the $30k range?

There are bound to be plenty of NSXs in the $30k range. Finding one in great shape for that price is another issue. If you are flexible with color selection, price etc. you can find one fairly easily on this forum (simply look under NSXs for sale) as well as Auto Trader online. If you still need more choices, you might try looking at the bigger city newspapers classified sections. Go to Borders or Barnes and Noble, they should have the Sunday papers of most major cities. Additionally, you might want to contact Mark B. and see if he knows of anyone looking to sell since he services so many he may be able to point you the way, and if he has serviced the car, he would be able to tell you of any potential mechanical concerns. If you end up finding one out of your area (I don't remember you indicating where you are), contact a NSXCA member in the area where the car is and ask if they or someone close by would be able to take the time to look at the car. Most of the time you will be able to find someone who would be happy to oblige. If you are really serious about the NSX, find out where the local chapter meets and attend a monthly dinner to meet your new family/support group. Or as some may look at it: you think you are just buying a car, but you will discover you have joined a cult.
Good Luck

All of brickdds's advice is very good. One additional note:

brickdds said:
If you still need more choices, you might try looking at the bigger city newspapers classified sections. Go to Borders or Barnes and Noble, they should have the Sunday papers of most major cities.
You shouldn't need to find a newspaper in person. Virtually every major newspaper has a website in which anyone can access its classified ads without charge.

You can find links to most city papers on http://www.newspapers.com/

Note - Some of the major papers have their ads listed on major sites like cars.com so you would be seeing them anyway, just by going into cars.com

Regarding the newspaper search, I think cars.com pulls ads from all the major newspapers nationwide.
The greatest number of for sale ads is usually in traderonline.com.

Doug said:
Regarding the newspaper search, I think cars.com pulls ads from all the major newspapers nationwide.
No, it doesn't. cars.com only displays ads for those newspapers who have contracted with cars.com for them (cars.com) to power their (the newspapers') classifieds listings. For example, the Chicago Tribune auto ads are powered by cars.com, but those in the Chicago Sun-Times are not. cars.com powers car ads in the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post, but not those in the New York Times or the New York Daily News.

Doug said:
The greatest number of for sale ads is usually in traderonline.com.
Autotrader (same thing) has the greatest number of ads for cars for sale by dealers but I'm not sure if they have the most for sale by private parties; I wouldn't be surprised if there are more for sale by private parties in cars.com Of course, it's easy enough to check both.

Or you can try finding your NSX on Ebay. I know, Ebay doesn't sound like a good place to look for an NSX but that's where I got my X. Been happy so far. I tried everything else before that. Sometimes the car you're looking for is not where you expected to find. That's life or one good part of life. Good luck.

Good stuff everyone!!! Thank you for the great advice. I now have a listing of sources I can check in order to find the perfect NSX. Now if only my tireless 16 mo. old would grant me more than 2 minutes of internet access I'd be set.

Thanks again all.

Back