• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective buyer starting the research process.

You hit a lot of the pros and cons that I had when I was considering purchasing.

- zero depreciation - this is huge and very real. All you have to do is take decent care of it and you'll probably sell for more than you bought it for. This is the spot where some rich prick chimes in "it's a liability not an investment"... But I find something fundamentally cool in picking up such an awesome car that refuses to decrease in value.

- uselessness...... extremely useless. It's built to drive and that's it. You can barely go grocery shopping for lunchables in these things... I do throw my road bike on top via vacuum mounts though, that's as useful as it gets.

- longevity - it's rare to see people needing engine replacements, so many 200k (and even 300k) NSX's out there gives me the confidence that the probability of being a money pit is greatly lowered.

- insurance - your mileage may vary on this one. Everybody is different so you can't even plot out trends, just get a quote. I'll tell you this though, when I was 29 and single I had a ITR/E46 M3 and NSX on my policy all at the same time. Guess which one was the least expensive? (hint: it's the one that you would want to be)

Last edited:
I live in North Georgia and have been considering selling my 93 NSX as I just am not using it as much as I thought. It is red with black top and has less than 69,000 miles on it. I had belt service and water pump done since I purchased (still under warranty!), as well as brakes and changed all fluids. Car is stock except for larger BBS wheels and tires. I have original rims as well which come with car with good rubber on tires. If you look in new owner forum you can see my original thread when I joined Prime and added a few photos. Classic insurance, as I have a daily driver that I use is about $800 per year with an agreed value for comp/collision coverage with no deductible. Car could easily be a daily driver, but I think you are better off using a different car as daily driver and keep miles low on the NSX. Price is $37,500 firm.

I've taken long trips and the only issue has been my loud exhaust. And not for me but for my girlfriend who brought her noise canceling headphones and wore them the whole trip. LOL.... There is plenty of room in the footwell for snacks, drinks, small bag, and the trunk is quite usable and not far away. The seats can recline a bit, but I never found it necessary to do so. They are very comfy.

That's good to hear. My girlfriend complains about the exhaust in the STi from time to time. She is not a car person at all (we saw a Ford GT at a restaraunt the other day and she thought it was "hideous") but she likes the STi more than most.

You hit a lot of the pros and cons that I had when I was considering purchasing.

- zero depreciation - this is huge and very real. All you have to do is take decent care of it and you'll probably sell for more than you bought it for. This is the spot where some rich prick chimes in "it's a liability not an investment"... But I find something fundamentally cool in picking up such an awesome car that refuses to decrease in value.

- uselessness...... extremely useless. It's built to drive and that's it. You can barely go grocery shopping for lunchables in these things... I do throw my road bike on top via vacuum mounts though, that's as useful as it gets.

- longevity - it's rare to see people needing engine replacements, so many 200k (and even 300k) NSX's out there gives me the confidence that the probability of being a money pit is greatly lowered.

- insurance - your mileage may vary on this one. Everybody is different so you can't even plot out trends, just get a quote. I'll tell you this though, when I was 29 and single I had a ITR/E46 M3 and NSX on my policy all at the same time. Guess which one was the least expensive? (hint: it's the one that you would want to be)

The depreciation is a huge thing. I've thought that if I bought an NSX and just decided it wasn't for me, I could easily trade back into a newer STi than the one I have now since those will only continue depreciating. I'm not sure how realistic that is though.

I live in North Georgia and have been considering selling my 93 NSX as I just am not using it as much as I thought. It is red with black top and has less than 69,000 miles on it. I had belt service and water pump done since I purchased (still under warranty!), as well as brakes and changed all fluids. Car is stock except for larger BBS wheels and tires. I have original rims as well which come with car with good rubber on tires. If you look in new owner forum you can see my original thread when I joined Prime and added a few photos. Classic insurance, as I have a daily driver that I use is about $800 per year with an agreed value for comp/collision coverage with no deductible. Car could easily be a daily driver, but I think you are better off using a different car as daily driver and keep miles low on the NSX. Price is $37,500 firm.

Rich, the car sounds great. Unfortunately after tax the car is well out of my price range. The wheels look great. Thanks for the offer.

That does bring me to my next question though. Are there any NSX owners in the north Georgia area would would feel comfortable letting me have a little drive/ride or even an in depth walk-around to get a better feel for the car? I feel a bit like I'm flying blind at this point. That would be extremely helpful. I realize that a drive may be a lot to ask but even getting to spend good time up close with one would be beneficial for me.

Last edited:
You need to post in the regional sections not here. And with a clear question in the subject line. I have let others see my car before to help them. I only ask for a bottle of mad dog, a carton of marlboroughs, and a couple of dem girly magazines in return.

You need to post in the regional sections not here. And with a clear question in the subject line. I have let others see my car before to help them. I only ask for a bottle of mad dog, a carton of marlboroughs, and a couple of dem girly magazines in return.

That sounds reasonable. Hopefully I can substitute hookers & blow since I have a surplus at the moment (sounds impossible, I know).

Hopefully I can substitute hookers & blow since I have a surplus at the moment (sounds impossible, I know).

Yeah sure... I'm not hard to please... Always willing to work with potential NSX buyers. :D

That sounds reasonable. Hopefully I can substitute hookers & blow since I have a surplus at the moment (sounds impossible, I know).

I like this guy. We need to find him a car. He'll fit right in with this crowd.

I like this guy. We need to find him a car. He'll fit right in with this crowd.

I can already tell I'd have more fun with this crowd than the subaru crowd. At least here the "hellaflush JDM tite yo" seems to be kept to a minumum.

Are there any members here who are also Rennlist members? there seems to be a lot of overlap with the type of people who enjoy porsche and NSX.

Also as an update to my search, I have found a couple cars that look promising. I've decided that I want either black or sebring silver. I don't really like red that much but I'd jump at a really good deal.

I searched for this vin, didn't find any info though. If I can find a car near this price in good condition when it comes time to buy (Should be ready in 2 months), I think I would be happy. That would leave me extra money to go through the car myself and make sure everything is completely sorted. Of course I only know what I see in the ad. Here it is:

LINK

That's not all stock at all. There is an 02+ apron, aftermarket exhaust, intake, and wheels. I bet there was more and removed. This car looks familiar somehow.

I'm chiming in a little late here but here's what I would do.
Find an NSX with as few owners as possible that has records of maintenance done by a reputable shop ( like Larry B).
Don't be concerned where the car is located. One of life's great experiences is buying an NSX then taking it for a long road trip home.

Spend the first year learning to drive the car until you have reached it's limits.
Today many cars will out accelerate an NSX, but few will beat an NSX driven on winding roads by a capable driver who knows the limits of his car.

If after a year of learning you find you want to go faster, then there are many well researched proven options to give you more power, better braking, better suspension.
Many members of Prime have enormous experience in modifying the NSX and will prove invaluable.

I personally believe the NSX is the most undervalued sports car made and if you do buy one and do the maintenance and mods yourself you will see all the areas of engineering and design that make the car special.

That's not all stock at all. There is an 02+ apron, aftermarket exhaust, intake, and wheels. I bet there was more and removed. This car looks familiar somehow.

Anytime I see a car in a dealer ad I take it with a grain of salt most of the salesmen and managers know little to nothing about any of the cars they sell, but I'm sure you know that. Before I could ever consider moving on something like that, I'd have to get someone to see the car for me and get an independent PPI without a doubt.

That being said I don't like the later rear apron (I think that's what you are referring to) the wheels and I can't say since I haven't heard the exhaust. All those things would be sold off right away.

I'm chiming in a little late here but here's what I would do.
Find an NSX with as few owners as possible that has records of maintenance done by a reputable shop ( like Larry B).
Don't be concerned where the car is located. One of life's great experiences is buying an NSX then taking it for a long road trip home.

Spend the first year learning to drive the car until you have reached it's limits.
Today many cars will out accelerate an NSX, but few will beat an NSX driven on winding roads by a capable driver who knows the limits of his car.

If after a year of learning you find you want to go faster, then there are many well researched proven options to give you more power, better braking, better suspension.
Many members of Prime have enormous experience in modifying the NSX and will prove invaluable.

I personally believe the NSX is the most undervalued sports car made and if you do buy one and do the maintenance and mods yourself you will see all the areas of engineering and design that make the car special.

I'm not at all concerned with the location. I will fly to anywhere in the CONUS and in fact $1000 of my budget for this car is set aside just for travel. Finding a car locally would allow me to spend that much more on the car, but I'm open to anything.

I don't think the power thing is going to bug me. The STi is slower than my 951 was, but It doesn't bother me because the car is so fun to drive. I anticipate feeling the same way about NSX, but I haven't ever driven one to find out.

You might be the first person in the history of prime who would get rid of the 02+ apron for the old one. LOL... at least you'll have plenty of takers willing to swap with you.

Anytime I see a car in a dealer ad I take it with a grain of salt most of the salesmen and managers know little to nothing about any of the cars they sell, but I'm sure you know that. Before I could ever consider moving on something like that, I'd have to get someone to see the car for me and get an independent PPI without a doubt.

I'm not at all concerned with the location. I will fly to anywhere in theCONUS and in fact $1000 of my budget for this car is set aside just for travel. Finding a car locally would allow me to spend that much more on the car, but I'm open to anything.

I hear you there. I drove my NSX to the Acura Dealership to pick up a gasket for my 2005 Acura TL and the sales person had no clue what an NSX was, or even who made it.

Also are you military.

I hear you there. I drove my NSX to the Acura Dealership to pick up a gasket for my 2005 Acura TL and the sales person had no clue what an NSX was, or even who made it.

Also are you military.

No, I'm not military.

I've had some similar experiences although not as extreme when dealing with porsche parts counters.

Me "I need a dipstick tube o-ring for an 86 944 turbo"...

Them: "So what kind of 911 is that?" :confused:

Me: "Is there someone... else... back there that I can talk to?"

- - - Updated - - -

You might be the first person in the history of prime who would get rid of the 02+ apron for the old one. LOL... at least you'll have plenty of takers willing to swap with you.

I definitely prefer the classic look in that regard. I'm also not a fan of sideskirts on the NSX. Of course there are many beautiful NSX with sideskirts, I just prefer the classic lines :)

You prefer the OEM oval exhaust tips and the fat 5 wheels too? Like all 1992 original look?

You prefer the OEM oval exhaust tips and the fat 5 wheels too? Like all 1992 original look?

Actually I don't mind the factory wheels but I must admit I prefer the later OEM wheels to the original donuts. I think the only thing from the "classic" NSX look that I'm not a huge fan of would have to be the contrasting roof/body color, especially on a red car. I would totally rock a bone stock black/black 91, but realistically I'll probably end up putting some modern wheels on any car I own, and the looks of the factory exhaust don't bother me so much as how quiet it is.

I like the original style rear valance because to me it evokes the style of many older LeMans race cars. The car has an undeniable 90's feel to it and I'm alright with that. It's a classic!

Dave
Surely you mean that all 1991 original look.
Lovely to hear our prospective new owner appreciates the classic look of the original car.
I knew there were classy buyers out there somewhere :)
Jim

Last edited:
The car he posted about was a 1992.

I had to re-read his post 3 times before it soaked in LOL.

I have a Black rear 91 valance i'd trade ;)

As you can see from Shawn's car the NSX has plenty of extra cargo space.
It is great for trips.
With the long tail, it also makes a decent pickup for transporting body parts, etc.

shawnnsxa.jpg

shawnnsx.jpg

If you are patient and keep your eyes open you can find a decent NSX in your price point.

A member on prime who lives in my area picked up a 91 NSX off eBay last year for $22k. The seller didn't set a minimum bid. It sounded like the owner wanted to set the minimum bid at $29k but didn't.

The car had ~100k miles on it, but the seats had been recovered and it is a nice car. It is one of the few with the fake wood grain interiors. It came with the original brick Acura cell phone, which the current owner has removed.

He lucked out and picked up a good deal.

I like the original style rear valance because to me it evokes the style of many older LeMans race cars. The car has an undeniable 90's feel to it and I'm alright with that. It's a classic!
Add my vote in as well - the body elements that were added in on the 2002 are boxy and take away from the curves of the car. Pre-2002 valence and side skirts have a nicer look.

those pictures are great. I think that's awesome.

I'm pretty timid about the idea of an ebay car unless I can have someone check it out before I bid. I've seen some bad ebay cars purchased by people I know.

As you can see from Shawn's car the NSX has plenty of extra cargo space.
It is great for trips.
With the long tail, it also makes a decent pickup for transporting body parts, etc.

View attachment 98937

View attachment 98938

If you are patient and keep your eyes open you can find a decent NSX in your price point.

A member on prime who lives in my area picked up a 91 NSX off eBay last year for $22k. The seller didn't set a minimum bid. It sounded like the owner wanted to set the minimum bid at $29k but didn't.

The car had ~100k miles on it, but the seats had been recovered and it is a nice car. It is one of the few with the fake wood grain interiors. It came with the original brick Acura cell phone, which the current owner has removed.

He lucked out and picked up a good deal.

Well, I went up to visit nsxbaby and drove his '91 NSX. I learned a lot of things. Number one, the car definitely has enough power (his car has headers and exhaust). Number two, the exhaust note, which I thought might be underwhelming, was superb. The car has a great feel to it and the feeling of quality was reminiscent of the older Porsches. The handling is great and the car is extremely capable. I can only imagine how stable the car must feel at high speeds.

The downsides I see are this: It's possible that the car is too well refined for my purposes. The car feels so solid and confident at every point. There is very little drama involved with driving the NSX even at higher speeds. It's limits of handling are vast and that could make it difficult to enjoy them every day. In contrast my STi is an extremely silly car with massive amounts of torque that snarls and grunts and is about as well behaved as a kid farting in church.

Part of that could be due to the fact that I was driving someone elses car so obviously I wasn't driving it at the ragged edge all the time. It's also partly because I would need some time to get used to the feel of the gearbox and clutch (which is great). Either way it gives me more to consider as a search for a good NSX.

the nsx was built to have low nvh and as such it can feel like a GT car on the highway..but it is a sublime sportscar that gets better the harder you drive it.

Back