• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective owner question: Is the NSX too rare/valuable now to drive and enjoy?

Welcome!

That's a great question. I've owned mine for over 14yrs now. It's only been perhaps the last half of those years the thought of selling comes to mind every so often. I'll be honest, if I was buying one today I probably would skip it and move onto another platform, most likely a Porsche. However, after owning one and having driven so many other cars (GT4, Evora, 12C, 650S, S2000) in an attempt to replace my NA1, none of those would be a like for like replacement, nor do I think they'd be better in terms of the right balance of rawness, driving engagement, and driver connectivity. All of the other cars I mentioned were faster, smoother, more refined (except for the S2000), but I think i'd miss my NSX too much. One could say i'm simply used to it. It's like an old pair of jeans. Sure... I accept that, which is why i'm saying if I was in the market now, having never owned one.............. ignorance is bliss!!!

p.s. one major annoyance I'm dealing with now is the ever stricter CA smog requirements. pretty soon it'll be impossible to own this car in CA with the way things are going. even if my car's emissions are clean (it soon will be very clean) i'll still fail because it's not "stock" or have CARB approved parts.

Here's a sampling of why i'd miss it.
https://youtu.be/WrW7uhPphw8

DRIFTER! I've been reading up on the SLC for over a year - blogs everything - I am in North Jersey - I'd love to stop by this Summer when everything clears up and see it. Mainly I was determining if I'm actually the type of person that should build one. Of course I'll bring the NSX - here and there I go to Lime Rock just to smell burning brakes and have a hot dog too.

Definitely we can meet up when the weather gets nicer and the roads clear up. They are not cheap to build. Your better off buying one someone who hasn’t completed there’s. I tried to buy the one I got now in parts but we couldn’t come to a n agreement on price. He sold it to a guy that sent it to Allen (the guy that finishes them off real nice). He builds a ton of cars dose really nice work. Allen finished the car for the guy and I snagged it for a great deal it’s only got 500miles on the LS build. I’m pulling the motor this week to figure out why it’s getting low oil pressure. I think the pick up and pump were installed incorrectly. I don’t want to drive it until I look over the motor. But that should be taken care of this week. Hopefully cars and coffee / Bear mountain start up soon.

It will be 11 years in a few months since I bought mine with 60k miles on it. Now at 188k and 128k miles of smiles I'd say have driven it just a little:biggrin: Remember it's a Honda and was meant to be driven, not sit in a garage. Going on monthly drives, to monthly meets and all the other events we have here in SoCal have made it a pure pleasure to own. The NSX community or "family" as I like to call us is like no other!! I finally stopped daily diving it about a year and half ago but still drive it every weekend and to work 2 or 3 times a month so still driving it regularly.

I like the years you are looking at. Still has the pop ups, 3.2 with a 6 speed and the targa top (off) is great during the warmer months. Good luck with your search. I don't think you will be disappointed with owning (and driving) one.

No.

Seeeend it
6b3aa60f5642002a9ab39242b618648e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you will attend the the Mideast NSX Meet and you will be still on a fence to buy or not, I'll let you drive my 97 NSX with 200+ K miles. To have an NSX is great , but people you meet and places you visit on the way is priceless.

I'll absolutely take you up on the offer if I'm still looking for a car by then, thanks! And at the very least the event sounds like a great opportunity to see a lot of NSX's and meet good people.

Welcome!

That's a great question. I've owned mine for over 14yrs now. It's only been perhaps the last half of those years the thought of selling comes to mind every so often. I'll be honest, if I was buying one today I probably would skip it and move onto another platform, most likely a Porsche. However, after owning one and having driven so many other cars (GT4, Evora, 12C, 650S, S2000) in an attempt to replace my NA1, none of those would be a like for like replacement, nor do I think they'd be better in terms of the right balance of rawness, driving engagement, and driver connectivity. All of the other cars I mentioned were faster, smoother, more refined (except for the S2000), but I think i'd miss my NSX too much. One could say i'm simply used to it. It's like an old pair of jeans. Sure... I accept that, which is why i'm saying if I was in the market now, having never owned one.............. ignorance is bliss!!!

p.s. one major annoyance I'm dealing with now is the ever stricter CA smog requirements. pretty soon it'll be impossible to own this car in CA with the way things are going. even if my car's emissions are clean (it soon will be very clean) i'll still fail because it's not "stock" or have CARB approved parts.

Here's a sampling of why i'd miss it.
https://youtu.be/WrW7uhPphw8

That sound is amazing! From what everyone here is saying, there really seems to be something special about the car that's greater than the sum of its parts. Few other sports cars are kept as long as many owners here have held onto their NSX's which says a lot.

Last edited:
That sound is amazing! From what everyone here is saying, there really seems to be something special about the car that's greater than the sum of its parts. Few other sports cars are kept as long as many owners here have held onto their NSX's which says a lot.

I hope you get the opportunity to test drive one in the near future. It might seal the deal on your decision making.
You've heard of the general warning to never meet your heroes. Don't worry, this won't be disappointment.

For example, when I was shopping, I found one that has been baked in the sun. Cosmetically, it needed a lot of work, but mechanically it was solid. During my test drive, I had a smile from ear to ear. At that point, I could care less for the faded sun damaged paint and only focused on the driving experience. I did not want the test drive to end. In the end, we could not agree on the price and I did not buy that particular one. It okay, because it lead me on my journey to the one sitting in my garage today.

It took me a while to find the perfect example that fit my needs, so be patient as you look around. It is out there somewhere.
BaT is a nice place, but sometimes feels like a piranha feeding frenzy. Plus with just a week, it can be difficult to schedule a PPE. (ask me how I know..haha)
I got mine here on Prime. :)

Last edited:
[MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] is absolutely correct. The NSX is "just rare enough" to be special but not "so rare" that it is a unicorn that should never level the safety of a climate controlled garage. I absolutely love taking mine out and putting on miles...usually get about 8K a year (only 5.5K in 2020 because no NSXPO road trip...) and I always have a smile on my face when I get done driving the car. They are getting more expensive, but with the right insurance, you don't have to worry (as much). Some of the collector car insurance companies are now offering - on top of "agreed value" coverage - "cherished Salvaged" coverage which allows you to keep the totaled car in addition to getting your agreed value payout. That allows up to get a "new" NSX and have a "parts car" to help maintain your new car running. This is also something to consider if you have done significant modifications to an NSX and would want to "swap over" the aftermarket parts.

Here's the info on the NSXCA Mideast Region meet in Raleigh this spring. That would be the best opportunity to see a bunch of different "types" of NSXs (coupe, targa, 3.0L/5 speed, 3.2L/6 speed, 3.0L/automatics) and help with the decision making...

The annual regional event for the NSXCA, the Mideast NSX Meet in Raleigh, NC is back after cancellation last year. the dates are May 21 - 22 -23. The host hotel is the Hilton Garden Inn. We have secured VERY reasonable room rates (King -$79 - Double Queen - $85 - Jr Suite - $89). See below the link for room reservations - They can be cancelled with no penalty - 48 hours before arrival.
Please use the link below for Hilton Garden Inn Room Reservations.
NSX MidEast Meet - Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Cary booking link
Please NOTE - when you click on the link, if it does not open to the NSX Meet Rates, CLICK the window for Special Rates and then type in NSX in the window for Group Code - then Click on UPDATE. Thanks
https://www.hilton.com/en/book/rese...umAdults=1&cid=OM,WW,HILTONLINK,en,DirectLink

As is typical for Prime, the community here really comes through with the relevant data for a prospective new owner!

I'm an admitted track-focused guy so really appreciate the raw analog experience the early NSX coupes provide.
We have a 1st year S2000 for the same reasons :cool:
There is nothing else out there that will give you the feel and just overall driving dynamics that the NSX provides, so you need to experience one (or a few ;-) to see if you agree.
Sure, they are aging cars now, but the upside as previously mentioned is the ability to buy agreed-value Insurance policies.....plus in Michigan at least 26 year old+ cars can run Historic Plates which makes their carrying costs extremely low.

I can't wait to pop the covers off of our NSX's/S2000 and get on with the 2021 driving season :biggrin:

I'm an admitted track-focused guy so really appreciate the raw analog experience the early NSX coupes provide.
We have a 1st year S2000 for the same reasons :cool:
There is nothing else out there that will give you the feel and just overall driving dynamics that the NSX provides, so you need to experience one (or a few ;-) to see if you agree.
Sure, they are aging cars now, but the upside as previously mentioned is the ability to buy agreed-value Insurance policies.....plus in Michigan at least 26 year old+ cars can run Historic Plates which makes their carrying iextremely low.

About those early coupes, how difficult is the day-to-day manual steering effort around cities and in parking garages if I were to say, install a 350mm steering wheel with lightweight 17x8 front wheels (215/40 tires) and I'm a regular dude with regular-dude arm strength lol.

On a 1-10 scale of: 1. "No problem just different" ----- 3. "Little more effort but not really an issue" ----- 6. "It's kind of a pain...but you just deal with/get used to it" ----- 8. "It sucks. No way around it. Maybe look for a later year for the EPS" ----- 10. "It's almost unbearable"

Yeah I get it's an individual preference but coming from someone who's only driven cars with power steering, is it basically like trying to steer a car in neutral with the engine off?

Last edited:
I have a 96, the pws deactivates after 16 mph or so ...I have driven a 91 and the parking lot maneuvers are a 5 compared to the 2 of my 96...I of course have uuuuuge ripped and shredded arms...:tongue:

The OEM manual rack is sublime, but why did I retrofit a S2000 EPS rack you might ask? The manual rack is certainly acceptable if you can roll while you turn your Momo 350mm. It's significant arm effort on a track alignment on 215s. I wanted the quick ratio and I have to do a 3pt turn on cobblestone pavers everytime I pull the NSX out of the garage. I'm not turning back anytime soon but I'm not selling my manual rack either.

About those early coupes, how difficult is the day-to-day manual steering effort around cities and in parking garages if I were to say, install a 350mm steering wheel with lightweight 17x8 front wheels (215/40 tires) and I'm a regular dude with regular-dude arm strength lol.

On a 1-10 scale of: 1. "No problem just different" ----- 3. "Little more effort but not really an issue" ----- 6. "It's kind of a pain...but you just deal with/get used to it" ----- 8. "It sucks. No way around it. Maybe look for a later year for the EPS" ----- 10. "It's almost unbearable"

Yeah I get it's an individual preference but coming from someone who's only driven cars with power steering, is it basically like trying to steer a car in neutral with the engine off?

At parking lot speeds of course you'll notice the extra effort turning the steering wheel, but a bone stock manual rack NSX is not too bad...let's call it a 3.

Now, a smaller steering wheel and a larger tire & wheel set will increase the effort quite a bit but again really only at parking lot speeds.

I had a 17/18" setup on an otherwise stock NSX for years, and recently went back to the original 15/16 wheels.....which did make the steering feel a bit lighter.

Let's put it this way, my wife drove the car in both configurations with no issues :wink:

Manual Steering is fine!...easy, light and better feel. My 96 Coupe has factory manual steering, works well.
Power steer is also great!
Any NSX is a fine thing.

Last edited:
^ I concur, my NSX has a manual steering rack, something that I was looking for during my search for the car 6+ years ago, as there were many stories of failed EPS systems around that time, and I wanted to be able to spec the car in as pure a form as possible.
I don't find it a pain, as I don't drive the car into tight spots (aside from my own driveway and garage...) often, as it isn't a daily driver.

The trade-off with a manual rack (superb feel vs. increased low-speed effort) is that the ratio required for this balance means it's more rotations lock-to-lock.
This isn't really a problem in normal driving, but on track it will mean you likely can't just place your hands at 3 & 9 o'clock for an entire lap.....you'll have to shuffle-steer (hand-over-hand) at the tighter turns.
No big deal really, but thought that it should at least be mentioned in this conversation :wink:

I might also add that with a manual rack once the front end gets away (like in a spin) it's more difficult to correct as the muscle effort required becomes exponential the more out of sorts it gets.

For aggressive driving, I really like the quick ratio EPS for our chassis. For casual, Sunday morning drives, without the need to parallel park (lol) the manual rack is hard to beat.

The trade-off with a manual rack (superb feel vs. increased low-speed effort) is that the ratio required for this balance means it's more rotations lock-to-lock.
This isn't really a problem in normal driving, but on track it will mean you likely can't just place your hands at 3 & 9 o'clock for an entire lap.....you'll have to shuffle-steer (hand-over-hand) at the tighter turns.
No big deal really, but thought that it should at least be mentioned in this conversation :wink:

I might also add that with a manual rack once the front end gets away (like in a spin) it's more difficult to correct as the muscle effort required becomes exponential the more out of sorts it gets.

For aggressive driving, I really like the quick ratio EPS for our chassis. For casual, Sunday morning drives, without the need to parallel park (lol) the manual rack is hard to beat.

Very true, often dialing in the right amount of opposite lock to correct a slide isn't the problem....but getting it back out fast enough often can be.
With a manual rack, it's more steering wheel motion to get in AND out quickly.
Getting the steering input OUT quickly can be the greater challenge!
I marvel at a video of Senna lapping Suzuka in 1992 for many reasons, but especially his hand placement and when after cranking in 'a dab of oppo' he briefly lets go of the steering wheel to let the caster quickly unwind/recenter the steering wheel :cool:

I tried that on VIR's wet skid pad when we had NSXPO in North Carolina......and, it works!

Drive it as Mother Honda intended... and keep it clean too (best of both worlds)

Back