• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Popping/Creaking Noise

I just bought my 94 and I started hearing what sounded like a creaking coming from behind the passenger seat at slow speeds. My dealer said it was caused by an air pocket between the welds of the aluminum. Anyone ever have this problem? He said they could fix it. I don't know how much it will cost though. I am bringing it in for an estimate this week.

Thats a new one. I would take it to a different dealership if I was you. The dealer cant weld aluminum I dont know how they are planing to fix it. Is it doing it when you hit a bump?

The dealer said they just have to insulate it a little more. It happens when the car is starting off from a stop. It kind of sounds like an old C4 corvette creaking if you have ever drivven one. The tended to start to creak over time.

My 13-year old 1991 coupe with 90,000+ miles does not creak. Maybe try another dealer, or go to an NSX club meeting and have someone else listen to your car.

I am not buying that explanation at all unless there is some accident damage. It is a pretty active group of NSXers here in MA. Show up for something and I am sure someone will be able to help you out. Where in MA are you? If you are local to me, I would be happy to take a look.

Could it be that the passenger seat is loose, or even the rear interior panel. There is no way that there is a "air pocket between the welds". That stealership is way out in left field. I'm sure if you do a little snooping around that you'll find th source of the sound.

I recently discovered a rattle in my NSX and it ended up being the loose change in the coin holder rubbing against my cell phone. I wonder how much your stealership would have charged for looking into that for me.

JPS Europa,
I am in Holyoke, MA. (Western MA) I am in the process of joining the Northeast Region NSXCA. Are you a member? Where is Duxbury? I brought it to Acura of Auburn. They are going to look at it on Thursday for me. Are you far from Sturbridge or Auburn? If not maybe I could meet you there and you could take a look for me if you wanted to. I am all alone as far as an NSX owners in Western MA. I am the only one. My car in in Mint condition except for this noise. It has had all the major services done to it. (new AC system, timing belt, water pump, new clutch, tires, brakes etc. ) I just want to get rid of the darn creaking. :mad:

Duxbury is all the way on the coast just north of Plymouth. Probably too far for you to drive, but the offer still stands. Sturbridge is 100 miles from me. I have not yet joined NSXCA, but I will as soon as I have to buy something expensive. I have to be able to justify to the wife why I need to belong to 2 car clubs (already in the Lotus club). Sound really travels in aluminum which makes this stuff hard to find sometimes. See if you can force the car to make the sound when stationary...bouncing, torquing it up with the brakes on, driving one wheel over a block of wood. If you have an assistant outside the car, they can help narrow down the location. If you get close, grab a stethoscope or a piece of metal tubing. Look for loose or rubbing items in the engine room. You had all the maintainence done, so all kinds of stuff was apart. Could even be a loose or misaligned motor mount. See Larry B's comment the other day regarding a "rod knock" sort of noise.

A air pocket in your pocket is what you'll get if you go with the dealer.
This is a silly diagnosis.
I'd look at the seat and rear panels too as suggested.
Try moving your seat a little ahead and see if it stays.

try a passenger

Do you have the noise when there is a passenger? My whole 71 240Z made noise after my first trip new when I bought it years ago--everything rattled but not the passenger seat when I had a passenger. That would at least possibly rule out the seat--also the passenger may be to locate the problem easier.....

Back