• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Possibly buying a nsx - need more confidance!

The BAD: I do have gitters about spending approx. $60k on a used car with several thousand miles.

Understandable, that's a lot of cash for a used car, I know I just spent the same amount on May 29th for an 2004. But if it's something you've always wanted, you'll kick yourself if you don't ever just take the plunge and do it.

1. How did you guys decide on the color? In my previous buying experiences (2 new cars), I never ended up with the color that I originally thought of, but what I did end up with has made me happy. For instance I originally wanted a white van, but they only had it in silver, which ended up to be even nicer.

Personal preference as stated before, me personally I knew I wanted Black, White, Silver, or Yellow, with Black interior. I found a Black/Black 04, it was a little more than I originally wanted to spend, but I just went for it, and with no regrets.

2. How has buying a car like this affected your life? For instance, if you live in a middle class neighborhood, do you stick out like a sore thumb. I'm a very low key person who doesn't want attention. But I'm cookoo about my cars. Even if I was alone on a deserted island, I would still keep my cars detailed.

Everyone seems to come out of the woodwork to talk to you, at least that's been my experience. Me, I love the car, so if someone wants to come over and chit-chat in the parking lot, or in my driveway, I'm more than happy to give them the tour of the car.

3. I'm generally a frugal person (when it comes to things that are not mechanical) so will I still be able to shop at walmart?

LOL, this one cracks me up the most, mainly because I think it depends on which wal-mart your going to.
My local wal-mart has a sushi-bar, coffe house, wine bistro and more, but even if it didn't it wouldn't stop me from going.

4. I read the edmund's review of the car and just like the author I'm baffled as to why the car is so expensive? The main reason why I'm buying it is because I love the exotic GT looks and it's a honda. But if you guys can give me some more objective reason to justify the expense, that would make me feel better.

The best objective reason I have for the cost is all the engineering and R&D that went into the car.
Other than that, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and right now people are willing to pay 60K for that specific year model
So that's what they are selling them for.

That's my 2 cents worth.

gsr.sedan said:
4. I read the edmund's review of the car and just like the author I'm baffled as to why the car is so expensive? The main reason why I'm buying it is because I love the exotic GT looks and it's a honda. But if you guys can give me some more objective reason to justify the expense, that would make me feel better.

:confused:

Remember, these aren't your run-of-the-mill corvette's that are just pieced together on a factory line.

The NSX is handbuilt in Japan. The same person has built every motor.

Check this out:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46756&highlight=trip+japan

Why all of a sudden we have a bunch of guys coming on board all saying that they are about to buy an NSX and need some last minutes reassurance? Buying a $60k NSX means that you like the car enough to spend the money on and have done enough reading and looking and so finally decided on the NSX. If you have a pile of money burning a hole in your vault, then it is not even an issue. If you are like me on a $60k budget, then this is the time to decide which NSX to get, but not IF you should buy one.
1)Color? How do you choose your shirt colors?
2)Justification to buy the car? You like the car and you have the financial resource.
3)How does it affect your life? You will be very happy to have chosen such a fun and reliable car.
4) Why is the NSX so expensive???!!!! If you think it is SO expensive, then the car is probably not for you. I bought all 3 of mine because I think they were/are all worth the prices and my hard earned money.
Hmmmm, how come I have not seen the TrollPatrol for a while now?
Steve

I do not understand all the negativity in this thread.

gsr.sedan said:
:confused:

Check this out:

http://www.nsxprime.com/Gallery/press/tidh/tidh.htm

Although that was produced a very long time ago, most, if not all of what you need to know to 'justify the expense' is there.

gsr.sedan said:
The good: The car is immaculate and I can afford it. But if the deal doesn't happen, I can walk away.
The BAD: I do have gitters about spending approx. $60k on a used car with several thousand miles.

1. How did you guys decide on the color? In my previous buying experiences (2 new cars), I never ended up with the color that I originally thought of, but what I did end up with has made me happy. For instance I originally wanted a white van, but they only had it in silver, which ended up to be even nicer.

2. How has buying a car like this affected your life? For instance, if you live in a middle class neighborhood, do you stick out like a sore thumb. I'm a very low key person who doesn't want attention. But I'm cookoo about my cars. Even if I was alone on a deserted island, I would still keep my cars detailed.

3. I'm generally a frugal person (when it comes to things that are not mechanical) so will I still be able to shop at walmart?

Hi there,

I seem to recognize some of your hesitations and therefore would like to comment on some.

I understand that you might be hesitant to put down that amount of money for a car. I know I was, in fact, the NSX I bought was about 6 times more expensive than any car I had bought before. What I did was make a kind of checklist of cars that would also be nice to have, from simple souped-up hatchbacks all the way to 2nd hand Porsche 911's. Most cars on the list where less expensive and if their price was about equal it was because I could have bought them new.
Somehow, I always came back to the NSX however because, quite simply, it was the one supercar I had always wanted.

To decide on the color I just tried to see every NSX (all four of them) that was for sale in my country. But, like someone already sated, I forced myself to take things slow. Checked every car in detail and posted plenty of questions here on Prime I could think of.

How did it affect my life. Well, for one thing, I used to really like the NSX, now I just LOVE it. And yes, the money I spend on driving has increased substantially. The NSX is the only car I work on myself. It is also the only car I ever owned that that I take out for a drive in the middle of the night, ending up a hundres miles from home. That is how much I enjoy it. As for the attention, yes, I get that a LOT. In a country with 7 million cars and only around 20 NSX's you stand out. REALLY stand out.

Do I use it for shopping? Yes, why not? As long as your shoppings fit that is. If you act casual people will not be bothered. If you act like a 'look-at-me-and-my-car-ain't-I-cool-and-interesting' kind of guy people will treat you like the jerk you really are.

And yes, people will come at you and ask you question. Or sometimes treat you differently which can be both nice or annoying.

And no, I did not read Edmunds review of the car. However, I did read every article I could find about the NSX about a dozen times (Have got about 5 feet of NSX related books, magazines and brochures by now). And if there is one thing I have learned by now it how wrong or biased car magazine writers can be.

I would sincerely suggest you find some people who actually own a NSX and talk to them. Ask them anything you like. If they are as nuts about the car as I am they will be happy to talk to you. Then, if you can somehow feel as thrilled and exicted about the car, then it is the car for you :smile:

Back