• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Purpose of hash marks on fenders?

A little something I have been thinking about and wondering about. I have seen these little hash marks (usually 2) on all sorts of different makes and models of different cars. i was wondering what the purpose or meaning was. Didn't know if it is just for style or just for one make to signify a special model or trim. I think they look pretty cool and may be adding them to the to do list on a future aftermarket front fender project.

If anyone has any real insight I would appreciate the information.

-Alec

A little something I have been thinking about and wondering about. I have seen these little hash marks (usually 2) on all sorts of different makes and models of different cars. i was wondering what the purpose or meaning was. Didn't know if it is just for style or just for one make to signify a special model or trim. I think they look pretty cool and may be adding them to the to do list on a future aftermarket front fender project.

If anyone has any real insight I would appreciate the information.

-Alec
I'm not sure if this is the same thing as how I am taking your post, but here in California, the land of hella flushing your toilet with whack offsets and garbage suspension... Usually, people lay stickers over the fender damage to mask what their whack ass camber has caused. I see this a lot. Is this what you are referring to? If no, I guess I am aging.:smile:

I could see that being a thing! but typically when I see them they are on nicer cars. I haven't been seeing them on civics or any other teenagers super stance car.

Here are the ones I'm talking about.

attachment.php

-Alec

Attachments

• C7-Corvette-Stingray-RF-Fender-Hash-Mark-Stripe-19.jpg
    C7-Corvette-Stingray-RF-Fender-Hash-Mark-Stripe-19.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 3,268
I could see that being a thing! but typically when I see them they are on nicer cars. I haven't been seeing them on civics or any other teenagers super stance car.

Here are the ones I'm talking about.

attachment.php

-Alec
Ahhh, okay. Those are just racing stripes on fenders.

I think it is just for style. Emphasizes the width of the fenders and also brings out any creases or interesting body lines on those panels. Should be good for +5 horsepower.

I thought you meant something more like this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 3,207
I thought you meant something more like this.

attachment.php

Heck yeah! That's the exact look I'm going for!! I don't even get surprised anymore by some of this crazy stuff people do.

I have seen many of these stripes on the grand sport vettes, but also a bunch of other makes and models. I just didn't know if there was some cool history behind it or some racing inspired significance?

-Alec

yes there is a performance and racing heritage associated with the fender stripes

The Corvette Grand Sport has sported those fender stripes for years. I believe when you buy one you have the option with or without the stripes.

The Corvette Grand Sport has sported those fender stripes for years. I believe when you buy one you have the option with or without the stripes.
^this^
They were placed on the fenders / mirrors of race cars back before the cellphone computer tec hit the racing. So pit crew would know when their car was coming up on pit lane. The numbers on the hood/side were often hard to see. Origionaly they used tape (3 lines) back in 1963 when the idea came about. At the time the pit lane was part of the race track they came in hot! Pit crew dident want to jump out in front of the wrong car and the markings helped identify their car. Chevy just popularized it when they used it to identify their Grand Sport Corvette "race version" turned trim model. More info on the Grand Sport Corvette if your interested. http://www.grandsportcorvette.com/gs/gsdiff.htm

Last edited:
DRIFTER;1875977 Pit crew dident want to jump out in front of the wrong car and the markings helped identify their car. [/QUOTE said:
I can appreciate that!

An interesting bit of racing trivia.

Back