• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Price range question - am I in the right range?

I'm an air-cooled Porsche 911 owner and I recently registered since I've gotten interested in driving the NSX as the next car on my bucket list.

With the run up in prices, I think I can sell my 911 this coming spring and have enough to buy a NSX in the $45-$50k range.

Is that enough to buy a well cared for early 90s or a mid 90s T model in 100k miles range? A lot of asking prices are in the $70k plus but are they actually selling at those prices?

I just saw this listing: https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5410773410.html
which lines up with my price range and seems good if the car checks out. I'm not ready to buy just now so anyone is welcomed to it.

I wouldn't want to sell my 911, which I still enjoy, and then find out I don't have enough for a decent NSX driver. Then I would be sad. Unless I find a NSX owner who wants to trade, I realize there's always a risk but I wanted to check with the members here to see if I wasn't off base on my expectations.

Thanks

While prices have been rising, you can find a nice '91-'96 NSX within your range. As with your Porsche, a good service history is more critical than mileage. However, for that price you should get a nice one with well under 100k miles.

Last edited:
Check Hagerty, their price is pretty fair and normally close to reality. Except, those special color or Zanardi edition which you can find them in wiki.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/search

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Rare_NSXs
Guess I am a little bit shocked at the uptick. Seems like it was just a couple years ago I listed my 94 with 50k miles and didn't get much interest at $34k. Mine had all the preventative maintenance done too. Might hang onto a while longer.

I got my '95 5spd for 41k last spring, around 85k miles, tons of recent maintenance including recent engine out overhaul for an issue where a screw went through the engine, brakes, timing, water pump, tires, clutch around 81k etc. . You should be able to find a great one for what you're looking to spend!

Hmmm, I guess there is a forum policy not to allow photos of other cars? My photo reply to davidf's request got deleted. No big deal.

clutch1, sounds like you got yourself a great deal. Everything that you described (recent upgrades on all the high mileage items) would be a plus for me. A higher mileage car would encourage me to forget about babying a garage queen and just drive it.

I felt like it, but it just took a little searching. Originally I wanted a salvage title with body damage to rebuild, but those were seemingly tough to come by without being destroyed entirely. (That fellow who picked up the already rebuilt '95 Red 5spd from Cali this summer, though, now THAT's a good deal!) but this one popped up two hours from me and the previous owner had it for several years.
For reference, the body has a little bit more damage on it than I'd like (about 3 good dings and a few misc rock chips) and a tire tech did some damage to the rims when it got new tires, but it's a tade off.. the paint is still too nice to repaint it, and the way the car drives makes it all OK, lol. A little bit of body damage is something that, like you said about higher mileage ones, encourages you to DRIVE it. I still try to baby it, but I know if I get another rock chip in the front bumper or something it's not the end of the world, takes a little stress out of the ownership.

I feel like the "just under 100k" mark is a great spot for picking up a car that you plan to drive and enjoy vs. one you don't want miles on. Racking up miles on a 20k miles car would be stressful I'd imagine. But an 80k car is past the point of being 'collectibly low' miles, and it's still low enough that it's 'new' in term of how Hondas tend to age. Plus in many cases it'll recently have gotten timing done around 60k or perhaps even sooner.
Not to say they'll always be reliable still, there's a few unforeseeable things (like how mine had that screw went through the engine when the PO had it.. but that's simply bad luck, could happen to anyone), but I'd argue that it's a great age to get them at for someone who's going to be driving it a fair amount.

All that said, I'm not an expert, but it sounds like you're close to the same boat I was in so I hope that helps a bit! I was looking right about this time last year and pickings were slim. Around April - June it seemed like the sales really picked up.

Last edited:
Well, what you described would explain the low 40's price.

I need to sell my 911 first before being able to purchase a NSX so April - June would be a good window to go shopping.

Hmmm, I guess there is a forum policy not to allow photos of other cars? My photo reply to davidf's request got deleted. No big deal.

clutch1, sounds like you got yourself a great deal. Everything that you described (recent upgrades on all the high mileage items) would be a plus for me. A higher mileage car would encourage me to forget about babying a garage queen and just drive it.

In the nsx specific general forum like this. non nsx pics are discouraged...off topic have at it.

Thanks for that clarification. I figured it was something like that. As I said, no big deal.

It's just that the photo really showed the shiny wax job I had done on it, good color saturation too. :biggrin:

just don't mention zaino or zymol and you'll be fine:wink:

Back