• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about OEM suspension and custom wheels

My current OEM wheels are powder coated in black, and I have been thinking about getting a set of silver wheels. My original plan was to get another set of OEM wheels in OEM color, however my wife resent the idea of getting two sets of the same wheels. So I am looking into the Advan and Prodrive wheels. I know that most of you guys lower the car with the custom wheels. My question is that, is lowering a must? Because I've seen some of bad examples of custom-wheels-in-OEM-suspension setting. Some of them look like an SUV in a NSX shell.

Lowering is NOT a must if you don't mind people making fun of you. :biggrin:

I think the easiest change to do is the Bilstein struts. Put it on the lower perch (7/8" drop) and be done with it. If you ever want to go back to stock, you can always put it back up to the higher perch which is stock height.

Last edited:
I know that most of you guys lower the car with the custom wheels.
Not true. The proper way to lower a car is with the suspension (shocks, springs, coilovers), not by getting smaller-than-stock tires. I don't know anyone who has done the latter.

Not true. The proper way to lower a car is with the suspension (shocks, springs, coilovers), not by getting smaller-than-stock tires. I don't know anyone who has done the latter.

Did I miss something? Did the OP ever mention getting smaller-than-stock tires?

It would look a lot better if you lowered it.....if you do not want to lower it much you can try the zanardi suspension. Otherwise some lower springs and shocks will do.....I would suggest coilovers over everything else.

Did I miss something? Did the OP ever mention getting smaller-than-stock tires?

I think Ken missed the point here, the OP was meaning lower the car together with getting wheels.

I think 17/18 can look OK if not lowered, but of course will look way better with a mild drop, either bilsteins or tein S-Tech.

If you are not lowering you probably want to stay away from 18/19.

you pretty much answered your own question... it will look like an suv in a nsx shell. personally I wouldnt bother with new wheels if I wasnt going to lower.

you pretty much answered your own question... it will look like an suv in a nsx shell. personally I wouldnt bother with new wheels if I wasnt going to lower.

I think that's a little extreme, I would still want aftermarket wheels even if I could not lower the car, I would just take that into consideration, maybe stick to a 17/17 (if you do 17/17 the face design of the wheel is critical) or 17/18 setup and I would take the tire size into consideration too.

Last edited:
Usually the first thing I do to a car is lower it. Even with stock wheels, it looks better, then when I get new wheels, it looks that much sweeter... but thats just me :biggrin:

I had 17/18 wheels on my car with OEM ride height. Sure the younger crowd will make fun of the wheel gap, but the older and wiser owners understand why. :wink: Part of the reason that the front end sits so high is I have my spare removed.

Shamless Plug...These wheels are available in the Parts for Sale forum :biggrin:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all the feedback! I decided to stay with stock wheels so I can keep the factory settings.

Back