• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prime Lost A Member Last Night And I An Old Friend

At the epicenter of the Zombie Apocalypse
EricV was killed last night riding the Metro North train that struck the vehicle stalled at a railroad crossing in Valhalla, NY. I met Eric early on in my Muni Bond career and we quickly became very good friends. I'll never forget our antics in the 1980s sharing a ski house in Killington, Vermont. And I still tell people to this day how Eric was such a devoted Grateful Dead fan that his apartment walls in NYC were covered by framed Dead set lists. I of course am essentially allergic to that band. Eric wasn't very fond of heavy metal but we made a pact. He would join me at an Iron Maiden concert and I in turn would attend a Dead show with him. Needless to say he was blown away by Maiden and continued to listen to them for quite a while, maybe even until the end. I on the other hand had to exit the Brendan Byrne Arena as quickly as possible after the first few minutes of hearing that garbage. I really, really tried but I was actually getting physically ill from the sound coming from the stage that night. LOL. Jimmy Buffett, Maroon 5 and a few other pathetic musical acts still do that to me. I know you're reading this from the Heavens Eric and laughing your ass off. I'll never forget you my friend!

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/metro-north-crash-victim-identified-article-1.2103112

Vandercar.jpg

Last edited:
Horrible tragedy...especially considering how it was all caused by one person being a complete moron....

Thoughts and prayers to all those effected....so sad.

For Eric: "The Spirit Carries On" by Dream Theater

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mBCNLzhHYYo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rip

We are all diminished by this loss.

what a freak accident....hang in there Hugh...we lost some talented people....

Wow, really sorry to hear this. Hugh, your words make me wish I knew him. The dream theater song above is probably my favorite and perfectly fits especially as they consider themselves a NY band (i like to think of them as boston :))

Got an email this morning informing us 2 members of our company also died in this accident.

That's horrible. You work for JP Morgan? Eric worked at Morgan Stanley for virtually his entire career until making the recent move to Mesirow.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, really sorry to hear this. Hugh, your words make me wish I knew him. The dream theater song above is probably my favorite and perfectly fits especially as they consider themselves a NY band (i like to think of them as boston :))

Well they did "officially" form the band during the Berklee days but Petrucci and Portnoy are Long Island boys and have strong roots there. I have some fond memories of them jamming out Maiden songs back in the mid '80s at various rock bars around LI years before they found LaBrie. DT is one of my all time favorite bands and they are the only band besides Maiden who have a dedicated CD case in my car. :)

Last edited:
This week on the world is smaller than one would think..... Eric is my neighbor's sister's brother in law (almost a Spaceballs reference there). Asked my neighbor about that when I saw him posting condolences on FB to Eric's family.

Back