• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Possible Future Vendor on NSX Prime. Looking for NSX-T Owners:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I posted on here about a year ago looking for NSX-T owners to help assist me in developing a new product for the NSX. Ameripol is an Arizona based company that develops panoramic tops and accessories for BMW, Corvette, Ferrari, Lotus and Honda.

The Honda Del Sol is known for it's removable targa top, which is not all that different in design from the NSX targa top, so I am looking to build a prototype "glass top" for the NSX-T.

I've attached some pictures to show you an example of how these tops look on a Honda del Sol. They are made from a cast acrylic and are very durable, scratch resistant and offer excellent UV protection. From the outside they are glossy, and appear to be black in color, but from the inside during the day you can see the color of the tint, which is available in blue and bronze.

I would need a donor top to take measurements, make molds from, and a willing NSX-T owner to allow me to test fit the prototype on their vehicle and take pictures for marketing purposes. In exchange I would let you keep the top for all your assistance.

This is an idea I have been tossing around for some time now, but considering how hard it is to find these tops, that seems to be the only hang up at this point.

So is there anyone out there that could help me out?

Thanks

IMG_0831.jpgIMG_0832.jpgIMG_0870.JPGIMG_0869.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool idea and I hope you guys do come out with a product!

Your best bet would be posting this in the Regional Section (Southwest - Phoenix). Theirs a BUNCH of NSX guys in AZ and I'm sure at least one of them would be more than willing to help out (and get that free top :biggrin:).

We talked the other day and a year ago about this...

at some point in the past I had identified a few used targa tops and one guy with just the components minus the targa metal skin
some junkyard guy had two donor tops but wanted $1500 a piece for them, and the components ended up being sold to someone else

I'd think that like any business, invest in a donor top, do the R & D (and hit up local owners for fitment testing)

Maybe a Primer out there has a donor top that he is sitting on, long shot, but possible

As you know, I was seriously pursuing this design but abandoned the project due to the lack of availability of a donor top and increasing work demands.

I did identify a supplier that can source the exact acrylic and coating used in the F-16 canopy
(which is the cockpit that Acura researched in the original NSX design)
...the material is not as expensive as you would think and adds a significant "cool factor" to the design

I'm happy to assist with fitment, although I'm not taking my targa top apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back