• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Porsche question

Disclaimer :I'm an NSX guy and I always will be.............

Having said that, I'm curious if any prime members have ever owned an old school 930 turbo ? I've always liked the whaletail Porsche look, but I really don't have any idea about the driving experience of one. I imagine a rear engine car would handle quite differently. I 've heard that they (late 70's to early 80's turbos) have a rep for overheating in traffic......Anyway, I'm curious...maybe someday if I want to start a sportscar collection.......:smile:

Having said that, I'm curious if any prime members have ever owned an old school 930 turbo ? I've always liked the whaletail Porsche look, but I really don't have any idea about the driving experience of one. I imagine a rear engine car would handle quite differently. I 've heard that they (late 70's to early 80's turbos) have a rep for overheating in traffic......Anyway, I'm curious...maybe someday if I want to start a sportscar collection.......:smile:

I have the rear deck whale tail spoiler and BBS wheels/tires for a 911 if you are interested let me know.

930 is a gray market import. Early Turbos late 70's are faster than the 80's turbo less emissions restrictions, avoid mid-70's turbos. Most turbos have an oil coolers to keep the car running cold and you can upgrade the fan on the generator/alternator which helps cool the engine.

I've driven an old 930 turbo. When you're on the gas there's either boost or no boost. They aren't the most comfortable cars to drive and they demand 150% of your attention and skill. I absolutely love the looks, but there are probably better cars on the road that are more reliable and easier to drive.

I had a silver 930 for about 4 months back in '96. Went through a set of front pads and 2 sets of rear tires and then damaged something in the turbo. Sold it for what I paid for it.

What I can say:

If you can get one for as cheap as I did ($17K) do it. It was a lotta' fun especially if you like reading your own license plate whenever you take a turn. Saying that, I would NEVER spend more than 20K on one, I don't care what people are asking for them these days.

I've driven an old 930 turbo. When you're on the gas there's either boost or no boost. They aren't the most comfortable cars to drive and they demand 150% of your attention and skill. I absolutely love the looks, but there are probably better cars on the road that are more reliable and easier to drive.

I like driving challenging cars why I have an NSX:).

Boast lag is under 2700rpm after that it takes of like a screaming fighter plane 13.3 quarter mile. The turbo flared fenders hurt the top speed by 5-10mph, an SC body with Turbo will out perform a turbo which is why they introduced the Club Sport Carrera for those who did not want the drag of the turbo body. If the turbo kicks in the corners OH NOOO....

I had a 1979 930; they were imported from 1976+, so they are not grey market cars as someone mentioned earlier. The car itself is a blast to drive, it is one of the cars I deeply miss, and when you consider the other cars that shared the road in the mid 1970's with the car its level of performance is amazing. When somebody compares a car engineered over 30 years ago to a modern sportscar like the nsx, and talk about things such as ease of driving, you are clearly not looking at the right car.

As far as the drive itself is concerned... it's very much a porsche, which translates into oversteer, but also means when you give it gas the rear will squat down and you will take off. There is a huge amount of turbo lag, but this gives the car character. Most of these cars are equipped with a 4 spd 'turbo' H pattern transmission, which is a huge upgrade in terms of feel from the 5 spd transmissions in regular 911's at the time (905, 915, etc.) - it also means the gears are long. The drive is, because of these two items, very much on/off - you will be cruising on the freeway, then you drop down a gear and punch the throttle, the turbo spools up, and the car seemingly transitions from a period SC into the starship enterprise, blasting off at incredible speed. Because this is essentially a 'german muscle car', and it is 30 years old, you will feel like you're going much faster than you actually are, and the huge increase in acceleration rate once the turbo spools up helps to highlight this feeling. There are many cars that are faster, easier to drive, more reliable, etc., but the 930 is an amazingly entertaining vehicle to drive, and I would recommend at least bumming a ride (or if you're lucky, a drive) in one prior to dismissing it. If you want a real mind bender drive a 930, fast, then drive a 1970's Ford, Chevy, etc. at similar speeds.

As can be expected with an early turbo car, smog in CA is something of a hassle. Some of the very early 930's are exempt, but they also have a smaller engine and no intercooler. There are many upgrades for the car, including larger turbos (the KKK K27 is popular), larger intercoolers, a variety of internal engine modifications, etc.

The common line, with regard to 911's, you will hear is to purchase the newest one you can afford. If you're not interested in the car for its nostalgic value, and intend to drive it on a regular basis, perhaps daily, this is sound advice. The 964 turbo's will be faster, are still air cooled, share many of the same aesthetic traits, have a 5 spd gearbox, and would be better suited towards this goal. Ideally you would purchase the pinnacle of porsche turbo's, the 993tt, but as the 911 turbo gets newer, so does the price. 993tt's regularly sell for more money than 996tt's with similar or even additional mileage, simply because they are in such high demand. If you find an amazing deal on a 993tt it is best to be cautious, as I found out the hard way. As with any high performance used car, a purchase inspection is key, and a high level of research is desirable. For air cooled 911's poke around the forums at pelicanparts.

John, Thanks so much for your very informative post. Your description was very fun to read. I simply love the look of an all black 930....and a 1979 is a very desireable year (don't know what color yours was though :confused: ).....It seems that the market for these cars is anywhere from 20-30 K. Even though that's not a massive amount, I imagine that the upkeep of an almost 30 year old turbocharged car could become quite expensive. I'm much older than you, so I can tell you that when I was a teen, these cars were considered the epitome of a sportscar !!! If I can ever get a second sportscar, a 930 will be my 1st choice !!!

I had a 1979 930; they were imported from 1976+, so they are not grey market cars as someone mentioned earlier.

1976-77 Porsche 911 Turbo is called Turbo Carrera not 930, in 78-79 930 entered. 1979 was the last year for the 930 in America. The 930 was discontinued in the US due mainly to emissions requirements. There are grey market 930's running all over the states, though. After a 7 year absence, the Turbo finally returned in 1986. Any 930 80-85 is a gray market import.

964 Turbo's and C2RS America are the lightest Porsches after 1973RS and few modern limited runs and the C2 Turbos are more fun than 993 which is a 4wheel drive car. Most drivers who want a classic feel with alot of potential go for 964 Turbo.
http://vista.pca.org/stl/turbo.htm

Mike if you can strech you funds to say 40ish buy a 964 Turbo essentially a 930 with modern Transmission emenities.

I need to state that I'm conducting a casual investigation....IF the time comes to where I can afford a second toy, a late 70's 930 would be that toy. Nostalgia and looks are the big factors in this decision...I already have a great modern sportscar :biggrin:, I would just want something for a different driving mood I guess......something a little rough around the edges....The turbo factor is very cool !!!

Although I thanked John for his post, I feel I should also thank EVERYONE for responding to my query......Sorry for the oversight

1976-77 Porsche 911 Turbo is called Turbo Carrera not 930, in 78-79 930 entered. 1979 was the last year for the 930 in America. The 930 was discontinued in the US due mainly to emissions requirements. There are grey market 930's running all over the states, though. After a 7 year absence, the Turbo finally returned in 1986. Any 930 80-85 is a gray market import.

The 911 turbo was NEVER sold as a 930, this was porsche's internal type number for the car, and refers to its use of technology adapted from the 3.0L 917; this 'type' number is similar to the early SWB long nose 911's being referred to as '901' type cars. The 930 type designation covers all pre-964 911 turbos.

The 911 turbo was NEVER sold as a 930, this was porsche's internal type number for the car, and refers to its use of technology adapted from the 3.0L 917; this 'type' number is similar to the early SWB long nose 911's being referred to as '901' type cars. The 930 type designation covers all pre-964 911 turbos.

I am familiar with the type Numbers I thought you meant the name was 930 since you said "I had a 1979 930; they were imported from 1976+, so they are not grey market cars as someone mentioned earlier.". To avoid confusion most Porsche people use Type numbers to simply the discussion using the word "Turbo" Porsche could mean 930,964,993,997, etc...Further more the car was actually marketed as 930 in North America.

I was simply correcting your statement about the 930 not being a gray import car since all turbo Carrera's (type 930) from 80-85 where gray market imports state side.

As you probably know being a former Porsche owner the first 911 was called 901 the original name for short wheel base Porsche in 1963 then Peugeot sued on the grounds of trademark 901 being theirs and thus Porsche changed the name from 901 to 911.

64-89half type 901
89half-94 type 964
95-98 993 ( 97 being last year for US)
96-04 996
Current being 997.

Mike-San here is a 964 video at nurburgring time doing an 8:08 time amazing.

http://www.awdforums.com/porsche-911-turbo-t934.html

Last edited:
Back