• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Possible new NSX buyer scam?

Had my NSX for sale for a while. Long enough to get most of the scams out there.
This appears to be a new one.

I've got this gentleman claiming to be in need of a "near new" NSX to test a tire sensor being developed for a American Le Mans series team we all know.

Seems they need a "comparatively cheap and disposable car" to test the unit on prior to fitting it on the race car.

He would like to see my car, if we come to terms, the funds would be "wired to my account in a few days".

I'm a die hard skeptic and this is raising all kinds of red flags for me.

Doesn't make sense. He's claiming to need a "near new" NSX that is "comparatively cheap and disposable"? The only NSX I can think of that might fall in the "comparatively cheap and disposable" catagory would be "near dead".

Weird!! Why would the "near new" status be significant. They could use any NSX couldn't they?? It's not like it's changed a lot over the years. Wouldn't an S2000 or a Corvette be a better car to use as far as the "cheap" aspect is concerned. I just mean they're less expensive and more economically feasible. I'd certainly be cautious!! Good luck!!!

I'm getting the impression he works for some 3rd party that produces the sensors, not the actual race team. The team in question could absolutely afford to do their own testing.

The story is they require testing in the 165 mph range, thus the NSX, prior to fitting it to the 215 mph end user.

At any rate, my first suggestion was that he find a cheaper, closer candidate. I mean if cosmetics are not an issue, he could save close to 10 grand. Still he persists.

Sounds very fishy... but:

Don't give him the car, keys, cash or the title without payment and there should be no problem... right?

I don't understand. You are selling your car and he is offering to buy it, correct? Then sell it to him! What do you care what he's going to do with it?

Of course, you will want to follow all the usual cautionary procedures when selling it - get a contract in writing, and get the money wired to your account before turning over the title. Don't let him drive away with it before paying, and don't give HIM any money (which is usually the surest sign of a scam).

I guess I don't see what the scam is here. Is he lying about using it for a tire sensor? Shouldn't matter - as long as he's buying it legitimately.

Ken, I didn't read something about buying the car in the 1st post. I read something that they need a car to test the sensor - my understanding is they want it for a certain time - but maybe my english is not good enough.

NSX-Racer said:
Ken, I didn't read something about buying the car in the 1st post. I read something that they need a car to test the sensor - my understanding is they want it for a certain time - but maybe my english is not good enough.
That's what I read as well.

Otherwise why would the buyer even mention "testing" for a Le Mans team? Who cares what they do with it, as Ken says??

Hey tell'em to sent you the tires and you will test them and report back to him :biggrin:
then tell'em blow it out his ass and you have swamp land for sell :tongue:

NSX-Racer said:
I didn't read something about buying the car in the 1st post.
From the title of this topic, I assumed that this concerns the possible purchase of this car.

If they are NOT proposing to buy the car - and they are only giving you payment for using it for testing for a specific period of time - then you are renting it to them. It's up to you whether you would want to rent your car to anyone who considers it "cheap and disposable"; I sure wouldn't...

Back