• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Production started, according to Autoblog

Great. Exactly what I feared. Very disappointing. Shameful that they don't allow the iron rotor option for early adopters. I'd rather replace their presumed ~$3K extra profit from forcing this on me by paying $3,001.00 for a mandatory "Launch Edition" decal (or whatever).....

This is a heavy car that develops high speeds before braking zones. At track speeds, 90% of braking work is going to be good old friction brakes. I expect it to eat pads if pushed hard.

I've asked my dealer (who I think in in Ohio this week) to get details on consumables costs (iron v. carbon).

Oh well.....

Iron rotors are standard. Carbon brakes are an extra cost option - they are not a profit center, they do cost significantly more than iron brake systems. Super cars eat brake pads, eat tires, and simply cost more to maintain. A $200,000 car has a completely different cost structure than a $30,000 car and those that buy those six figure cars expect that without a flinch.

Iron rotors are standard. Carbon brakes are an extra cost option - they are not a profit center, they do cost significantly more than iron brake systems. Super cars eat brake pads, eat tires, and simply cost more to maintain. A $200,000 car has a completely different cost structure than a $30,000 car and those that buy those six figure cars expect that without a flinch.

I was told that I must pay for carbon brakes. If you know of a way of keeping a #1 build slot while skipping the carbon brakes, please share.

I have met zero people in the paddock who are indifferent between paying, for example, $250 per track day in pad+rotor consumption versus $500. In my experience, even people who spend a lot of money on cars and other toys like to see value for money....

Thanks for the on the ground information

Did they say what led to delaying the start of production?

I think they decided to offer the Targa for us early adopters after all!
Yeah Right...
OK, I'll wake up from my dream now.

They will offer the standard brake option 6 months after production starts.

I was told that I must pay for carbon brakes. If you know of a way of keeping a #1 build slot while skipping the carbon brakes, please share.

I have met zero people in the paddock who are indifferent between paying, for example, $250 per track day in pad+rotor consumption versus $500. In my experience, even people who spend a lot of money on cars and other toys like to see value for money....

When you take delivery, start bugging http://www.movitbrakesusa.com/ about CER rotors. For other cars (McLaren) they make drop-in replacement rotors that, while expensive, may last the lifetime of the vehicle vs the OEM carbon rotors which will wear especially under track conditions. So in time have positive ROI in dollars saved (over more-frequent OEM rotor replacements). I think they also make iron rotors for carbon-to-iron conversions. In both instances (iron/CER) I'm sure they don't already have a product for the new NSX...but probably only a matter of time until that changes.

Back