• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Premature Tire Wear

Yes - I searched. :redface: :biggrin:

Is the premature tire wear of the NSX due solely to the softness of the tire itself or do other things come into play ?

Is it because the NSX drivers tend to burn out more often from a standing start, take curves far more briskly or it there something inherent in the way the car's built (too) ?

Do Porsches, AMG 55/63's and other high performance cars also eat their tires at the same rate ? I don't drive that quickly that often but my OEM's on my M3 were still on the car when I sold it at 30K :eek:

TIA

NSX-GUY said:
Yes - I searched. :redface: :biggrin:

Is the premature tire wear of the NSX due solely to the softness of the tire itself.
No

NSX-GUY said:
Is it because the NSX drivers tend to burn out more often from a standing start, take curves far more briskly or it there something inherent in the way the car's built (too) ?
Yes

NSX-GUY said:
Do Porsches, AMG 55/63's and other high performance cars also eat their tires at the same rate ? I don't drive that quickly that often but my OEM's on my M3 were still on the car when I sold it at 30K :eek:
NSX owners would be thrilled to get 30,000 from a set a tires.

For better or worse, Honda chose alignment settings to help mask some of the handling ineffeciences of the NSX. The orginal Yokohomas also were made special with a different belt on the inside to help promote turn in crispness.

What is killing the tires is excessive toe and to a lesser degree the neg camber. Some people go with alot less toe in front and rear to give a longer tire life.

I think the concept of "premature" tire wear on the NSX is incorrect.

If your alignment is w/in spec, then your tire wear is appropriate for the suspension design/geometry coupled with the OEM tire compound. Since the NSX has somewhat agressive toe setting and a low treadwear OEM tire, you get the tirewear you should get with that setup.

mickeylex said:
I think the concept of "premature" tire wear on the NSX is incorrect.

If your alignment is w/in spec, then your tire wear is appropriate for the suspension design/geometry coupled with the OEM tire compound. Since the NSX has somewhat agressive toe setting and a low treadwear OEM tire, you get the tirewear you should get with that setup.

Oh......... well,,,,,,,,, errrrrrr,,,,,, thanks. :rolleyes:

CL65 Captain said:
For better or worse, Honda chose alignment settings to help mask some of the handling ineffeciences of the NSX.
Baloney. Honda chose alignment settings that, along with the OEM tires and the car's suspension geometry, give the NSX its wonderful handling crispness.

the type of tire definitely has something to do with it as well. I managed 18K out of a rear set yokohama tires. 45K miles out of the front. With the same alignment settings I will be lucky to get 7K miles out of my rear Goodyear F1's.

Last edited:
sjones said:
the type of tire definitely has something to do with it as well. I managed 18K out of a rear set yokohama tires. With the same alignment settings I will be lucky to get 7K miles out of my GoodYear F1's.
Driving style matters, too. Hugh has 12K miles on his front Goodyear F1 GS-D3 and they still have plenty of tread.

could depend on your luggage capacity and/or passenger wt. too

i mean, the car is rated for 400 lbs. I replaced all 4 tires a month ago and this past weekends road trip pretty much cancelled the rears lifespan because I was exceding that capacity.

:frown:

Uehara said at NSXPO that they never intended American drivers to drive their NSX's so often and put so many miles on them. Im not sure but I assume he was kidding.

Back