• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Post pics of your watches!

I used to wear a watch until the rubber wrist strap broke. Now, I use this...

my_watch.jpg

First of...
Supra, I am in the middle of changing carreers and I'd love to know wat you do for a living? :biggrin: Nice collection!

I collect watches and a good portion of them were passed down the family tree. Couple of nice wind-ups from early 1900's, few 40's (WW2) and 50's watches, one new titanium Citizen, three Tags... and a mystery watch that is currently arriving from Germany as a belated XMas gift from dad. Not a great collection considering I started about 15 years ago when I got two watches for my 12th bday.

My daily driver is a Citizen that's served me well daily for eight years now. Best $700 I spent, very durable, excellent quality. Few scratches from wearing it all the time, including when working on my car or bike. Sorry for crappy phone pic...

2-2.jpg

I looked into Rolex last spring, you know, every March when the bonuses and taxes hit in a span of few weeks and we get crazy... I love the movement but they just weren't pleasing to my eye. I can't take gold or diamonds, even in small amounts, I'm a silver or platinum guy.

I love the black Senna watch above, I'll have to check that out!

Last one I got was a 5yr anniversary watch from my company, a $80 Fossil. It's silver with a blue face, it looks good, but it's heavy!

Last edited:
Sorry this is off topic but this was of recent talk on the watch section of another car forum to which I belong.

The All Black Senna

BigBangSenna1.jpg

do you have a Senna Big Bang? Its hard for me to find a watch that I like and when this one came out I thought that my search for the watch I loved the look of, but as importantly, the meaning of, was over. Too bad its basically twice the price of a regular big bang. Love it.

Sorry this is off topic but this was of recent talk on the watch section of another car forum to which I belong.

The All Black Senna

BigBangSenna1.jpg

That looks very cool, low profile too that's what I like. I laugh when people drop Rolex's in the lake every year :) $25,000 damn, I was thinking like 800-1000 or something. Not worth getting shot for a watch.

Wow, I had to look that up... $25K for the Senna... With a rubber band... Moving on... :(

Tuning fork movement: the only watch type I know of where
the second hand moves smoothly rather than in little jerks.
The curved second hand below is an artifact of taking
the picture by laying the watch face down on a scanner.

accutron.jpg

Tuning fork movement: the only watch type I know of where
the second hand moves smoothly rather than in little jerks.
The curved second hand below is an artifact of taking
the picture by laying the watch face down on a scanner.

accutron.jpg

This is also completely smooth

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u_KkmwapoG0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u_KkmwapoG0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Seiko Spring Drive

The Seiko Spring Drive actually contains a main spring like an automatic or mechanic watch, but it is made from a material which provides more elasticity than your typical main spring, providing a power reserve of 72 hours as opposed to the more common 40 hours. What is really unique about the Spring Drive, however, is that it does not use an escapement to regulate the unwinding of the main spring. Rather, it uses a "Tri-synchro regulator" which regulates the energy generated by the main spring, and uses that energy to power a crystal oscillator. In other words, the Spring Drive is an even tighter integration between automatic and quartz movements than even kinetic watches because the crystal is directly powered by the main spring rather than a rechargeable capacitor. The result is accuracy of about one second or less per day, and a completely smooth, sweeping hand movement.

The SS Daytona is my goal. That is probably the most extreme extent I will go in this hobby as far as owning it, however, I still appreciate the any quality timepieces. When I saw the $35k AP up close in person a few days ago, the feel I get was same as the first time I saw NSX in person. Pure art form.

I have a Breitling and I love it. I would have a hard time spending 30K on a watch though. But, if you have the money why not? I don't understand people lecturing others on spending a pile of money on a watch when you drive a NSX!!!
+1, you said it well. IMHO is it perfectly ok to find no value or appreciation in watches, but not everyone is the same.

Many car forums have a separate watch sections. You can usually wear a quality timepiece for little to nothing. They really do hold their value if you do your research and make wise purchasing choices. I sold two watches in the past, one I broke even, and the other I made profit.

I am shocked by some of the comments on this forum. For me the appreciation for watches is on the same level as cars. I don't have to own it to appreciate it. I only have 1 watch right now, but I can never get tired of checking watches at Jackroad, Quark everytime I visit Japan. It is odd to me that I can dump $30k in my NSX in just mods alone, buy a uncessarly beater car that I hardly drive as well just to prevent door dings on my nsx and no one would give me a hardtime about it. Which is bigger waste? For me neither have any impact in my fiances. Other than on the forum where I believed I can share my interest, outside of the forum, I don't chat or talk about the hobby, unless it is with someone with same interest or appreciation.

It is funny and sad that, a lot of people in my own culture will get really expensive gifts from family, yet they don't appreciate it, they take it for granted. People who find value in earning things on their own and turn down the gift are actually the ones who might appreciate the items the most. (Above is just my assumption based on what I have seen). I lived in 4 different countries in the past), every place is different. In USA, even people who live in different Cities, can have different view, different sub-culture. Difference is good, it make people unique, otherwise the world would be a boring place.

My only watch at the moment, not too bling, usually go unnoticed just the way I like it:
2.jpg

I'm still saving up for my first "nice" watch. I want to get a Tag Heur Carrera Chrono.
Good for you, that is a fantastic watch, you will feel it the moment you handed the watch. I really regret of selling it.
2.jpg

Last edited:
The SS Daytona is my goal. That is probably the most extreme extent I will go in this hobby as far as owning it, however, I still appreciate the any quality timepieces. When I saw the $35k AP up close in person a few days ago, the feel I get was same as the first time I saw NSX in person. At every angle, every area, there are a ton of details.

+1, you said it well. IMHO is it perfectly ok to find no value or appreciation in watches, but not everyone is the same.

Many car forums have a separate watch sections. You can usually wear a quality timepiece for little to nothing. They really do hold their value if you do your research and make wise purchasing choices. I sold two watches in the past, one I broke even, and the other I made profit.

I am shocked by some of the comments on this forum. For me the appreciation for watches is on the same level as cars. I don't have to own it to appreciate it. I only have 1 watch right now, but I can never get tired of checking watches at Jackroad, Quark everytime I visit Japan. It is odd to me that I can dump $30k in my NSX in just mods alone, buy a uncessarly beater car that I hardly drive as well just to prevent door dings on my nsx and no one would give me a hardtime about it. Which is bigger waste? For me neither have any impact in my fiances. Other than on the forum where I believed I can share my interest, outside of the forum, I don't chat or talk about the hobby, unless it is with someone with same interest or appreciation.

It is funny and sad that, a lot of people in my own culture will get really expensive gifts from family, yet they don't appreciate it, they take it for granted. People who find value in earning things on their own and turn down the gift are actually the ones who might appreciate the items the most. (Above is just my assumption based on what I have seen). I lived in 4 different countries in the past), every place is different. In USA, even people who live in different Cities, can have different view, different sub-culture. Difference is good, it make people unique, otherwise the world would be a boring place.

My only watch at the moment, not too bling, usually go unnoticed just the way I like it:
2.jpg

Good for you, that is a fantastic watch, you will feel it the moment you handed the watch. I really regret of selling it.
2.jpg

Man, I really like that rolex on the left.

Man, I really like that rolex on the left.

x2. Not too shiny, I love the lack of gold on it.

You guys got me looking at new watches. My mom said "this NSX crowd would be a bad influence!" :tongue:

I'm not saying I don't like it, but for the price I don't like it. If it was $20 I would have kept it, but I don't wear a watch 99% of the time and when I do, it's typically a situation that calls for something a bit dressier.

It is certainly cool and unique and my wife clearly put some thought into it and picked a gift that is right down my geeky alley. I just suspect there is about $2 in parts and labor in that thing with a markup for uniqueness.

If you like that one, there are some extremely unique geeky watches here:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/

Here's a photo a took when I took most of my watches off of the winder a few months ago. Have added a few Pateks and a Milgauss in the last few months. I'm sure there are better ways to spend $, but probably worse, too.

P1010028.jpg

Back