• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche Cayman and Audi R8

I've been reading about these two here on Prime.

Can someone tell me why the Cayman has what seems like a bad rep? It seems people aren't really into the car. Ski_ Banker even said something to the effect that it is basically someone wanting a Porsche that can't afford a 911 (don't we already have that with the Boxster?). Anyway, I like the car for what it is... To me, it just seems like Porsche has expanded its lineup to spread the brand, and make more money. Nothing really different that what Mercedes has done???

As for the R8, if it is going to cost $40K more than the Cayman, not so sure it would be worth the extra cash. V10 vs. V6, etc, but if performance is going to be comparable, that is A LOT of extra money. What is the mentality here? That a true Audi sports car is 'exclusive', where the Cayman is just another cheap ripoff of the 911?

I figure if you can afford $100K without regret, you can probably afford twice that? Why not go for a higher end automobile? Maybe I'm wrong, but if someone could barely afford $100K on a car, why would he/she spend it? Barely being able to afford $100K for a car is very different than squeezing by like the masses, who struggle with a $20K note.

They are both mid engine rear wheel drive cars, that's the only intercommunity. Performance wise.. flat6 245hp@1340kg vs. v8 420hp@1560+quattro isn't fair comparing.

Actually I think 104k is a great price for what the R8 is offering. If I look at the cars it's aiming at 104k is a great deal.

Porsche will not let any of its sporstcars supersede the 911 (except, of course, the GT). In that respect, the Cayman will always be positioned as a lesser car. It will never have more HP than the 911, and it's price-point will be lower. It is your basic "entry-level" P-car.

But IMO, it it better looking than the 911.

It seems a bunch of NSX owners here don't appreciate Porsches.

The $59,XXX Cayman S has 295HP and does 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. The absolute base 911 is $72,XXX and delivers 325HP and does 0-60 in 4.8 sec. Many reviews have the Cayman handling better than the 911. I wouldn't call a Cayman buyer a poor guy who can't afford the real thing... I'd call a Cayman buyer a guy who didn't think two mini-seats and 0.3 seconds was worth $12,000. It is a two-seater, midengined coupe with more power than the newest NSX. It has stellar reviews. It's a great car. Don't let the bias fool you.

R8: Maybe someone buying the R8 wants the R8? Who cares if he/she can afford a 430. I'd take an R8 over a 430. The Ferrari isn't my style... I'd wanna drive the car, not have to let it sit all the time. The only car I'd take over the R8 is maybe an Aston DB9 or a Gallardo. Even if I had $500,000 to spend - it doesn't mean you will just buy the most expensive thing you see. Sure some do - but that's how you become a broke millionaire. The R8 is basically the Audi NSX. It is what Acura should have built.

Can someone tell me why the Cayman has what seems like a bad rep? .

I can't.

Having put more than a thousand miles on a 2006 Cayman S, I am a big proponent of the vehicle. It's a real sports car in every sense of the word and a fantastic machine.

There are a lot of Porschephiles that feel the 911 is the only "real" P-car but many of them also said that "real" Porsches were air cooled too.

My only dig on the Cayman S is that Porsche is asking a grip of money for them. Why they ask more for the hardtop than the convertible Boxster S (esp. since they now share the same drivetrain) is a mystery to me.

Asthetically, I also like the Cayman better. And the whole idea that it is NOT a 911, doesn't really mean as much to me as it does to others. I am surprised that people don't have the same views about the 'regular' 911 vs. owing a 911 Turbo, which is the only one I'd really ever be interested in. Guess I'm just surprised the Cayman doesn't get more credit.

My only dig on the Cayman S is that Porsche is asking a grip of money for them. Why they ask more for the hardtop than the convertible Boxster S (esp. since they now share the same drivetrain) is a mystery to me.

Totally agreed, I would think that if Porsche would tag the Caymen as a hardtop street legal racer.. call it something like a Boxter GT3?? much like what an exige to elise.... The Caymen would probably get more credit.

I can't.

There are a lot of Porschephiles that feel the 911 is the only "real" P-car but many of them also said that "real" Porsches were air cooled too.

Because it's true - real Porsches are air cooled! The last real 911 was made in 1998. The resale value of 97-98 993s are higher than most of the 996s that followed.

Because it's true - real Porsches are air cooled! The last real 911 was made in 1998. The resale value of 97-98 993s are higher than most of the 996s that followed.

I've been lucky enough to drive several very nice 993's and while I loved them all, there's simply no comparison to the 997S that I had the pleasure of driving.

The new Carrera S was beautifully crafted, powerful, balanced and stunning to behold. But that's just my opinion.

Who cares what people say...if its for the people that cant afford a 911...

OUR ORIGINAL SAYING FOR ALL OF US IS: the NSX is for people who cant afford a Ferrari and/or poormans Ferrari.....who cares , I still love the car.
so if you like it go for it..

BTW- I saw a nice Cayman S, lowered with some Champion wheels, and it was a MAJOR head turner, because it looks like something different than a normal 911, which really dont stick out unless its got visual upgrades that the normal person would notice.

Back