• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pruis galore

Anyone ever see that "Smug Alert" episode of South Park?? :) Few of my co-workers had Priuses over the years. They were acting a little snotty towards others when it came to car talk, which kinda turned me off Hybrids.

I like the car and wouldn't mind owning one (as long as it was black and not that baby blue sissy crap). :) However, some of the Edmunds comparisons I saw on youtube said that a Hybrid Camry or a Jetta TDI were actually very good alternatives as well. I like space so Camry looked like a better deal to me on Hybrids.

Speaking of better gas mileage, I am considering adding the "run-your-car-on-water" kit to my Integra to see if it actually works. I heard it does so maybe it's worth a try.

If I had to drive something good on gas I would be all over that Jetta TDI. IMO that is the car to have. No expensive batteries to replace and the seats are reasonably comfortable.

...our prius, whichactually gets 48 in town (and 55+ on the freeway.) (now ken's gonna chime in and make me feel small with his big mileage numbers :)

Okay, if I must. On a recent trip to Sacramento and back I averaged 84 mpg!!! (is that big enough?) My last few tanks, about 3K miles, I have averaged 69.5 mpg. That's combined city and highway.

Many say that I may never make up the difference in the initial cost of the car over the fuel savings, but I find myself spending only about $25 a week on average for gas. Often times I fill up (at +/- $41) only about every 3 weeks. To me, that's a HUGE savings.

Okay, if I must. On a recent trip to Sacramento and back I averaged 84 mpg!!! (is that big enough?) My last few tanks, about 3K miles, I have averaged 69.5 mpg. That's combined city and highway.

Many say that I may never make up the difference in the initial cost of the car over the fuel savings, but I find myself spending only about $25 a week on average for gas. Often times I fill up (at +/- $41) only about every 3 weeks. To me, that's a HUGE savings.

What did you do remove all non essential parts?

I see lots of Prius drivers on the road now too. I just wish they would slow down and take better advantage of their fuel efficient cars.

I see lots of Prius drivers on the road now too. I just wish they would slow down and take better advantage of their fuel efficient cars.
It's funny you say that. We let people take long trips in our priuses. The most comments I get when they return is "I catch myself doing 80mph so easily".

Last edited:
Most of the cabs here are Prius. They get smacked more than average.

A bee headed straight for my face when I took a close look inside the hive box. It stung me right between the eyes. It didn't hurt and the bee owner pulled out the stinger.

yowza! that's great mileage.

my wife and i looked @ an insight ~6 years (?) ago... i don't remember it being unreasonably expensive. seems to me @ today's fuel prices, even moderate driving over the years will put you ahead, cost-wise.

dang. 84mpg, 69.5 combined.

yowza! that's great mileage.

my wife and i looked @ an insight ~6 years (?) ago... i don't remember it being unreasonably expensive. seems to me @ today's fuel prices, even moderate driving over the years will put you ahead, cost-wise.

dang. 84mpg, 69.5 combined.

Thats what the people making hybrids want you to think. The truth is that vs there non hybrid counterparts it usually takes around 10 years to recover the premium spent on them.

They are statement cars, not money saving vehicles.

In an article i read recently they stated that only the Mercury Mariner makes sense as a hybrid option (financially speaking) because it would only take about 2 years to recover the additional costs. Those numbers don't even take into account the potential expensive maintenance costs those hybrids could have vs their traditional counterparts.

Thats what the people making hybrids want you to think. The truth is that vs there non hybrid counterparts it usually takes around 10 years to recover the premium spent on them.

In an article i read recently they stated that only the Mercury Mariner makes sense as a hybrid option (financially speaking) because it would only take about 2 years to recover the additional costs. Those numbers don't even take into account the potential expensive maintenance costs those hybrids could have vs their traditional counterparts.
our vehicles are as follows:

* 95 yukon w/80miles. (that's more than 10 years)
* 91 nsx w/37k miles. (that's more than 10 years)
* 95 honda goldwing motorcycle w/27k miles. (that's more than 10 years)
* '69 honda 160 w/6k miles (that's more than 10 years)
* '71 honda ct 70 w/1.5k miles (that's more than 10 years)
hey, i'm seeing a trend here...

'06 prius. uh oh, the new kid on the block.

10 years ain't exactly scary to me for roi.

pray tell, oh, open-minded one, what statement do you feel i'm trying to make to the public-at-large?

(if you're going to claim that an unnamed magazine quoted one single vehicle as being the end-all, please be good enough to tell us what oracle of eco-motive knowledge it was.)

Only if you are considering only fuel costs, perhaps: A Civic Hybrid costs about $4500 more than a comparable LX Sedan. Let's take the "average" case of driving 12,000 miles per year. The hybrid would save you around $500+/year in gasoline alone, using 42 MPG vs. 29 MPG combined EPA rating and assuming gasoline at a low $4/gallon (this is very conservative - it's not going be cheaper). So it would take you about 9 years to break if you are just looking at fuel costs. However, the hybrid will have a higher residual (as a percentage of purchase price) and you would qualify for federal tax credit. The federal tax credit is only a fraction of what it used to be, but some cities offer additional incentives, as well (rebates, free downtown parking, carpool lane privileges, etc.).

So, the Civic makes sense and it's probably the least compelling example: The Prius starts at $21,500 - only about $2500 more than the base Camry. The Prius gives you a lot for the money and pretty much matches the interior space of the Camry.

Have you checked used Insight prices? They haven't depreciated much at all. Most households have more than two or more vehicles with one largely serving as a commute vehicle. When you need to haul the family around, take the other car. But with very easy 60+ MPG economy (as noted by ChopsJazz above), the Insight would make a great commute vehicle. It's also all-aluminum, purpose-built form the ground-up, built at Tochigi factory much like some other very special car.

That generalization is about as accurate as saying: Sports cars are image cars.

Or using a similar line of thinking applied to the cars folks on this site love:
Why would you buy a <strike>Prius</strike> NSX?! Don't you know a <strike>8 year old Corolla will save you more</strike> $15K EVO with $3K in mods will kill it in the quarter mile?

There are many dimensions to vehicle ownership, the financial aspect only being one of them. I particularly like the technology and engineering that goes into sports cars and I think many hybrid owners are drawn by this, as well. Others are drawn by different attributes. And even beyond the purely financial aspect, conserving fuel is a no brainer. I fail to see how it's a bad thing when people are voluntarily changing their habits to conserve a finite resource.

From a technical / engineering point of view: to me, it seems completely silly to simply waste free kinetic energy every time you brake. Hybrids try to capture some of the energy that would have otherwise been spent heating up the brakes, storing it, then use it when it's needed. Even F1 teams are looking into way to capture / store / use this energy. I don't see how improving efficiency is a bad thing.

In an article i read recently they stated that only the Mercury Mariner makes sense as a hybrid option (financially speaking) because it would only take about 2 years to recover the additional costs.

This is only obvious: vehicles that get crappy fuel economy to begin with benefit the greatest from hybrid technology! This is because savings are expressed as a percentage improvement over their pathetic gasoline-only counterpart's mileage. I believe the authors of these articles are asking the wrong question. I would ask: Should you buy a hybrid version of a car that's bigger than what you want over something smaller that fits your needs? The answer is: of course not.

Those numbers don't even take into account the potential expensive maintenance costs those hybrids could have vs their traditional counterparts.

As far as the myths about battery replacement costs, I think folks don't understand just how sophisticated the battery monitoring systems are on these cars. It's been nearly a decade since mainstream hybrids first hit the road. Real-world numbers (that represent billions of miles) are easy to find. Judge for yourself:

Last edited:

Believe it or not, sometimes I just like to cruise casually in the slow lane. It amuses me every time when so many Prius blow by me, especially if it's wet out and I'm driving my NSX like an 80 year old.

If I had to drive something good on gas I would be all over that Jetta TDI. IMO that is the car to have. No expensive batteries to replace and the seats are reasonably comfortable.

x2, vw tdi is as green as im willing to get, id even put biodiesel in one if they started selling biodiesel like regular gasoline/diesel, now thats dam green

That's right I forgot. At 84 MPG I could dive to Florida on about 12 gallons of gas. :biggrin: When I get there I can spend all the savings at the ER having my back repaired. :biggrin:

It actually doesn't ride all that bad. The only problem with the little thing is the road noise. The car weighs in at about 2300 lbs. And I think most of that weight savings comes at the cost of sound deadening material (and aluminum construction like the NSX). This car makes it's mileage numbers through low weight, aerodynamics, a super-efficient 3-cylinder 1L engine (purpose built for steady-state gas sipping) and an auxiliary battery/electric assist for accelerating.

Since I only commute alone, as I'll bet most others here do as well, it only makes sense to me to buy a small commuter vehicle.

frontal wedgie?!?

39920598hm5.jpg

Back