• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

quarter panel bolts has been touched, problems?

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a 1997 Acura NSX with only 6000 miles from the orginal owner. Almost perfect except for one small scratch and one rock chip. I noticed the rear quarter panel bolts on both sides had been turned, touched and retouch with touch-up paint. I did not see any overspray on the car (top and bottom). Auto body shop said there is no sign of paintwork or body damage. Said maybe the panels were perhaps loose and retighten. Has anyone come to this experience or heard of it before?

As always, thanks!

P.S: Also, anyone know how to fix a small scratch (nickel size length and about 1/32 thick, down to gray primer) besides shooting the whole panel?

Brought the car! So...

We had it inspected by an Acura dealer and it showed a clean body. We look all over the bottom of the car, and there is no sign of body damage or part replacement. All the other screws/bolts are in place. I don't know why the 4 bolts were touched.

So... now I am one proud owner of a 1997 Acura NSX!

Congratulations on your new purchase.... They are some great cars. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine :D

You may wish to get together with the local NSX owners this Saturday for the monthly luncheon. PM or email me for the details if you are interested....

red97nsx said:
We had it inspected by an Acura dealer and it showed a clean body. We look all over the bottom of the car, and there is no sign of body damage or part replacement. All the other screws/bolts are in place. I don't know why the 4 bolts were touched.

So... now I am one proud owner of a 1997 Acura NSX!

I differ a little in view from other NSX ownes. Just like most though, upon finding the bolts had been removed I would have looked further into it and inspected it closer. However, just because the bolts or fenders were removed doesn't really mean anything. I for one take fenders off most of the cars I've owned for various reasons. Sometimes it is to get better access to the doors jams to run speaker wire for aftermarket speakers, or to just take them off because I'm curious. When I first got my NSX, I bought the OEM service manual and within two weeks removed the door panels (Mostly to see what window regulator I had and to install some replacement speakers) had the lower dash out, removed the OEM subwoofer just so I can see what it looked like, removed the rear pannels so I could see where the ECU was and the main relay and such. Anyway, I think you did the right thing in closely inspecting the car once you found the bolts to have been removed, but I wouldn't worry about it anymore since you found nothing. There probably was an inocent reason for it. Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy the car.:)

I also think that a body repair doesn't necessarily indicate a major problem, as long as it has been done properly. A top-notch body professional can make a car look (and drive and last) just as good as new to virtually everyone except another top-notch body professional.

I'm not saying this car has had body work - by all indications, it hasn't - but even if it has, it's no big deal. And if you can't even tell, then it doesn't matter.

True. I'll get to the bottom of this mystery. I don't care for car with body work or repairs. I guess I am a little picky.

Anyway, I'll have another Acura dealer look at it and get their opinion.

Thanks.:D

red97nsx said:
True. I'll get to the bottom of this mystery. I don't care for car with body work or repairs. I guess I am a little picky.

Anyway, I'll have another Acura dealer look at it and get their opinion.

If you're really trying to get to the bottom of it, don't take it to another dealer. Take it to a top-notch, high-end body shop. A good body man can tell in an instant if there's been any body work.

Back