• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective San Jose Owner Looking for First Ride in NSX

Hi Folks,

First off apologies if this post is inappropriate or forbidden. Mods please delete if this is the case.

I've been lurking on here for some time and just recently signed up. Cool Forum! I discovered Prime through the Rennlist Porsche site and it came highly recommended.

It seems like yesterday that I walked into Steven's Creek Acura in Santa Clara and saw my first NSX. The year was 1990 and I was in high school and not really into cars. Man was that cool looking! Exotic, yet distinctly Japanese. I loved it. It is one of the few cars that really struck a nerve, the feeling of which is still with me today. Over the years I owned a small handful of sports cars, but always had a thing for the NSX.

I am now in the fortunate position to be able to afford an early NSX. Being financially prudent and a believer in the old adage 'business before pleasure' I would want to sell off some toys first so that total guilt doesn't set in. There are of course a couple of problems.

One issue is that I am unsure if it is worth it (to me) to shed both my motorcycle and turbo porsche for one. Another problem is that I have never even ridden or even sat in an NSX, which is something I feel like I should do prior to committing to moving on from what I have now.

So...I am wondering if some kind soul in the South Bay (Norcal) would graciously offer me a short ride in their car, preferably on some roads with curves (i.e. 9 or 17)? I am really hoping for an early car in as close to stock condition as possible as this is what I am targeting for my own purchase, however I won't be picky and will take what I can get. I am in West San Jose within 3 miles of Campbell, Willow Glen Cupertino and Los Gatos, and can meet you in a public place of your choosing.

Unfortunately I have nothing to offer except a return ride in my own car which although isn't an NSX still scoots along just fine and even handles pretty well.

Please PM me if you think you might be able to help a prospective owner out. This would be a great favor and help me to make a big decision.

Thanks for reading :smile:

Welcome :smile: Nice Story... I felt the same way when I first saw the NSX. It took me 17 years but I eventually aquired one. It was all that I thought it would be, and more. A good set of headers and exhaust really wake up the early cars. You may want to consider that if you do pick one up.

There are quite a few owners in that area so I think your chances of getting a ride are pretty good.

Good Luck on your decision.

Welcome!

My first dream car was a black Porsche 930. I still hope to pick one up one of these days just so I can stare at it in the garage.

I'd offer up a ride in my car but it's not quite stock (Comptech supercharger and NSX-R suspension.) :redface:

Otto

There are some cars that you really DO NOT need a ride in first.....the NSX is one of them! :wink:

I bought both my GT3 and NSX sight un-seen...

Not to disrespect the P-car brand but unless you have a 997 GT3 or 997 Turbo, CGT, etc the NSX is superior in every way

So...I am wondering if some kind soul in the South Bay (Norcal) would graciously offer me a short ride in their car, preferably on some roads with curves (i.e. 9 or 17)?

Lurk over in the NorCal board and see if any local meets are coming up. Post in there; I'm sure someone will have an open seat available for a ride along. Maybe even me...

I would let you drive my car but I don't live close to you. I want to get a 911 turbo or GT3 next down the road. I go to enough PCA events to love those cars by now.

I would be willing to let you ride in mine. Bring your turbo Porsche (just to make sure your serious) and I will take you up on that offer to drive yours.

Mine is just about stock with only headers, exhaust and intake which is something you would probably want to do anyway.

I work in Hayward and will be driving the NSX tomorrow. I get off around 5 if you want to meet up. Problem is there will be a lot of traffic around that time.

I live out in Tracy which is far from San Jose but if you want to come out on Saturday we can meet up then.

Or maybe you will get a better offer from someone closer. Good luck. :smile:

I'd offer up a ride in my car but it's not quite stock (Comptech supercharger and NSX-R suspension.

Thanks, but after some soul searching I have decided I want the NA experience before FI.

Lurk over in the NorCal board and see if any local meets are coming up. Post in there; I'm sure someone will have an open seat available for a ride along. Maybe even me...

Thanks for the tip, kinda weird though to show up at an exclusive meet without the car.

There are some cars that you really DO NOT need a ride in first.....the NSX is one of them!

Probably true, but for the price of entry I don't want to take my chances. I might just roll the dice though and see what happens. I miss having a Japanese sports car, even though my last, an FC RX7 was always in the shop.

Not to disrespect the P-car brand but unless you have a 997 GT3 or 997 Turbo, CGT, etc the NSX is superior in every way

Superior is a pretty subjective term. There are many things I like about the NSX, but having never been in one this statement remains a hard pill to swallow. Take for example build quality... For the price of entry on an NSX I would expect the build quality to match or exceed the 993 Carrera. Ever shut the door on a 993? It is like a bank vault! If the NSX build quality is on par with the 996 it might be a deal breaker for me. Anyone with first hand experience with both cars have any insight?

Thanks for the replies!

I would be willing to let you ride in mine. Bring your turbo Porsche (just to make sure your serious) and I will take you up on that offer to drive yours.

Mine is just about stock with only headers, exhaust and intake which is something you would probably want to do anyway.

I work in Hayward and will be driving the NSX tomorrow. I get off around 5 if you want to meet up. Problem is there will be a lot of traffic around that time.

I live out in Tracy which is far from San Jose but if you want to come out on Saturday we can meet up then.

Or maybe you will get a better offer from someone closer. Good luck. :smile:

Thanks Dhalsim, (nice SFII reference by the way). I might take you up on your offer if some planned test rides don't work out. I don't need to sell both of my recreational vehicles to afford an NSX, but it would be nice to have the room in the garage!

Anyway I think I have met you before at a meet or two. Did you used to own a 1986 burgundy 951 tuned by Andial?

Last edited:
A BIG thanks to Ken C., ChopsJazz, for meeting up with me tonight, in the post rain soaked south bay no less. Ken took a risk and helped out a complete stranger by not only taking me for an amazing first ride in his incredible '91 but also for letting me drive it! :biggrin:

First impressions...LOVE the Forgelines, they look very cool on the car...love the polished look on a silver car. Ken also has some neat carbon fiber bits that really set his car apart. The silver looks especially nice in person.

The doors, I am happy to report, are every bit as solid as the pre 1999 Porsche cars, closing with a nice heavy "thunk". Build quality is very high. Great to see such tight gaps between body panels and attention to detail.

The interior is all business with nice clean lines and hand stitched leather galore. I now understand when people say it "fits like a glove". It definitely has that hand built high quality feel to it without being over the top. The steering wheel certainly looks bigger and chunkier in pictures and I was happy to see how svelte it is in person. Shifter throw is incredibly short and precise.

The ride started out docile enough as we weaved out of the parking lot. "That's excellent torque" I commented as the revs eased to 3.5k rpm. Then the accelerator was mashed and then I was thrown back in my seat and had flashbacks from a ride in a 350rwhp turbo porsche, except the giggles were louder, there was no lag and the thing just revved forever not to mention sounded 10 times better! At several points during the ride I thought we were going straight and was surprised by the last minute turns. I didn't think the car was going to make it. Man this thing really is on rails and no we aren't going to crash and burn! Amazing :eek:

A bit more about the induction and exhaust sounds...I have driven several 986 and 987 boxsters, been in some 993's and 996's...some with open exhaust systems and cone filters and NONE sound this good...not even close.

Fortunately when it was my turn to drive I managed not to stall it and even punched it a little bit on the expressway. Throttle response is lightening quick and sure does beat turbo lag. :smile: A three-point-turn in a residential was fairly effortless without the power steering and I think I would rather not have it as it keeps things simple and is one less thing to break. This is definitely a drivers car!

Overall the experience was amazing and has far exceeded my expectations.

Is it worth selling my P-car and motorcycle? Hell yeah! and in fact I don't even think I will be upset. Looking forward to joining the ranks of you folks with these awesome machines.

Thanks again Ken C.

I owe you one :smile:

Nice review. :smile: I knew someone would take you for a spin. Big Props to ChoppsJazz for being so nice. That's what is so cool about this site.

The NSX is just as fun and a lot safer than a bike. I have lost a good friend due to one of those. You won't miss the P-Car one bit.

I'm getting in here a little late but sounds like you have all your questions answered and have even gotten a ride from one our buddies - Ken. Chops is a great guy and like Doc said - that's what the Prime family is all about.

I had a 993 coupe - 96 and I understand that Chink when the door closes and it is vault like. Nothing sounds like that - not even our beloved NSXs. Sorry guys but that's the truth. As far as build quality - the Honda is wonderful and it's the bits you can't see as well as the ones you can. Now all that hand stiched leather is actually stiched vinyl for a large part. There is actually very little leather in the car - the seats are amazing though. I believe the center console arm rest and door panel arm rests and seats are the only leather in the whole car! Think that's right. The later model has one other part - the shift boot. That's it. Honda just does and excellent job stiching vinyl. The later models post 2001 are really nice inside. Not that the pre 2001 aren't. I find no problem with the cars interior comparitively speaking. The ergonomics are far superior but all Hondas are that way I find.

The NSX is faster than the 993 - and the 993 is fast! You will not be dissapointed and when it comes time to do work on it - you won't be surprised either. The 993s are expensive to work on and have some issues - I know a lot about those issues. Don't know which model you have but it could be one of the ones that is fairly bullet proof like the 3.2 Carrera.

Anyway good luck in your search and there is a lot to know about the NSX. You should have a lot of fun finding out about it. Keep us posted on your progress!

Now all that hand stiched leather is actually stiched vinyl for a large part. There is actually very little leather in the car - the seats are amazing though. I believe the center console arm rest and door panel arm rests and seats are the only leather in the whole car! Think that's right.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Leather

---snip---
Shifter throw is incredibly short and precise.

The ride started out docile enough as we weaved out of the parking lot. "That's excellent torque" I commented as the revs eased to 3.5k rpm. Then the accelerator was mashed and then I was thrown back in my seat and had flashbacks from a ride in a 350rwhp turbo porsche, except the giggles were louder, there was no lag and the thing just revved forever not to mention sounded 10 times better! At several points during the ride I thought we were going straight and was surprised by the last minute turns. I didn't think the car was going to make it. Man this thing really is on rails and no we aren't going to crash and burn! Amazing :eek:
---snip----
Thanks again Ken C.

I owe you one :smile:

Ken rocks, he installed my sways & suspension, and has done the same for a lot of other owners. Thanks Ken!

I figure Ken likely mentioned this to you, but I think these facts should be on this thread for some perspective. His car has some significant mods. The specific ones which relate to your above comments are: short shifter, lightened flywheel, short gears, type-r suspension, exhaust(+headers?). So, you've got some work to do to make a stock car feel like his!

-Josh

Ken keeps coming to my house. He was here Saturday AND Sunday. Could you guys think of some new projects for him so he won't have time to come over here?:wink:

Back