• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche 911 C4S as a daily driver?

I have been thinking about getting a 911 C4S as a daily driver. I would like to hear some advice from fellow primers as I have no experience with the 911. It has been one of my bucket list cars for a long time. I was thinking about a 2007-2009 as the prices would be much more reasonable. Are there any issues I need to watch out for? I realize this is a NSX forum, but I was hoping that a few primers out there may own or have owned both to give me an idea how the two cars compare. I have a 2005 Silverstone with 13k miles and I can't bring myself to using it as a daily driver (it is too freakin perfect). I know I would worry about some careless driver in a beat up minivan opening their door into my baby. With a less than perfect used 911, I think I would be more comfortable driving it every day. Any advice would be appreciated.

I know many people who do quite well. A 911 is my second choice at the moment (as I can't find an ontario 02+ NSX) and I've researched many and all people have said, they make great daily drivers all year round. Not as good as an NSX on gas, but liveable. You may want to look up "myw" or "biobanker" as they have 911's and are on this forum and have great things to say about their 911's. If I should settle for one, I would be daily driving it 100%. That's what they are made for. But make sure you do your due diligence on a good PPI and have a mechanic look it over as its still a car that is around 6-7 years old.

Excellent choice. I have a C2S 997 I have driven it for commuting and it is very comfortable. The PDK is an excellent highway cruising transmission, finds top gear quickly and cruises at low rpm. But you need to hit the sport button to make it shift with any performance feel. Changes character of the car totally.

For resale more than actual hassle reasons, get a 2009+ after they had resolved the seal issues. I think that's the year but double check (does not apply to GT series 911's who during that generation used a racing derived engine).

Owing a P-car has always been on my bucket list. IMS/RMS issues have kept me from following through so far. I had no idea they weren't as fuel efficient as the NSX though.

Right now I think my ideal car would be a 2009 997.2 C4S cabriolet with white exterior and black interior. To me this seems like the sweet spot for price/value. I have seen a few online and think it is a clean , classy, and badass look. All wheel drive for bad weather and top down fun in the summer. Just starting to investigate what something like that should sell for . Did all of the IMS/RMS issues get resolved with the 2009 997.2 cars? I am not sure, but I thought the 2009+ cars did not have this issue. Any Porsche experts care to give me a ballpark as to what a clean example should sell for? As for fuel efficiency, not a big concern, but the 2009 cars are actually fairly good on gas with high twenties highway mileage.

...as well as 996 Turbos...

996 turbo/997 turbo no ims issues totally diff engine design then the n/a 911s

with 997 however only 2009+ 997.2 has no ims issues as its a completely diff engine as well. not to mention the car has been updated to look newer/better (diff front and rear bumpers, front/rear LEDS, update nav etc etc).

with that said however the issue has been blown out of proportion imo, but it seems to me that all the diff issues/iterations of 911 have issues someway or another.... these simply are not jap cars.

personally i coludnt see myself driving a 911 during the winter, but a c4s being awd and snow tires should be fine provided the snow isnt too high. while the car is no nsx, its still quite low to the ground.

I believe that the 997.2 engine design did finally eliminate the IMS problem.

Brian

I have a 4 wheel drive truck for the few days a year when we get any real measurable snow here in Cincinnati. I was wanting a daily driver that I could drive all but a few days a year. I have a twenty minute drive each way to work. For probably 355 of 365 days a year, I think a c4s would be an awesome daily driver. It would make me look forward to the drive to and from work.

Back