• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Positive Gearbox Oil Experience

Thanks for clarifying everyone the distinction between 5 spd vs. 6 spd. I certainly have little to no experience in a 6spd except for when I get to drive Kuni's OSGiken LSD equipped 4.44 FD which is entirely a different animal.

I never feel the need for an LSD except when on the track. Perhaps i'm just a pussy-footed street driver which i'm happy to admit. Coming out of T3 under hard acceleration and trail braking into T19 upon downshift makes me really wish I had a better LSD. It's noticeably better after the rebuild but it's no OSGiken.

I can't imagine feeling the need for a better-than-stock LSD just street driving.

img_track_buttonwillow_raceway.png

Last edited:
Problem is only Honda knows the material properties and friction characteristics of the clutch plates. According to them, the only two fluids that will not adversely affect LSD clutch engagement are 5W-30 motor oil and Honda genuine trans fluid. This doesn't mean other fluids won't work, just that Honda never tested them in the NSX differential.

Another vote for GM Synchromesh and FM blend in a 5-speed with the clutch-type LSD.

This is on a transmission with 128k total miles. Over the past 65k miles, the transmission has seem the GM blend for 40k, Amsoil MTF for 20k, then Honda white cap for the most recent 5k.

LSD breakaway torque (measured when I had the Amsoil stuff in) was on the high side of the SM. The LSD clutch disc thicknesses measure basically brand new. I'm putting the GM blend back in. The transmission shifts the smoothest with it (not that I've ever had any grinding issues - it just feels the best with the GM stuff), the LSD works fine on the street, and it is a semi-synthetic as opposed to Honda MTF and appears to hold up better under track conditions (according to Andrie Hartanto and others over on HondaTech). The only issue is that it's more expensive than Honda MTF.

See post 21 of this thread for LSD clutch disc wear:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/203689-Need-a-new-clutch-Considerations-for-older-cars-or-high-mileage-ones?p=1954314#post1954314

I wonder how long that's been out. IIRC, some of the HondaTech racers referenced TORCO MTF and said it worked OK on the track too for their clutch-type LSDs.

Sorry for the belated response (as I am not on here often).

Not sure how long this has been out since it was a total accident find (I'm fussy about fluids since it can put a grin on my face or a ruin my day).

Back