• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

prime canyan drive caravan from OC

We are only a couple of weeks away. I can't wait.

What we (people that live in south OC) did previousely was to meet up in Irvine and we picked up a few people along the way to the meeting place. We'll take 5 north, 22 west, 405 north then 101 north.

Last time, I got names and phone numbers of the people that live along the way. They'll be waiting on a predetermine freeway entrances. 1 mile before the caravan reached their entrances, I'll either call them on the phone or they'll catch us talking on the club radios.

Since there was a fairly amount of people in the West LA area, we made a stop there and met up with them.

If you guys are planning to take any of these freeways and would like to drive up with us, please let me know.

I can assure you that it is 10 times more fun than driving up there by yourselves. We normally have around 8 to 10 cars.

Chris

Chris Count me in for the caravan up, are you thinking about starting at Starbucks in Irvine? Gil

coolnsx said:
Chris Count me in for the caravan up, are you thinking about starting at Starbucks in Irvine? Gil
Where in Irvine is this particular Starbuck? I have a Club Radio.

just tell me where and when to meet.

I may be staying overnight in Santa Monica, so I'd like to meet up with you guys around the 405/10 interchange. Keep me informed on what's happening.

Yes, Gil. The same Starbucks that we met last time, at the corner of Walnut and Culver Dr. just south of the 5 fwy.

O/C Location:
Walnut Village
14437 Culver Drive
Irvine, CA 92714
United States
949-857-2737

Conrad, from SD, you just stay on 5 and exit on Culver, left on Trabuco and left on Culver. It is in the complex with Trader Joes and Smart and Final (I think). It is just across the street from Ralph.

Time: 7:00 and leaving promptly at 7:15.

We'll be around 110 miles away from the starting point and we may stop in West LA. Either way, it'll be around 1hr 45min to get there. That'd allow a 15 minutes to gas up before 9:15.

Tan,

No not that one. Although it always have good parking spaces, it is a little too far off fwy 5.

Since you live in FV, you can just hop on 22 while we drive through there. Less driving for you that way. Of course you are welcome to come to the Irvine meeting point.

I think we'll probably be picking up Steve R. in the Seal beach area. May be you can meet up with him off Seal beach blvd.

Hey CDub

I'm in Irvine. I'll be there. What is a club radio and how do I get one? Can Borrow one for the day or do I have to buy one.

Ed

Hi Ed,

Here is some info about the club radios.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16430

These are business band radios that used to cost over $200 from motorola, uniden .... Now Radio Shack sells them for around $70. So you can pick up 2.

If you plan to join these types of drives in the future, it is worth the money to get one. If not, you can just rent it for a day for $15 from ANYTIME at the event.

Chris

Conrad, yes it is the same meeting place as last year for the OC group.

Yes, club radios are required for this event, but some people may be picking up the radio at the meeting place.

Justin, yes I got your cell number. We are actually going 5 - 22 - 405. So we are not going through 5/91 area. But you can meet us some where on 22. Just come down 5 south and 22 west. Pick one exit and let me know ahead of time. I'll tell you in advance what time we'll be by and we'll give you a call when we get close to your fwy entrance. If we leave at 7:15, we should be able to get to 22 in 5 mins. Let me know what you want to do.

Just a suggestion - we should decide where all of the stops/connection points are going to be along the caravan route. That way anyone joining along the way will know in advance where and approximately what time to be at a designated location. And is someone collecting Mobile Phone numbers from those that do not have a Club Radio?

There is a radio available at:
Santa Ana-Main
(714) 545-0405
2701 S. Main St.
Santa Ana, CA 92707

Last edited:
We are not going to stop at any point at all...with an exception of "may be" in the west LA area if there are enough people gathering there. It'd give us a change to recycle the starbucks coffee also. People along the way will just wait at their predetermined fwy entrances and I'll call them on the club radio as we are driving through their entrances.

All you got to do is to let me know what fwy entrance and I'll tell you what time we'll drive through there. Or you can estimate the time since we are leaving at 7:15 sharp from Culver on 5.

If you don't have a club radio, you can always private me your phone no. so that I can call you 2 exits ahead. So far, this system worked very well for all the drives we have done in the past.

Cdub,
It's great that you guys are planning a caravan up to the drive. 100% more fun when traveling in a group. I'll cross post this message here and on the Drive thread. If you don't already know by now, you positively, absolutely HAVE to have a club radio to go on this drive. I have plenty available to rent if you don't have one already. I'll refresh some memories and let everyone know why do we have to have some dumb radios? One word, WALTER(no offense to you). We were having a great time on the 1st. Prime Drive and then we lost Walter. What to do? Did he go home? Did he crash? Should we ALL turn around and look for him? How long should we wait? 27 NSX'ers stopped dead in their tracks. You see where this is going. Everyone needs to be in contact with each other and be aware of upcoming traffic hazards(CHP and or the fuzz, rocks, water, accidents etc.), when and where we are turning or changing directions. We have Ilya donating his time to be the front runner and he will keep us up to date on the roads ahead. This is priceless when you have 35 NSX's coming around corners obeying all of the laws. If you have never been on a canyon drive, we are not always bumper to bumper, single file. Gaps between cars can have people missing turns and getting lost(maps will be provided).
Thanks for all of the prompt payments! You will be receiving emails on the morning meeting location shortly. Be on time and please have a full tank o'gas when you arrive. Make sure that you have a good breakfast and bring a snack to tide you over for the late lunch(break time will be between 12-1pm) and raffle, which we be between 2:30-3pm.

ONLY 16 more days!!!

Take care,
John

Last edited:
Count us in that's Dexter, Carl and Kwante. We will be entering the 405 NB at the Manchester on ramp.

[email protected]

Please let me know if there is going to be a predetermined meeting location in WLA.
Check your PM

Last edited:
I will be at the 405 Northbound on ramp at Warner/Magnolia with a tag along (Adam) in my passenger seat. Or should I be at the 22 Freeway on ramp of Magnolia?

Tan

Dexter, I just sent you a PM. If you have more people in WLA, we can always stop at a locate off 405. Just let us know where.

Tan, I guess we'll be on 22 driving through Magnolia. I'll radio you or call you. We should be there at around 7:25.

Chris

CDub said:
Dexter, I just sent you a PM. If you have more people in WLA, we can always stop at a locate off 405. Just let us know where.

Tan, I guess we'll be on 22 driving through Magnolia. I'll radio you or call you. We should be there at around 7:25.

Chris

Chris, what is the radio frequency? I have a blue Two way Radio. Otherwise my cell is (714) 273-8000.

Thanks.
Tan

Back