• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Problem with starting car

Need help, car will not start. Engine not cranking, battery is good. When turn key, the system charging light(the battery sign) is the only indicator light that lights up on cluster, everything works and lights up except for the clock when switch is on acc. All fuses are fine, can also hear fuel pump working. Any comments and help is greatly appreciated. Car is a 92 5-speed.

Thanks
John

Could be the ignition switch. I would clean and re-tighten the battery cables first, then if it still will not crank, try to jump it FOLLOWING the procedure in the owner's manual.

good luck

David is on the mark on this one. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the ignition switch. It's not a cheap part but it's something you can do yourself if you want. Good luck.

$52 NSXCA discount:).

You should have more then just the battery light though, so the ignition switch is definately a probable cause. Wiggle it and if other lights start flickering on the dash, well:).

The other possibilities are the security system and the clutch pedal switch that can cause the starter to not crank.

HTH,
LarryB

I would check the clutch switch, and check ALL fuses in the engine bay fuse box. I had a car that had this issue and it was a fuse that powered up the secruity system.

HTH,
LarryB

You can also check the starter setup by putting +12Volt to the starter solenoid. In the engine compartment there is a +12Volt termial in the fuse box area and it's used for jump starts and such. Just run a connection from there to the solenoid termianl on the starter. It's the one that's covered with a small wire on the starter. If it turns over and starts and keeps running, then it would be someting in the circuit to that solenoid. It might be a fuse, or an acutal OPEN to that circuit. Look into the manual for wiring help and trace it out from there.

Good luck.

Just want to thank everyone for their help, got the car running it was one of the interior fuse that was bad, even though it looked fine. A fuse can look fine and be bad....

thx

J

Hello fellow NSX brothers and sisters........
I have followed this thread and tested all of my plug in fuses at the three fuse boxes with a fuse tester. Everything appears to be working and visual inspections of the larger screw in fuses look fine. However, I get no response when trying to start the car. I get all gauges and idiot lights on the dash when I turn on the ignition, but I have a completely dark climate control and stereo headunit. My headlights pop up and all external lights are working. Everything was working perfectly on my '95 until the battery drained and could not turnover the engine. When I tried to jump start it from the engine compartment fuse box, the alarm system sounded and would not turn off.
I tried to turn it off manually by locking and unlocking the driver door lock with my key, but that didn't work either. I was nearly deaf when I finally gave up discontinued the jump start. I called Tustin Acura in So. Cal and they tech recommended that I disconnect the negative cable on the battery in an effort to reset the security system. I did that and went one step further by installing a new battery. I still am unable to start the car and noticed the dark panels previously mentioned. Oh, one more thing, I can't move or recline the power seats as well. It seems obvious to me that there is an electical or electronic problem with my car.........but I am dead in the water..........please help.

Thanks...........Rich

sgrmrcl said:
...I have a completely dark climate control and stereo headunit. ... I can't move or recline the power seats as well..
All of these functions come from different fuses: the stereo power comes from the ign sw in ACC and the A/C from the switch in Ign2 - but they do both feed from fuse 12 (large screw in fuse) on the main panel in the engine bay, before coming individually through fuses # 8 & #4 respectively, in the dash fuse panel.; the driver & pass seat forward & recline all come directly from battery power via 4 seperate fuses (19, 20, 22 & 23) also in the main fuse panel.

If you have already checked all the fuses (& it would be very strange to lose all these seperate functions simultaneously): Since you already replaced the battery, (which may have been a prime candidate) then I would be suspecting
1) a broken ground cable (or bad connection) from the battery
or
2) the power cable between the battery & the main fuse box.
(in order of likelihood IMO)

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991servman.pdf page 1003 for the main ground connections.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• fusebox.JPG
    fusebox.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 317
Larry Bastanza said:
I would check the clutch switch, and check ALL fuses in the engine bay fuse box. I had a car that had this issue and it was a fuse that powered up the secruity system.

HTH,
LarryB

Where are the fuses for the security system?

The one I was refering to is in the engine bay fuse box. I cannot recall which one, but it was one of the smaller fuses, 10 or 20 amp I believe.

HTH,
LarryB

Back