• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

problem with temp gauge...

i tried the search function and couldn't find anything relevant on the subject. basically, this car has been reliable with me through and through. i drove it from oklahoma back to california without a glitch. yesterday, i did the hwy25 run out to hollister, 3/4 of the way there, the temp gauge reading started to drop. it went below the 1/4 marking and on the way back then it went all the way down as if i the ignition was off. the engine was running fine, oil pressure was fine.

anyone know what the problem is? someone told me it was the sending unit. if so, where is the sending unit and how do i go about fixing it. any info would be fine. thanks.

Possibly thermostate needs replacement or air bubbles in the system need to be bleeded. Is your fan coming on?

Possibly thermostate needs replacement or air bubbles in the system need to be bleeded. Is your fan coming on?

I don't believe the thermostat is the problem. If the thermostat had failed open (not closed), the engine will take longer to warm up. But it WILL warm up. The gauge will read normally. Sounds like the sender failed.

The temp sending unit is next to the thermostat housing, (more to the left if you are standing on the left side of the car and closer to the engine) more or less under the throttle body, and next to where the two main cooling hoses are in the engine compartment. You don't need to remove anything to find it. If it is failing, replacing is the only option imo.

Attachments

• gauge sender 001.jpg
    gauge sender 001.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
i want to thank everyone for their replies, especially the one with the picture. that helps a lot. to clear things up, the car has no problem warming up in the morning(current residence, California:smile: ), the fans are not coming on even shortly after a spirited run through the hills. i will have this replaced shortly and i report back on whether the problem is gone or not. thanks.

peter

Back