• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Problem with car shaking at higher speed 80+

Hello everyone, do unbalanced wheels cause the car to shake at high speed? I was borrowing a set of the OEM 2002 wheels/tires just to play around (his has alot more tread than mine) but I noticed when I run the car beyond the 80mph mark, it starts to shake. I pressed the brake, both the steering wheel and brake pedal feel fine while the car continues to shake in a overall manner. I have prior to this installed new brake pads to the front but I doubt this is the cause. The shaking goes away when I slow down below 60mph. I did few more 60-100 runs just to prove I am not imagining things and the shaking comes back everytime. His OEM wheels/tires seem to be in good condition except for some scratches on the spokes. No dents or bent. All 4 tires have at least 90% OEM 040 treads. Not sure if they are balanced though. The tires are all pointing in the forward directions.

Thanks,
Randy

Sounds like the wheels are off balance. Depending on how the wheels were stored, the tires may have settled in a way that threw them off balance.

I would check the tire pressure then get them balanced if need be.

I can only think it's the wheel unbalanced. The tires are fine and hasn't been stored that long (3 months with air standing up). I will put my OEM wheels back and see if it goes away. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
S Flavor said:
I can only think it's the wheel unbalanced. The tires are fine and hasn't been stored that long (3 months with air standing up). I will put my OEM wheels back and see if it goes away. Thanks everyone.

Wow! You gotta love that avatar. :eek:

could also be: mismtached tire sizes on same axle. or it could be an alignment issue.

but i'm betting its a tire balance issue.

it has to be the tires i wouldnt worry about anything else on your car like the brakes you mentioned. if your car worked fine before you put those wheels on it has to be the tires. they are probably unbalanced if the tread looks fine

As noted correctly above, it has to be the tires - or the wheels - since the problem goes away with a different set of tires and wheels.

The wheels/tires are probably out of balance. Although the most common cause of an out of balance condition is a wheel weight that fell off or a lack of balancing when the tires were first mounted, an out of balance condition can also be caused by a wheel that has been damaged, such as by hitting a pothole, which can cause it to be out of round.

nsxtasy said:
As noted correctly above, it has to be the tires - or the wheels - since the problem goes away with a different set of tires and wheels.

The wheels/tires are probably out of balance. Although the most common cause of an out of balance condition is a wheel weight that fell off or a lack of balancing when the tires were first mounted, an out of balance condition can also be caused by a wheel that has been damaged, such as by hitting a pothole, which can cause it to be out of round.

very true

Back